rnash
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Wave SoundTouch IV - must power cycle stereo or power cycle wifi for iphone to detect speaker

Wave Soundtouch IV was set up on wifi and can be controlled by Soundtouch app on iphone, PC, Mac and can also be controlled by Alexa. Next day, Alexa can control the Wave Soundtouch IV, but Sound touch app on iphone, PC or Mac cannot detect the system. If I unplug power from the SoundTouch IV, and then turn it back on, then the iphone, PC and MAC can find and control the system. However the next day or hours later, the same problem occurs again. I have also found that rebooting the wifi  restores the ability for the sound touch app to work on the iphone, PC and Mac. The Wavetouch remote control and Alexa works all the time thought. I find it interesting that when the Soundtouch app cannot not find the system, Alexa can still control the radio.This is a frustrating problem.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
rnash
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Re: Wave SoundTouch IV - must power cycle stereo or power cycle wifi for iphone to detect speaker

Moderator,

You might want to move this to the Wave Radio section. (I did not see that section when I created this post. However, the problem seems simular to some of the issues reported under "SoundTouch Speakers".

Thank You

Randy

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Wave SoundTouch IV - must power cycle stereo or power cycle wifi for iphone to detect speaker

Hi Randy,

Thank you for the post, and welcome to the community!

Since the post is regarding the SoundTouch function of the system we can leave it here.

What is the brand and model of your wireless router?  If rebooting your router temporarily resolves your issue, we'll want to investigate.

Just to confirm, the app stops detecting your system on both your iPhone and Mac?

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Highlighted
rnash
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Brandon,

Yes, neither iphone or mac would find the speaker.

The router/cable modem is Arris SBG6700-AC.

II tried a few different things since reporting the problem:

1) I placed the Wave Radio onto a reserved ip address (so that dhcp would always assign the same ip address to the wave radio).

2) I enabled upnp on the wifi router

3) I enabled SMB on Windows 10.

Yesterday I was reliably finding the speaker on my iphone, and pc. However, my wife was not able to find the speaker on her iphone (without restarting the network). We did not try her pc or her mac again. 

Today, I had to try several times before detected on my iphone, and unable to connect from my PC. But have no trouble controling using Alexa app.

Please advise if I should need upnp and SMB. I would like to turn those back off for security reasons.

Thank You,

Randy

Highlighted
rnash
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Brandon,

I spoke to Bose technical support on the phone yeasterday and was advised to collect logs and email them to Soundtouchsupportus(at)bose.com. I did this for some of the logs, but some log files were too large (more than 100M) to send by email. Can you arrange for me to send the logs by drop box? My account ID is [Modification by moderator].

One curious observation: When PC Soundtouch app cannot connect to the speaker, I also cannot ping the speaker (Wave Soundtouch IV) IPV4 address over the network. Yet, the PC Alexa app has no problem connecting and streaming music even while the speaker does not respond to a ping. The Alexa App is running on the same PC as the Soundtouch app.

Randy 

Highlighted

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the info!

We do not arrange the sending of logs via drop box, I would recommend giving the technical support team a quick call so they can advise you of the best course of action to get those logs over to us! 

If you require any further assistance, do not hesitate to reach out!

Jessie - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
rnash
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

Jessie,

I have since spent 2 more sessions with second tier support walking though all router settings and etc. with no change in performance. After working,the following day, I always repower either the network or Bose Soundtouch to make the speaker recognize the soundtouch app on PC, Iphone, or mac.

Using wireshark, I have isolated the problem to the bose speaker getting into a state where it continues to send SSDP M-Search and Notify packets to the multicast address as it should. However, when the PC or Iphone logs onto the network, it isends an arp broadcast with the Bose IP address to request the Bose mac address, and the Bose speaker does not respond. I have shared this information with the second tier support, but they did not seem interested is this information. They only appeared interested in changing more router settings.

Short of returning the Bose product for a refund, I dont know what else I can do. Bose does not appear interested in solving this even after hours tracking down exactly where the Bose SountTouch system protocol is failing and providing a wireshark trace. The Soundtouch system should always respond to an arp. 

Randy

Highlighted

Hi Randy! 

Thanks for reaching out again! 

I have raised this issue with a higher level technical support to see if there is anything more than we can suggest for you in regards to the issue. 

I appreciate your patience in regards to this! 

Have a great day! 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted

Hi Randy! 

I have heard back from the team and they wish to give you a call to look in depth at your issue. Please send us over a private message with your details and the times you are available so I can get this arranged for you!

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Highlighted
rnash
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 17, 2019

I wanted to post an update to my issue:

Note that the problem of the Bose wave system getting into a mode where it would send SSDP notifications and not respond to ARPs was experienced with the Arris SBG6700-AC Cable Modem, Firmware: D30GW-EAGLE-1.5.3.0-GA-00-NOSH. This is a relativly commonly used cable modem andWifi router used with Comcast.

I replaced the Cablemodem with an Arris SBG7400AC modem and had a problem with connecting to the Bose system being unpredictable. It would connect sometimes, and then not connect another time, but the Bose did not get into a state like it did before requiring a power cycle to restore . If I waited a few more minutes and tried again, it would eventually work. I experienced other problems with the SBG7400AC modem and discovered the modem uses the Intel Puma-5 chippset which has known latency problems.I returned the SBG7400AC.

I reinstalled the Arris SBG6700AC configured in bridging mode and installed a Netgear AC1750 Nighthawk wifi router

Model R6400 v2, Firmware: V1.0.3.66_10.0.50. So far, the Bose has been able to connect reliably to the soundtouch app. I could state that this has resolved the problem. However, I would suggest the Bose system should be more robust to behavours of popular router. I never had any problems with the original Arris router for any other applications or clients. My other applications on the network such as Nest, Amazon Echo, FireStick, LG TVs, NAS servers, PCs, Macs and Iphones never experienced any problems. 

I have already spent too much time and money getting this this to work. I previously shared my wireshark traces and logs with Bose so they can address the problem if they chose to do so. 

Randy