7h6gdwd
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Wireless Link too loud

Hi all,

I have a pair of B&O powered speakers playing music from my iphone & macbook via a Soundtouch wireless link. Like some other posts ive seen, i too have really high volume when using the soundtouch link. Playing music from the macbook is fine; I have plenty of volume adjustment ranging from very quiet to loud, yet using the iPhone the volume goes from zero to LOUD over a millimetre of adjustment.

All apps are up to date and there is no volume control on the speakers. I usually connect & play via bluetooth only.

If both iphone & macbook were the same, i'd guess its the speakers, But seeing as the macbook is fine and the iphone is too loud...i'm out of ideas. Is the bose app set up wrong?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Wireless Link too loud

Hi 7h6gdwd,

I can understand the issue your having, and I do apologise about that.

I believe this issue may be with how iPhone handles the volume output on their bluetooth devices. Have you got another bluetooth product you can check with your iPhone to see if the volume increases dramatically. As i see the volume on the iPhone isn't a slider, it has blocks which indicate volume. Which means there are increments in which the iPhone will increase the volume.

If you give this a try with a different bluetooth device on your iPhone and get back to us so we can try to find a resolution for this.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C

Highlighted
7h6gdwd
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Hi Brandon,

I have an bluetooth speaker (also B&O) which handles volume modulation better than these speakers in question. The same issue applies when using the soundtouch app to control the volume via the slider rather than the iphone volume buttons.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Right I see. What would be great is if you can provide some pictures of your setup. Also the specific speakers that you are using from B&O. This will help me nail down what the issue could be. If the B&O speakers are powered, they should have their own volume control. A few questions:

1. How is the Soundtouch adapter plugged into these powered speakers? (Image if possible)
  2. Do these speakers have their own volume control?
  3. Are you sure these speakers are powered and not passive?

I look forward to your response and look forward to figuring this out together.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C

Highlighted
7h6gdwd
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

First things first - i now have a bigger issue with this soundtouch link: i'ts terrible for maintaining paired bluetooth devices. I can play music from either a macbook or iphone one minute, then once ive finished and the bluetooth connection goes, its often impossible to reconnect to the soundtouch link. 

E.g. yesterday, yet again i had to reset (remove mains power, reconnect mains while holding the control button etc) then go through the reconnect proceedure (orange wifi light etc) to the wifi network then re-pair 2 bluetooth devices. After that, all was fine until today when both macbook & iphone wouldn't connect again. I tried holding down the bluetooth rubber button as per the instructions, but nothing happens. I had to then reset (remove mains power, reconnect mains while holding the control button etc) again which is when i was able to re-pair via bluetooth.

It used to be reliable, but im sure the last 2 bose software updates have made it much worse.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

I can understand, and im here to help. I do apologise about the late response. I have a series of steps I would like you to try:

1. Hold down the Bluetooth button on the STWLA (Soundtouch Wireless Link Adapter) for 15 seconds.
  2. The Bluetooth icon flashes white to confirm.
  3. Forget the STWLA off of both your Macbook and iPhone.
  4. Attempt to reconnect and check the connection.

If you still have issues with this, I would like you to perform a manual update using your macbook. You can find out how to do this HERE. The easiest one to do is 'Manually Updating with a USB Cable'. I would like you to do this so we can make sure it's fully up to date and has a nice clean installation of the firmware.

If you still have issues after this please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Brandon_C - Community Support