Participant
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

Re: Why do I need to unplug all the time?

My cable modem/WiFi Router is a Netgear C6900
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 22, 2017

@bosefan123 wrote:
My cable modem/WiFi Router is a Netgear C6900

Netgear C6900 is a dual-band WiFi cable modem.  (NOTE:  There is no such thing as a tri-band if the AP supports only 2.4 Ghz & 5.0 Ghz.)  So try this: 

1.  Create an SSID (WPA2, AES/PSK) that is broadcasted on the 5.0 Ghz only; 

2.  Enable 20- or 40 Mhz channel-bonding.  If 80- or 160- Mhz channel-bonding is enabled, TURN IT OFF!

3.  Data Rates:  Disable 5.0 Ghz data rates from 1- to 11 Mbps, set 12-, 18- and 24 Mbps as Mandatory and the rest are Supported. 

4.  Disable 802.11ac if enabled.  

Once done, re-configure your Bose appliances to join this new SSID and observe if there are any improvements.  

Participant
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

Thanks, I will give this a try tonight.
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2018

I've got to chime in here. I have an ST20, and have spent countless hours rebooting router, rebooting speaker, re-adding speaker, assigning a fixed IP address, tinkering with other router settings, deleting and reinstalling the app software, and generally being frustrated by the speakers ability to stay connected to my wifi. The radio and wifi router are approximately 25 feet from each other.

I have a Logitech wifi radio that sits on the second floor of my house. I've owned this for 4 years. I can count on zero fingers the number of times I have had an issue with this device maintaining a connection. I hit the power button, and it turns on. Period.

With the ST20 this is a crap shoot - sometimes it will work, sometimes it wont. I cant tell you how I get it to work as I have to perform so many maneuvers I lost track of what I did that made it work. Sometimes the Volume - and 2 button combo works and the wifi network shows up on my iPhone, and many times it doesn't.

Not looking for anything other than (1) a reasonable explantion why this very expensive device consistently drops the wifi connection (2) an explanation of why Logitech has this figured out and Bose has not and (3) when the consumers can expect it to be fixed, once and for all?

Appreciate a meaningful response.

Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 22, 2017

@kearnek wrote:

a reasonable explantion why this very expensive device consistently drops the wifi connection 

Not here to defend Bose.

Bose is a company that specializes in audio products.  Some companies add "wireless" to their product so they could sell more.  (I know because I deal with so-called Internet of Trash daily at work.)   

If people think going to SONOS is better, guess again.  SONOS got fooled.  All their products are 2.4 Ghz ONLY.  It is MORE EXPENSIVE to buy single-band (2.4 Ghz only) WiFi NIC than a dual-band WiFi radio.   SONOS got conned!

Bose don't know how to fix the wireless because they don't have anyone who knows how to (or WiFi isn't a "priority" when there is BLE).  Bose is not like Apple.  I mean, let's face it, until a few years ago Apple didn't know how to code their products to wireless either.  Their products' WiFi were behaving exactly what Bose is doing.  Apple got help.  Cisco helped and guided Apple engineers re-write their WiFi code.

Unlike other Unix-based products, Bose appliances cannot be customized or modified as their software is a closed environment.  Had it been open, a lot of people would've been able to make improvements to the way the WiFi behaves.  

Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2018

Sanmigueelbeer

i understand what you’re saying, and have no information to dispute it. But the key to this, as you state, is that Apple got the help they needed to fix the issue.  You can find posts to Bose going back to 2016 or earlier. They either can’t fix it or refuse to admit there is an issue. Logitech figured it out. Apple, with help, figured it out. Why won’t Bose?

Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 22, 2017

@kearnek wrote:

Why won’t Bose?

Possible reason:  Economy of scale.  English:  There are not enough people complaining (about how good/bad is WiFi).  If you read the TrendMicro report (LINK), at any given time there are between 4K to 5K SONOS speakers online but there is only about 1K Bose speakers online (mostly from Sweden & USA).   So based on this, Bose is not "encouraged" to improve WiFi.  

Here's another reason:  I don't believe Bose have a permanent Unix coder who knows WiFi.  They have to find someone outside their organization who don't break stuff.  (KRACK vulnerability was announced in October 2017 and Bose only released a patch on 01 August 2018.  That long!)

The way Bose packaged their firmware is THE major issue why mDNS and WiFi doesn't work well otherwise there would be a lot of open source modifications out there that would've made this a  lot better.  And this could've been done quickly and cheaply.  

I don't believe the new SoundTouch 500 is going to be any improvements either.  All the wireless NIC has to do is authenticate to an SSID and "that's it".  Bose is not "obligated" to get WiFi to be smart or mDNS to be higher than "version 0".  

Note: 

1. If the SoundTouch 500 can authenticate with 802.1x (a username/password is required instead of just PSK) and supports PoE/PoE+, this means that the platform can work in an enterprise environment.  For a platform to work in an enterprise environment is a major step in the terms of maturity.  
  2. No one tell me that "Bose products are not meant for enterprise network" because I have seen a lot of organizations that have Bose deploy them in corporate network.  This is a disaster (think hacking) waiting to happen.  Examples are CVE-2017-6520, CVE-2017-17749, CVE-2017-17751 or THIS.

Let's face it, I think it is a lot better to get a Raspberry Pi 3B and hook it up to an amplifier.  

Participant
Registered since

Aug 20, 2018

sorry, I dindn't answer, but i found a 'solution': just use an old school wire to connect to the internet, no problems anymore. But that is as if you would connect a battery screw driver to the grid 🙂

Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2018

Jan

do you mean to use en Ethernet connection?