cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobby_77
Registered since

Apr 26, 2016

audio when connected to macbook bluetooth intermintently drops

PROBLEM: Since latest update, Soundtouch 20 III when connected over bluetooth to my Macbook pro to listen to music proceeds to break up every few seconds. it is extremely annoying as you don't get to actually hear much. didn't have such issues prior to update. 
THINGS I'VE TRIED:
resetting and restarting.
unpairing and re-pairing. 
deleting all paired lists on both mac and speaker and pairing again from scratch. 
nothing has worked thus far. 
hopefully someone on here can be of help. last resort. 
Bose are losing me as a customer at this rate. 
5 REPLIES 5
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: audio when connected to macbook bluetooth intermintently drops

Intermittent audio from a Bluetooth device is almost always related to signal strength between the speaker and the source. However it was a good idea to start with Unpairing and clearing the list on both devices. 
Here are some further steps to try:

• Test the phone with another Bluetooth enabled mobile device to see if the same problem exists there. (this will help us narrow the problem down somewhat)
  • Try moving the Laptop and Speaker to an entirely different location in the home (with the hope of moving away from any sources of interference)
  • Make sure that there are no walls, furniture or other barriers located physically between the computer and speaker during playback. 
  • Try unpairing and removing any other non-essential Bluetooth accessories from the computer.
  • If all else fails, you can also perform a factory reset on the Soundtouch 20 system using the steps listed here: (https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView#!/feedtype=SINGLE_ARTICLE_DETAIL&id=kA140000000GvFTCA...

Thank you.
Bobby_77
Registered since

Apr 26, 2016

Woke up early enough to try all these and here are the results. 
TO YOUR SOLUTIONS: 

1- it's not a phone. it is a macbook. so didn't bother with that. 
2- moved to different rooms (living room, bathroom(yes i had to) and kitchen ) but that didn't help matters as the audio was still intermittent.
3- the machines in questions are right next to eachother. there isn't more than a 10cm gap between them at all times. 
4- there are no other bluetooth accesories that are paired to this laptop.
5- performed factory reset ( that took long) but it is done now and the intermittent sound is still there. 
OTHER THINGS I TRIED
- to establish that the computer wasn't the issue, i tried connecting it to a bose soundlink II speaker i bought sometime back. there was no intermittent sound. it was not updated, so i updated it and still there was no intermittent sound. 
REALLY NEED HELP.

Thomas_O
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 22, 2015

Bobby_77,
Apologies that you still have intermittent sound from the Bluetooth connection. You have tried a second Bluetooth speaker with the computer – would it be possible to try a different Bluetooth device, such as your iPhone or tablet, with the Soundtouch speaker?
If you find that the intermittency persists even with another device, then this may be an issue related to the system itself. If that is the case, you should contact your local service center for further assistance. Please use the information on this page to do so. 
Thank you
Bobby_77
Registered since

Apr 26, 2016

i have now applied this test. i have connected with both my iphone 5 and also my iphone 5s and an ipad just to make sure i exhausted all the other devices i have. none of them had intermittent sound. had to play at least an hour on each since i received your reply in order to be completely certain. 
there was no intermittent sound at all. none. 
this now baffles me even more. i've since tried the mac with headphones and even more speakers i was able to borrow from my neighbor and then also my best friend. no intermittent sound from those either. 
so i don't know where the problem really is. 
CUSTOMER SERVICE: unfortunately, Bose customer service is only in chinese and so a foreigner like me with a poor grasp of the language couldn't hope to even start explaining to them what you've actually told me. and given they are in shanghai and i bought this in the BEIJING BOSE store, i really don't know how to go about this. i'd like to have them take a look at it. 
Thomas_O
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 22, 2015

Hello Bobby_77,
If you find that the Bluetooth plays fine through the two other devices, then this may be a computer-specific issue. It may be best to contact Apple first, just to make sure there is nothing that can be addressed in the computer to correct intermittency. 
If you need the contact information for a different Bose service center, you can use the information on this page for service within the US, and this page for everywhere else.