iSchorsch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 11, 2016

When will Bose SoundTouch be on IFTTT?

I just wonder if its possible to get a comment from a Bose official on the topic?!

I would love to control my SoundTouch equipment with IFTTT.

41165872_1821895157918538_9025996312255922176_o.png

4 REPLIES 4
Tony_A
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: When will Bose SoundTouch be on IFTTT?

Hello iSchorsch

Thanks for writing in!

I haven't heard any news on integrating with IFTTT, but I will certainly run this up to see if it's possible to update via software in the future.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

German1513
Participant
Registered since

Oct 8, 2018

I hope that now that the speakers that BOSE competes with have released IFTTT integration, BOSE finally takes this seriously and work on this. It is a joke that "smart" speakers cannot connect with IFTTT

SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

In the past, people have talked about opening up their home firewall port and thereby exposing the SoundTouch REST API to the world, so that they can control their SoundTouch from the cloud, and thereby by using IFTTT. That is a completely wrong architecture and a security risk. Genberally speaking, an IoT device is supposed to connect with a service in the cloud, not the other way round. Unfortunately, the architecture of SoundTouch is like a conventional device that acts as a service, not as a client - that is the issue. This is the same mistake that other WiFi speaker companies (like Sony) made over a decade ago. .

I agree with others that controlling a speaker from IFTTT is a somewhat stupid use case. The real advantage would be if it started supporting voice commands. If Bose decides to fix this speaker to make it start behaving like an IoT device, it would also be great to build in a voice assistand like Cortana into the speaker... and implement automatic scheduled firmware and software updates. But I suspect that the fix would require new hardware, and therefore a new brand of devices. But keeping fingers crossed.

andylyonette
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

@SM wrote:

In the past, people have talked about opening up their home firewall port and thereby exposing the SoundTouch REST API to the world, so that they can control their SoundTouch from the cloud, and thereby by using IFTTT. That is a completely wrong architecture and a security risk. Genberally speaking, an IoT device is supposed to connect with a service in the cloud, not the other way round. Unfortunately, the architecture of SoundTouch is like a conventional device that acts as a service, not as a client - that is the issue. This is the same mistake that other WiFi speaker companies (like Sony) made over a decade ago. .

I agree with others that controlling a speaker from IFTTT is a somewhat stupid use case. The real advantage would be if it started supporting voice commands. If Bose decides to fix this speaker to make it start behaving like an IoT device, it would also be great to build in a voice assistand like Cortana into the speaker... and implement automatic scheduled firmware and software updates. But I suspect that the fix would require new hardware, and therefore a new brand of devices. But keeping fingers crossed.

I agree, this is exactly the gap BSTControl fills for SoundTouch speakers.  It lets you control them from the Internet and Google Home without needing to open up any ports on your router/firewall.  Currently in preview at https://bstcontrol.com.

Thanks,

Andy