Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2018

What audio format is playing on ST300?

Hi!

Coming from a Sonos playbar I feel that there is a couple of nice useful features missing on the ST300. For example, how do i know what audio signal is coming in from in this case my Apple TV 4k? On the Playbar you could easily see in the settings menu what signal is being played, 2.0, 5.1 dolby digital and so on.

Why isn't this available for me to see?

I try to figure out what is the best way for me to connect the Apple TV to get Dolby 5.1 to the ST300 but there is no way to see if my tv is passing through the 5.1 signal via hdmi arc. Not all tvs seem to able to do this.

Am I missing something here?

Advise on this would be very appreciative.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: What audio format is playing on ST300?

Author Accepted Answer selected by oskar.ax

Hi oskar.ax and SkyYYZ, 

Thanks for the post. I would agree. If we had an option to see what format the ST300 detected, it would be very helpful in setups as well as troubleshooting no/poor audio issues. I'll forward this on to our Development team here. Without this, the only way to tell is by checking the source device connected to the soundbar. Hopefully Philips will be able to advise. Currently, the ST300 supports Dolby Digital and DTS. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Hey oskar.ax,

Hopefully this thread will point you in the right direction, particularly if you are using a Samsung TV.  The short answer is you currently have to confirm it yourself.  There has been a 'feature request' to include audio info on the SoundTouch app but it appears it hasn't been reviewed by a Moderator.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 27, 2018

Hi! Thanks for the link. I have a Philips 4k tv so I'm not sure if it will pass through multichannel audio from my Apple TV to ST300. And because there is no way for me to check what the ST300 gets from the TV I will have se if Philips customer service can give me an answer. Or use the hdmi-in on the ST300 instead from the Apple TV should solve it?
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

I haven't tried to connect anything other than the TV into the ST 300 (yet).  I do know that the ST will play whatever audio format it is fed directly though.  Does Apple TV have a way to show what audio signal it is outputting?  In any case, I believe the only down side to that is you lose the benefit of ARC if it's not coming through HDMI from your TV.  Mileage varies with ARC... works for some, doesn't work for others, or works but then fails to work.

But yeah, if Philips can give you information about how it handles audio, then you manually can confirm the ST is receiving all discrete channels.  The link provided earlier leads to a true DD 5.1 and a DTS 5.1 file, both of which are video files with audio.  They can be placed on a USB drive and sent through ARC to the ST.  Perhaps Apple TV has a USB input or you transfer the files to it.  I wouldn't know as I don't have one.  My set up is just cable box, streaming and downloaded content via USB.

(Samsung TV example)

samsungtvaudio.PNG

Good luck!  Perhaps a future release of the ST app will make this process easier.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by oskar.ax

Hi oskar.ax and SkyYYZ, 

Thanks for the post. I would agree. If we had an option to see what format the ST300 detected, it would be very helpful in setups as well as troubleshooting no/poor audio issues. I'll forward this on to our Development team here. Without this, the only way to tell is by checking the source device connected to the soundbar. Hopefully Philips will be able to advise. Currently, the ST300 supports Dolby Digital and DTS. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support

View solution in original post