Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 25, 2015

Wave SoundTouch Airplay - Unstable

Issue with Wave SoundTouch Airplay: initially the system appears in Airplay list, however after a while it disapears and a power cycle is required to restore functionality. It seems that the AirPlay server may be crashing, since it will play for a while - or be idle - but eventually disappear and, if playing, cut out.
When Airplay becomes unavailable, the system is otherwise fully functional - both with remote and IOS/Android app etc. Wireshark capture shows that SSDP annoucements (leading to RomPager Advanced server) continue to appear and the system webUI is also running. Firmware is s9423.1000011.0.
Associated switches had IGMP snooping enabled, however this has now been disabled in case there is a bug with RFC4541 implementation there (with no change in behaviour). There are also other Airplay devices connected to the same SSID that do not have any stability issues.
The unit is connected to a Uniquity UAP WiFi environment, with two AP's within range. It does roam occasionally but the drop-out does not appear to be related to roaming events (based on times).
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 25, 2015

Re: Wave SoundTouch Airplay - Unstable

To add, issue is present when using wired connection as well.
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Hi there.  Would it be possible to capture data logs from the SoundTouch system and email them to us at technicalsupport@bose.com?  We'd like to see what's happening on our end to see if we can determine the issue.
To gather logs:  

• Insert a USB drive into the Wave system
  • Recreate the Airplay issue
  • From within the application go to Explore > Settings > About > Select the Wave system
  • The logs will be written to the USB drive

Thanks!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 25, 2015

Hi, thank you for the reply.
In fact reproducing this is very easy. Just skip tracks from Apple Music a few times and eventually the Bose system will crash. However, the system continues to display 'Airplay' on the screen and the logs support that it thinks it's still playing, however it is no longer responding to MDNS queries and the Apple client disconnects. Note, Apple client is iPad Air, IOS 9.2.
Relevant log extracts below, I will mail the complete file as requested. Track skipped at 18:03.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 25, 2015

*18:30:03 that should have read.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 22, 2015

J1mbo,
In the interest of the thread’s readability, we have removed the excerpt of the logs from your post, but will forward it through our technical team as well. Thank you for sending us the log files. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 25, 2015

I received no further reply from Bose on this issue and so I had no option but to return the system and claim a full refund.
I do have to wonder how many long-standing customers like me are now leaving Bose, because of the lack of AirPlay in new products and clearly disfunctional AirPlay in older products. Some C-level humble-pie really is needed in the face of the Beats issue.