Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

Will Alexa or Google Home be fully available on soundtouch in the forseeable future?

Dear All,

I browsed the forums trying to understand if Alexa or Google home could be good complements of my many soundtouch devices. As far as I understand, up to now, this is the situation

1) for Alexa a skill is available but it does not support multi-room, hence it is pretty limited. Moreover, that skill is available for english language only.

2) there is no plan to allow for an integration between soundtouch and Google home any time.

3) there are many rumors that Bose is going to discontinue the production and support of soundtouch devices, hence little hopes are there that the above depicted situation will ever improve.

Please, can anybody provide official information confirming or denying points 1 to 3? Up to now my conclusion is that buying Amazon Echo of Google Home is useless if a person aleady owns a soundtouch integrated set of devices. Moreover, given the kind of custom care Bose is showing on its Internet connected devices, it makes little sense to buy these products. Bad news for people like me who already invested a not negligible amount of money in Bose products.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 10, 2018

Re: Will Alexa or Google Home be fully available on soundtouch in the forseeable future?

I have exactly the same questions. I have a soundtouch 10 and soundbar 300 and sub plus small speakers.  bloody expensive to be obsolete in a year.  I see various videoas on the Bose site.  One shows connnectivity is available through Skill but you have to say 'alexa ask bose'  and it only works with pre sets.  Then another showing that you can interact, through skill, with alexa like normal without having to say ask bose.  I want the alexa function and with over 1K of bose speakers i am confused and not very impressed  I am looking at the new smart speakeer and assume I can link this to my soundtouch 300 soundbar and sound touch.  but to be honest i do feel like it is all wasted money as Bose dont seem ot reall explain fully the connectivity and it is contradictory.  Having spent the money I have I owuld like to htink i could get full funtionality.  It is only wifi and software after all.  Please help and tell me if i am consigned to a sub optimal 'ask bose to do very littel'  or if, with my current, expensicve speakers, I will ever be able to say 'alexa play XXX in the kitchen'?  Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

Re: Will Alexa or Google Home be fully available on soundtouch in the forseeable future?

Dear Junage

I spent some time browsing the forum. As far as I understand the new Bose-Alexa products (like soundbar500 and 700) will work in a different way and it will not be possible to link them to products belonging to the Soundtouch family. Even worse, a future Bose customer of Alexa-friendly devices (if my understanding is right) is going to be chained to Amazon cause there is no project to let Bose products to interact with Google Home. According to many replies by the moderators (as far as I understand them) we are left with just two options
. Option 1: put your soundtouch devices in the trash can and buy the new "Alexa-ready" Bose products. Option 2: give up the idea of having your Bose products interact with Alexa, cause "old" soundtouch devices will never be deeply integrated with Alexa. Moreover, the new devices will never work togheter with the old Soundtouches. Rumors on blogs claim that Bose is discontinuing the soundtouch series and no further developement of soundtouch software should be expected. If all the above will prove to be true; given the money I spent on my devices I will be pretty upset and unwilling to buy anthing else from this company.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 10, 2018

Thanks, very depressing.  The soundtouch 10 is not that big a loss as I can sell it or use it somewhere else, however the soundbar and sub woofer plus wireless speakers is less than 18 months old.  it cost a load of cash and its not as if Bose couldnt see it coming.  People have been asking for years when it owuld be compatible and they just gaffed everyone off  That said, one of the videaos on their site now does show being able to interact with alexa without saying the chad phrase 'alexa ask bose'  but another video with virtually the same title shows a diffrent set up.  Hence why I am really confused.  I do find it really poor that Bose charge so much and provide a very cagey and sub optimal service to make us feel like we invested well.  Sonos would be a better optyion, but I have over a grands worth of speakers which evffectively do the samde as a cheapo free give away you get from currys when you buy a big tv.  Very sad and frustrating.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

Dear Juanage, I share your sadness and frustration. To be true I feel cheated. My credit card fulfilled its promise to send them good money, they did not fulfill their promise to send me a fully working products and, it seems, with the new software they are even causing new problems with the internet radio functionality of Soundtouch 10, 20 and 30. I really feel I should go back and deeply rewrite my old reviews on Amazon website.

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

If you say "Ask Bose" its pretty limitted - play a preset, increase volume, turn a speaker on or off and so forth.  This came out first.

Later they made Soundtouch speakers something that Alexa can recognize natively (no need to say "Ask Bose" with this) and they sort of partially function that way - you can get Alexa to play Sirius XM, Amazon Music, Pandora, and Tune In - maybe some others.  Plus IIRC it can also control volumne and turn them on and off.  Can't play Spotify this way (IMHO, a big miss) or some of the other sources.

I don't think either way of using Alexa with SoundTouch lets you control multiroom.

You can also use SoundTouch as the BlueTooth output for Alexa - once you've set up the BlueTooth link between them, you can say "Alexa, pair" or "Alexa, disconnect" to start and stop Alexa's output from going to the SoundTouch.  When connected, whatever you can play natively on your Alexa device you can play on SoundTouch, though its through BlueTooth with the lower sound quality that this implies.