rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Virtually Invisible 300 Wireless Rear Speakers

Bose Moderators:

When connected to a SoundTouch 300, are the Virtually Invisible Speakers part of a discrete 5.1 setup or are they part of a virtual enhanced matrix from the sound bar?

Is it safe to say the speakers in Lifestyle 600 and 650 are part of a discrete setup.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Virtually Invisible 300 Wireless Rear Speakers

Author Accepted Answer selected by rickatk
15 REPLIES 15
James_S
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

It's a discrete 5.1 when the audio signal to the system as 5.1. If the signal is stereo, the system will do some pro-logic-type decoding to all 5 speakers for video sources.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Read the specs.  The Bose Soundtouch 300 with rear speakers and subwoofer can do Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.  And, of course, the Bose 600 and 650 can as well.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@jimgfitz wrote:

Read the specs.  The Bose Soundtouch 300 with rear speakers and subwoofer can do Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.  And, of course, the Bose 600 and 650 can as well.

I read the the specs before putting my question to the forum moderators.

Looking at the Bose systems, Bose says the ST 300 supports Dobly Digital and DTS. What is not clear, to me anyway, does the ST300 downsample the 5.1 channels in the rear speaker setup rather than sending the full signal to the rear speakers when activated. Similar to what the LS600/650 series does with Dolby Digital plus and True HD. The latter is a 7 speaker standard which the Lifestyle systems don’t physically have. There is some trickery to provide the virtual channels. 

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but there have been a few posts complaining that the ST 300 rear speakers don’t pump out the sound very loud. I am curious if this is because the Bose ST 300 sound bar system in not providing full discrete channels in it’s setup.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

It's 5.1.  You can turn up the rear speakers using the Soundtouch app.  I had my rear speakers on +3 but that was too loud so I turned them down to +2.  And yes, of course, the 600 and 650 only have 5 speakers, so they have to downgrade 7.1 to 5.1.

Jbaker
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 1, 2017

Hello,

Its definately discrete 5.1. I can even run one of those 5.1 test discs which plays each speaker in turn ("left, right, centre, rear left, rear right") it plays from the intended speaker.

Only thing i found is you have to be careful to put your devices on the correct settings as the format support is pretty limited. Bitstream Dolby/Dts works perfectly.

Hope this helps
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

My point is there are very subtle marketing ques at play when trying to determine if the ST300 is a true, discrete 5.1 system.

The only reason I raise the question is if the ST 300 turns into a true, discrete 5.1 system when rear speakers and a sub are added, the differences between the 300 system v the Lifestyle systems are minimal.

Adjusting rear speaker volumes doesn’t really answer the question.

Judging by another string in this forum the question “is the Sound Touch 300 a true 5.1 system” generated much debate with quite a few responses each way. I would say no one, but Bose really knows.

Conspicuously absent was an answer to the question from Bose.
jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by rickatk
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Good to know the ST 300 when combined with rear speakers and sub will provide a discrete 5.1 experience. Sounds like the build quality and speaker combination is pretty good too. All of which accounts for the good sound I heard in audition at the Boss store.

The interesting thing about the ST 300 is the integrated R Center L configuration in a sound bar design. Very tidy.

Getting back to the original question...is the Lifestyle systems worth the price jump?

Spec wise not a huge difference between models. The sound is very good on all three systems. All three systems offer wireless rear speakers and apparently discrete 5.1 decoding
(virtual 7.1 for DD + sources are only available in the Lifestyle system). Lifestyles offer a separate component switching.

There is a little more work to setup, stands wall mounting etc.

Really does boil down to the quality of the sound and personal tastes in the end.

Fortunately Bose has given us choice between three different very good sounding systems to choose from.

Highlighted
lena
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 7, 2017

It is a 5.1 system when playing DTS and 5.1-AC3 (Dolby Digital).

When playing Multichannel PCM, the ST300 is NOT able to play proper 5.1 - Which is important for anyone who has a PS4 connected. To get proper audio, you have to switch the PS4 to play Bitstream Dolby oder DTS.

Also, when playing Stereo content, there is a breeze of transcoding to the rear channels, but as there are no further setting possibilites, you cannot compare that transcoding to an Onkyo receiver or similar.

But to make one thing clear: The VI300 are a brilliant addition to the ST300. Much more then the AM300 is (which is also ok, but too expensive).