Hully
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2015

Re: Will the Shuffle problem ever be fixed?

Interesting. My library is arranged with artists names alpabetically, eg Abba, Bing Crosby, Chris Rea, Dean Martin etc with A to D being about 1500 songs. I've heard that other users with song titles alphabetically get the limited shuffle within the first bunch of titles.

If your system is working ok then I'm the one missing something. Bose acknowledged breaking shuffle in the first place but I've heard nothing from them since this latest upgrade, just other users confirming my findings.

all the best

Hully

CentralBK
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Maybe it is because of release notes for FW release 14.0.30 ??

Paste from release notes:

Bug fixes:

• Stored music library improvements
    • Addresses SoundTouch® music server conflicts with other applications
    • Improves music server stability, including Error 6151 and Error 4201 messages
    • Allows app usage without Internet connectivity for stored music libraries
    • Addresses an issue shuffling music library playlists

Cheers,

Central

biljir
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 24, 2016

I have a playlist of about 500 tracks. If I use the Soundtouch app to attempt to shuffle this playlist it only plays songs from the first 150 or so of the list. I have not received the latest upgrade (the one they seem to be calling 14.30), so I can't say if that one fixes the problem for me.

It is possible that the fix which I installed on Wednesday, which apparently corresponds to 14.28 (though that is not the version that Settings tells me the app is at - that number is 14.80.6-708+9BD051B) corrects the prolem in some situations but not others, or on some systems but not others. It is certainly possible that there is a fix in that version, and it is simply incomplete or not entirely correct. But I can tell you that the odds against getting the song order I am seeing as the result of a truly random shuffle are 761 million to 1.

biljir
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 24, 2016

CentralBK,

I see from one of your posts on another thread that you are "100% Apple". Perhaps this explains why it is that you no longer see the problem and I do - perhaps Bose has corrected the problem for Apple but not for Windows. Just a thought.

Also, I notice that my speakers are still at 14.0.15. I would think that shuffling would be implemented in the app and not in the speakers, but I obviously can't rule out that this might be relevant. (If my speakers are down-level, this is not intentional on my part. Since that fateful November update, new installs of the app have not attempted to upgrade my speakers.)

CentralBK
Leader
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Speaker FW update is delayed for a number of x users, see the anouncement on top of this forum page ...

Big problem as well is that errors are not described clear enough, just this afternoon one user posted "Spotify playlist are not playing anymore" so I did a test, all perfect, replied, and then he said , oh no - not playlist but imported playlsits. And yes, then I could easylie reproduce the error.

So, maybe I can even still get the error you have if I do the same what causes the error on your side. I'm just a more less satisfied ST customer trying to help and hoping that Bose WILL improve the product. 

Cheers,

Central

Hully
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2015

Hi biljir,

True, I'm all apple but I definitely still have the problem - shuffle over a very limited range of my playlists. My speakers are also 14.0.15.

I'm hoping bose will respond to this continued problem once the dust has settled from the latest upgrade.

I'm back using the work around until it's clear where we go from here. 

I'm quite shocked that bose has let this go on for so long, shuffle is a basic function of every music player I've ever known so you'd expect high end manufacturers to get it right. 

Hully
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2015

Hi Central BK,

You're right, we all have different hardware set ups and usage patterns so getting a real handle on a specific problem can be difficult.

This particular shuffle issue was identified last year and bose posted an approved work around which I've been using. Bose did not include the fix in the November upgrade but I was given an assurance that it would be included in the February version leading to the latest flurry of posts reporting that the problem is the same.

I'm simply playing iTunes playlists located on an Apple desk top. I control my speakers either from there or my other Apple devices. Everything works superbly apart from Soundtouch shuffle and if I had smaller playlists I doubt I'd notice the problem because it does shuffle, just not the whole 8000 songs, and because my musical taste means I have lots of songs from not too many artists it becomes quickly obvious I'm hearing the same artist over and over again and some not at all.

I'll give bose some time respond  then just keep plugging away until I get a fix. Thanks for trying to help.

biljir
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 24, 2016

Hully,

Well, now at least we know that the problem is not just a Windows problem.

CentralBK,

I have put my time in doing software support, and understand how important a full description is. I hate trouble reports like "It's broken. Fix it." (with or without an additional "or I'll buy your competitor's product!"). If you look at my report of the recent problem with screen flicker, you will see that I give problem descriptions that are complete as I can make them. That doesn't mean that I necessarily catch everything relevant, of course, but I do respond to questions that I haven't thought of.

As far as this problem is concerned, I can't think of anything I've left out. For instance,

I have received no diagnosics.

The problem has occurred with every large playlist I have attempted. It happens with both smart and "dumb" playlists. It is very consistent.

It happened both before and after I uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

My playlists are not sorted alphabetically. They are usually sorted chronologically (by year of the song's release). So I do not see only songs beginning with the letter A. Instead I get only songs from the 60's and 70's. This is why, unlike most people with the problem, I do not describe it in terms of the alphabet, but rather in terms of only playing a subset of the songs, connected by being "close" in the list to the song I play first.

The problem has persisted through several releases of iTunes.

If there is other information you think would be helpful, please ask.

(I could of course post an example playlist in its entirety, but I doubt that is pertinent. I can say that there is nothing special about my playlists that I am aware of that would make them significantly different from anyone else's playlists.)

- Alan -

cleveque
Participant
Registered since

Sep 11, 2016

I just updated my system with the new software and for the 1st time in SEVERAL months, my shuffle works correctly. I have thousands of songs on my iTunes playlists and I no longer have to use my iPod via bluetooth to get a true shuffle. Thank you Bose for getting it together... better late than never.

tapestry1970
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2015

I have Itunes on a Windows 7 PC and at first shuffling was working (on a Playlist of 800+) - but after a while I realised that while it was shuffling - it was only shuffling some of the songs (but I don't know how the subset was picked - not alphabetically).