GCALLY
Registered since

Oct 16, 2014

Volume Level on Power Up

Hi,
Can anybody help me with volume control on power up? Mine has 3 times defaulkted to max (even though when it switch off it was at virtually min as I was going to sleep and had it on a timer). 
My wife went ballsistic as you can imagine when this happens at 6.30am and the whole house is woken up. Is it a bug in the software? Anybody else having this trouble. It's a great product but I cannot use it if this keeps happening!
Cheers,
Mike
8 REPLIES 8
Mike_Hyman
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Re: Volume Level on Power Up

Hi GCALLY,
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue with our product.  I would like to know a bit more so I can best assist you.
-Which model of SoundTouch product do you have?
-How are you setting the timer, and to which source?
-Do you have the system set to come on at 6:30?
-Have you tried resetting the timer to a different time or source?
Thanks.
Panifica
Registered since

Oct 16, 2014

I have an SA-4 and more or less the same problem. I would like to setup a default audio volume level on powerup. Aparently there is no such function???
GCALLY
Registered since

Oct 16, 2014

Hi, Its a SoundTouch 20. I have it going off on a simple plug timer which removes all power. Then it come son automatically - the power. The unit doesn’t of course - I have to hit a preset. I do this and the vol comes on full blast ! Resetting the timer - erm not sure that’s goting to help really - it’s just bringing on the power to the unit - time is sort of irrelevant when it comes to volume is it not? Can you try it yourself maybe and you would see what I mean. Now most of the time it reverts to last vol level but approx. 1 in 4 times it comes on at 50% of the max and this is very loud just as you wake up!
GCALLY
Registered since

Oct 16, 2014

I posted this again as when I replied from my e-mail my own tel numbers etc. were also copied. So this is in reposne to Mike Bose above. I agree with Panifica - need to be able to have some sort of a default level. At least very low anyway and not 50% Vol !!!
bigfella
Registered since

Nov 2, 2014

I have had this problem with my soundtouch 20 for 12 months. Not only on power up but  also when using computer/tablet on the home network.We have lived with problem and make sure we do not use the home network when the unit is on. That is until this weekend when my family were home using the network and minutes before it went to full volume my 3 year old grandchild was sitting within 2 meters of the unit.Had he been there I am sure it would have damaged his hearing.BEWARE THE UNIT IS DANGEROUS AND CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOur HEARING.
Now contemplating what to do.
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

GCALLY,

From your description, it appears that the reason that the SoundTouch 20 is defaulting to 50% volume is due to the plug timer you are using. Unplugging the power (or cutting the power via this timer) for 4+ minutes will reset the device and clear any memory of its last volume state.  When the timer gives it power again, it will reboot and return to the initial 50% volume. 

To avoid this: Simply remove the plug timer and allow the hardware to stay powered up in it's stand-by state when not in use. When in this power-saving state, the SoundTouch 20 will show a dim Wi-Fi LED and the SA-4 LED on the connection panel will blink slowly (1 sec on, 3 sec off). This will allow the systems basic memory of the last volume level will be saved between uses.
Unplugging or disconnecting power to any SoundTouch product would absolutely cause this problem. For other users experiencing similar issues, please look for anything which could be cutting power to your device when not in use. (Timers, "Green" power strips, outlets controlled by wall-switches, etc.) Make sure your product has steady access to power, even when you are not listening to it.
Thank you. 

GCALLY
Registered since

Oct 16, 2014

Hi George, OK this is not what I hoped for as I use the device by my bed and I do not want to leave it on all night blinking! Hardly great for sleep. Also I want it to turn off after a pre-determined amount of time so that I can sleep. So a sleep function basically. That’s why I am using a timer. So basically you are saying all Bose products cannot be used in this way and we cannot have a Sleep function (very basic feature of many many radios). This is not good and I am really surpsed Bose do not have a small cell battery in the device to keep the basic firmware settings ands indeed things like last vol setting in volatile RAM. These cell batts last for years and years with no need to replace as the load is tiny. I think I will need to return my uniot then in this cae as it’s not going to work for me if this is the case. GCALLY
Andreas Girstmair
Participant
Registered since

Jan 16, 2015

Hello!
George writes that the system would save the last volume level between the uses if the system is in stand-by. This is -at least by my system- not true. After power up from stand-by there is always the default volume level and this one is too loud for me. Please add an option to set the volume level after power up. THX