Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 5, 2017

Why am i unable to play music from my iPhone 6 - or X thru my Soundtouch 10 speaker "Help"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Re: Why am i unable to play music from my iPhone 6 - or X thru my Soundtouch 10 speaker "Help&q

Author Accepted Answer selected by John Tate

I guess you are trying to play over the WiFi?

That is not possible, to play music stored on your phone(s) you have to pair them via bluetooth with the speaker. Everthing will play then (if not prohibited by some DRM)

Regards,

Central

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Re: Why am i unable to play music from my iPhone 6 - or X thru my Soundtouch 10 speaker "Help&q

Author Accepted Answer selected by John Tate

I guess you are trying to play over the WiFi?

That is not possible, to play music stored on your phone(s) you have to pair them via bluetooth with the speaker. Everthing will play then (if not prohibited by some DRM)

Regards,

Central

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 5, 2018

Re: Why am i unable to play music from my iPhone 6 - or X thru my Soundtouch 10 speaker "Help&a

Can you help me with why this is not possible? I have the same frustration. I have B&W and Yamaha speakers that I can connect to and control directly over wifi using Airplay. Bose does not seem to think this is useful and forces us to use Bluetooth however BT has 2 shortcomings 1) restricted bandwidth requires compression of the music and therefore losses 2) BT has a restricted range and won’t work if I leave the room with my device. It would be nice if Bose allowed us to connect to our iTunes cloud library. Is it any different to Spotify?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Why am i unable to play music from my iPhone 6 - or X thru my Soundtouch 10 speaker "Help&a

Hi stetleyjones, 

Thanks for your post. Currently, only music services available within the SoundTouch app can be streamed via Wi-Fi. An exception would be Spotify Connect. This feature can be used to stream content directly from the Spotify app, using Wi-Fi. Our current line of SoundTouch speakers does feature Bluetooth as an additional option, instead of Airplay. However, this wasn't always the case. Older models of SoundTouch speakers can be used with AirPlay, but not Bluetooth. For more information on Airplay, I suggest reading this feature announcement for Apple AirPlay 2. Additional details from our Product Line Manager can also be found HERE

I hope this information helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 5, 2018

Thanks so much for your reply Brian.

I am aware of the current capabilities of SoundTouch regarding BT and Airplay. This is the point of my post. What I don’t understand is why Bose chose to remove Airplay capability. Being able to stream music over wifi to your wifi capable sound system is so fundamental today that I never thought to check it before I made my purchase. I was indeed surprised to learn I could not. It would have been great to have BOTH BT and wifi streaming (Airplay) capabilities.

It is good news indeed that Bose is evaluating Airplay 2 for possible incorporation. I’d like to convey my most enthusiastic endorsement for this feature as it would rectify a serious constraint (for me) on an otherwise excellent system.

I look forward to progress on this issue with eager interest.

Many thanks
Stephen

The incorporation of AirPlay 2 capabilities as your