Headybow
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

I too will be contacting Bose regarding a refund to all my SoundTouch. This will force Bose to either provide us with concrete explanation to why they have kept us in the dark for long while making airplay for thief newer speakers. I want everyone on this platform to follow suit.
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

I would have gone with the 100% Bose upgrade path...those 300 and 500 models (with airplay) are pretty nice sounding.

I think your experience illustrates why companies are very tight lipped about future products upgrade announcements..
g0002
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2018

Hello,

So I have the ST300 with the sub and the surrounds. Would the sub and surrounds work with the updated soundbars that work with airplay (500 or 700)? I’m trying to figure how much I would have to replace. I also have an ST 10 and 20. What was the name of the app you were chatting with Bose with? Thanks!
Andy st user
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2019

Re Replacing with the new speakers - I was thinking this but... fool me once....

Re g0002 - I’m fairly certain I’ve read that the st won’t work on the same network as the new speakers. Maybe if we all complain they’ll listen to their dedicated loyal fan base..... fool me twice!

The app is called “WhatsApp” can download on any phone for free. The link to their contact details is on their support/contact page!

Good luck 🙂
Headybow
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

Yes the sub 300, surrounds 300 would work with the updated 500/700. Currently I’m using sub 300 with surrounds 300 which work fine with the update 700 to achieve the AIrplay 2.
LeeMcCullar
Participant
Registered since

Jun 1, 2019

I have been on the phone with Bose throughout the day, and they (SoundTouch team) offered to “exchange”my 2 SoundTouch 300 bars for 700s at a 25% discount! Not enough! What’s interesting is that I chatted with Bose support who gave me a case ID number and implied there might be opportunity for replacement. I have been a Bose customer for a long time, dating back through 901s, first acoustimass system to SoundTouch and SleepBuds........It was interesting that the SoundTouch group offered replacement, but made no assurance for AirPlay 2 coming to existing SoundTouch 300!!!! So disappointed!!!!!
Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I think it's dumb to buy equipment based on some hoped for future capability.  Buy it for what it does NOW and any upgrades will be gravy.  I love my Bose Soundtouch 300 with sub and surrounds.  I just got free Apple Music by virtue of Verizon Wireless and am sitting here now enjoying A Star Is Born Soundtrack via bluetooth.  All is good.

Andy st user
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2019

I’m glad there are people happy with their gear and I know loyalty to Bose runs deep.

I was happy, but was promised that future updates were coming 2017, March 2018, dec 2018 and early 2019 (fact dates here btw).

If your going to advertise that your delivering something; at any point, it will make the custom base purchase it. Should this be allowed? Or maybe there should be some more transparency?

We’ve been fair to Bose, we’ve waited, we’ve asked, waited and asked and asked again. All we asked for was an indication, nothing more.

I have also experienced issues with the ST gear, dropping connections, having to reboot and reset just to get something playing off a preset. Volume turning up on its own if I had Spotify and Bose app running at same time.

There was a huge lack of support for the app from the off as well. It’s never been very good and the reviews support this opinion.
LeeMcCullar
Participant
Registered since

Jun 1, 2019

I, too, have been a long time Bose supporter....from 901s, to Acoustimass, to SoundTouch, to SleepBuds.....the list goes on! As with many others, I am tired of empty promises for functionality. That said, I started my day chatting with Bose support who gave ma a case ID and call number for the “SoundTouch Team” at Bose.

What I found interesting is that Bose support kept the party line that “AirPlay 2 is coming”, and they “want to make sure it is ‘right’ before it’s done”! After receiving the case ID number, I called SoundTouch this afternoon (at lunch break). They apologized for the delay, and offered me 25% off the 500 or 700 to replace my 2 300 Bars, but did not mention forthcoming support or to be “patient”.

I DO enjoy the sound I get from my units. I DID NOT buy on a future promise that HAD NOT been made! Instead, I invested $2500 in a system with a company that said functionality was forthcoming....by the way, this is a company with which I have a LONG history. Unfortunately that trust and faith has now been shattered.

Someone pointed out they are happy with Bluetooth.....I am not mad at that, but I bought the SoundTouch 300 a few months before the newer design came, and at a time when Bose committed to the update....needless to say I am frustrated!
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I think it's dumb to buy equipment based on some hoped for future capability.  Buy it for what it does NOW and any upgrades will be gravy.  I love my Bose Soundtouch 300 with sub and surrounds.  I just got free Bose Music by virtue of Verizon Wireless and am sitting here now enjoying A Star Is Born Soundtrack via bluetooth.  All is good.

I agree, one has to buy for the moment. Feature creep and future proofing, from a consumers perspective, is very hard to keep up with. I totally understand the frustration for those who were told by sales people or have been reading Bose literature that Airplay is on the horizon. I have always subscribe to picking the gear with the maximum features that I can afford at the time and living it with it. I have bought a LOT of tech over the years.

Ironically, I bought into the ST series 3 and Cinemate 130 because it didn’t have Airplay. My previous experience with Airplay on non Apple products, including SoundTouch series 1, hadn’t been very good. When I came back around to SoundTouch, Airplay had been dropped and I made a conscious decision to use Airport Express and Apple TV to augment my new Bose gear. Turns out that was a good decision. But it wasn’t long before I was concerned about not having 4K, High Def Audio and even working ARC / CEC.  

I am with other satified customers, the Bose gear I have does the job, works very well and sounds great. I am trying to keep my gear as long as I can because I am comfortable with it and this stuff costs LOTS of money to change.  I have managed to utilize as many features as I can and the products will allow. This has been made possible because Bose does future proof their products to a degree,  buying a new TV that supports 4K HDR, ARC/CEC and DD5.1 and now Apple pivoting with their services products like Airplay and Apple TV app. 

In fairness to those who bought their Bose gear, based on Bose and Apple Airplay announcements, I hope Bose comes through.