Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 14, 2015

error 1608 on windows 10

Has anyone got the same issues I am unable to add my music libary on windows 10 was all ok on windows 7 & 8.1
I have so far tried removing firewalls on windows disabling and removing antivirus software
Router is the new ac virgin media
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: error 1608 on windows 10

Hi Darryl,

Firewalls are one of the common causes of this error, but certainly not the only one. Let's see if we can help you narrow this down. 

First, follow the steps in the article below to make sure that media streaming is enabled. (The Windows 8.1 instructions should also work for Win 10)
"Enabling media streaming in Windows"
Also look in the properties for your current network connection and make sure that it is not designated as a "public" network. ( Set this to Home or Work as private networks will allow types of media sharing that public networks prevent)
If you are still having trouble, please answer the following questions in your response:

1. Are you adding a music library from Windows Media Player or from iTunes? 
  2. Is this the same computer you used before that was upgraded to Windows 10, or an entirely new machine?
  3. Do you have the music files physically stored on the computer in the default music folder for your user account?
  4. Is your computer connected to the network by Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or both?

Thank you. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 14, 2015

Hi,
I have already tried the enable streaming and I have checked this again and all is ok with the setting
I am set to public network
Itunes is located in the music default music file
yes it is the same computer as before
yes musci files are stored in default location
computer is wifi all on the same network ie connected to the same router computer is running via ac wifi
I have tried windows firewalls off and router firewalls off
​​​​​​​​
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 15, 2015

I sympathise I am having the same problem !
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Darryl, 

You mention that the computer is set to a "public" Network. This setting will keep your firewall settings and exceptions from allowing your SoundTouch software to communicate. Please set the network to a different private option. (home, work, etc.) and see if this helps.
Thank you. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 14, 2015

Hi George 
appoligies I should have said network is set to private 
Orignally was set to public but setting to private made no difference Windows 10 will not connect 
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 14, 2015

Hi George 
appoligies I should have said network is set to private 
Orignally was set to public but setting to private made no difference Windows 10 will not connect 
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 22, 2015

Darryl,
If the 1608 still persists, the something must still be interfering with the connection. There are some less likely causes of this kind of interruption as well:

• Please ensure that you are not running a VPN or proxy. Even if you have not set one up, this might be the case if your computer is a work machine.
  • Make sure the black Soundtouch Server is running – it should be found in the lower right-hand corner of the screen, amidst the icons which are next to your computer’s clock.
  • Please ensure that Internet Connection Sharing is disabled. To do so:

1. In the Control Panel, select “Network Connections”.
  2. Right-click on your wireless adapter, then choose “Properties”
  3. Navigate to the Sharing tab, and make sure that both options are unchecked.
  4. Click OK to save

If the above steps do not resolve, please leave a reply with the router model number, and whether or not it is located is a business or at home. 
Thank you,
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 25, 2015

This every get resolved. I just got a bose wave sound touch music system 4 and everything but works but adding the music library. error 1608 everytime. I'm on windows 10 64 and have tried all the trouble shooting steps i could find. when i hover over the icon in the system tray it says sound touch music server and songs: 5000  but when i go to add the music library error 1608 everytime.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi budd, 
The most common cause of this symptom is a firewall on your Windows 10 computer blocking communication between the speaker and your computer on specific ports. Do you run any security or antivirus software on this machine? 

Thank you.