Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Virtually Invisible 300 Wireless Rear Speakers

I'm also trying to decide if it's worth $1,300 plus tax to upgrade to the Bose 600 or $2,300 plus tax to upgrade to the Bose 650.  I have until mid January to decide.  As of now, I think I will stay with the Bose 300 with subwoofer and rear speakers.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Those are historic price points for the Lifestyle Systems. Bose upped the game with the lower priced sound bars, subs and rear speakers.
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Those are the current incremental cost to upgrade.

The actual purchase prices are:

Bose Soundtouch 300 $700

Bose Acoustimas 300 $700

Bose Virtually Invisible Speakers $300

Bose 600 Lifestyle $3,000

Bose 650 Lifestyle $4,000

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I just drove up to the Bose outlet store to listen again to the Bose Lifestyle 650.  I was not impressed.  I'm pretty sure I will keep my Bose 300 with subwoofer and rear speakers.  The Bose 300 is more mellow.  The Bose 650 was shrill when listening to some relatively loud dialogue.  It actually hurt my ears.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I just drove up to the Bose outlet store to listen again to the Bose Lifestyle 650.  I was not impressed.  I'm pretty sure I will keep my Bose 300 with subwoofer and rear speakers.  The Bose 300 is more mellow.  The Bose 650 was shrill when listening to some relatively loud dialogue.  It actually hurt my ears.

jimggfitz

Great and informative exchanges. I think you worked through your decision making process in a logical manner. Nice breakdown of the prices. Illustrates my point that Bose has elevated the soundbar price point relative to the Lifestyle systems. Bose has also elevated the build and 5.1 capabilities with the rear speakers etc.

The Bose products offer an array of features, some quite subtle. The inetegration, component application and finish, offer so much more than meets the eye. Bose offers just enough too. Not a lot of extra useless features.

I have found the all most “bright” sound to be typical of the jewel speakers. They are very clear, detailed and precise. Likewise I found my Cinemate 130 setup also to be a little warmer. I heard the LS650 setup in a Bose theatre in the Vancouver BC store. It was very nice. Very detailed, no strain on the ears. Mind you the listening space is optimal. I wonder if the shrill would dicipate in a larger space? I am going to be in Vancouver this weekend. I will be sure drop in to the Bose store. That destination is a regular stop for me.

I enjoyed the discussion and that is what this forum is all about.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

This is how I was looking at Bose options...

Bose Soundtouch 300 with integrated LCR speakers and 5.1 $1700

Bose 600 Lifestyle with LCR separates and 5.1 $3,000
Bose 650 Lifestyle with LCR separates and 5.1 $4,000

After auditioning these systems on Saturday I am of the opinion that all three systems sound and look really good. The Bose store in Vancouver has been made over and their theatre now showcases the LS 650, a Wave Radio and SoundTouch 30 quite nicely in a living room style setting, gone is the movie theatre look. Those LS650 Omnijewel, speakers are tiny mounted on the wall on each side of a flat screen tv. I found the sound to be very spacious and not particularly bright. Certainly very detailed as expected.

In other parts of the store the LS 600 and SoundTouch 300 were set up in 5.1 configurations. Again both systems sounded very good. The sales associate had the ST300 VI speakers turned up and they performed admirably. Very loud and clear, eliminating any doubt this was a 5.1 system. The discrete or matrix question about the 5.1 capabilities of the ST300 didn’t seem to matter. Imperial battle cruisers, TIE fighters and Rebel X-wings were flying everywhere. The associate also demonstrated the ST300 system in 4.00 (front and rear - no sub) and 2.1(front and sub) all configurations resulted great sound. 

The VI rear speakers were mounted on the recommended thin Bose stands that have been in service for many years. The speaker power /receivers bricks sat discretely behind the chairs and were plugged into nearby wall outlets. Certainly a clean ideal setup.

I had a close look at the SoundTouch app that powered these systems and was pleased to see the integration of the hometheater controls into the app. The sales associate had all the store systems loaded on to the single app. Nice to see him swiping along the various setups. The SoundTouch app was working flawlessly. Well done Bose!  

Bose has done a great job with these three systems, worthy of the price tag. Seeing and listening to these systems were reminiscent of the time when I first audition Bose Lifestyle systems, with the little stacked jewel cubes, many years ago in my local high end audio store, that sadly doesn’t carry Bose any more.

Regardless, which premium Bose HT system chosen, I think people will be happy with their purchase!