Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 22, 2016

Re: Why did you end-of-life ST 130 a year after release?

Thanks for your effort louisp and I regret being such a debbie downer on Bose but I am just beyond frustrated with a brand that I have been exclusively loyal to for 20+ years over this 130 fiasco.

Your thought process is exactly how I had my previous configuration set up between an ATV3 and Bose 321 system and it worked just fine for 10+ years but without rebroadcasting abilty which was the allure to a Soundtouch whole house upgrade.  The new ATV4's only have one single hdmi port for all in/out connections. No optical or rca outs like previous versions.

I know this may be a shortcoming on Apple's part but with all the current ARC, CRC & pass through technology that audio equipment possesses these days (including Bose), one would think a premium brand such as Bose would have all the ports on the 120 & 130 control unit be able to communicate and rebraodcast with each other as promised at the point of purchase.

It just appears to me and others that this was an intentional design on Bose' part to exclusively limit rebroadcasting ability and access to only their partnerships with music and media services....I know, it sound very conspiracy theorist, but I cannot come up with any other explanation as I have tried every reconfiguartion, work around and idea possible.

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Mar 13, 2016

JB2, please help me understand a bit better.  Does you Apple TV device have a optical (toslink) audio output or a coxial audio output.  If you would please tell me the exact name and model number of your Apple device.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 22, 2016

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-tv/apple-tv/apple-tv-64gb  

It is an Apple TV 4 64 GB

It does not have an optical, toslink or coaxial cable audio output.

It only has 1 hdmi, an ethernet input port, power input port and a micro port for servicing.

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Mar 13, 2016

JB2,

As I suspected there are switches available your Apple TV 4 configuration.  At least, I think it will work.  Check out this switch.  Good luck!

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 22, 2016

Ok Louisp, even though I'm not too excited about adding more equipment, wires and plugs I'll give it a whirl.

I previously tried hooking up the AppleTV 4 to a 2-way Hdmi A/B switch in an effort to choose between going direct to the tv or through the 130 and the 130 freaked out and kept cycling through all of the inputs.

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Mar 13, 2016

Sir, with respect please understand that I am not forcing you to purchase the switch.  It is merely a proposed solution.  New thought!  Did you try routing the Apple HDMI to your TV then using your TV's ARC, route an additional HDMI to your 130?

Best of luck!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 22, 2016

I understand Louisp and appreciate your effort to assist.

I did try your proposed Hdmi wiring and every other possible combination imaginable but again, all of the Hdmi ports on the 130 control unit are unable to rebroadcast out because of "firmware incapatability" per the Bose people. So no matter what wiring configuration I use or port I plug into, the rebroadcasting feature will not work.

I've also been poking around the forum to see if the optical toslink input has the same "firmware incapatability" issues and initial research indicates it does....I may still try the switch experiment as it's worth a $50 gamble but not holding out a lot of hope.

It appears as though the only ability to rebroadcast through the ST 130 out to other components is through the very limited Soundtouch music services or crumby Bluetooth connection.

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Mar 13, 2016

JB2,  I did not see the forest for the trees.  We both know the 130 does not have the capability to stream music to other devices.  With all said, very unfortunately, I have no firm solution for your problem although I will keep your issue in mind.

.......from the Apple community

"You cannot stream audio from the Apple TV wirelessly, with or without the Airport Express. Of course if you connect it directly to a sound system that itself streams audio to wireless speakers, you should be fine."

Regards,

Louis