hadeohadeo
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2018

iTunes + SoundTouch = Stutter but iPhone, iPad Pro and Spotify are OK

Hello!

So I have been having this problem since about 3 years ago but I left the country and now I'm back and willing to put end on this.

All devices are connected to the same wifi, 30mbps high speed internet. I experience frequent stutters whenever I'm playing music through my iTunes (2015 macbook pro, itunes library on Samsung external SSD, play through iTunes' airplay). However, I've got no stutter at all whenever I'm playing the music through my iPhone (both my iPhone music library and spotify) and my iPad.

I've tried to change the QoS from WMM, SSID and None but it doesn't help.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and willing to share? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: iTunes + SoundTouch = Stutter but iPhone, iPad Pro and Spotify are OK

Hi hadeohadeo,

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that this has been an ongoing issue for you. We'd be happy to assist! First, which SoundTouch system are you using, and what software version is it running? You can find instructions for checking your SoundTouch software version HERE

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Highlighted
hadeohadeo
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2018

Hi Brian,

I thought I replied to this post but apparently it doesn't show up anywhere so let me try again.

- Bose SoundTouch 20 

- Software Version: 17.0.12

- Wifi Software: I2014102015199423; B201306111041 081008C 2014102015199423
- MacOS High Sierra + latest iTunes (but it's been like this since mountain lions few years back)

- 2015 Macbook Pro 15" (again, same thing happens with my 2010 iMac and 2007 MBP)

Hear back from you soon

Hi hadeohadeo, 

Thank you for responding. To clarify, the songs are all stored on the external SSD, correct? Can you try to enable "Airplay Optimization" on your SoundTouch 20 and see if it helps? To do this go to Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > Advanced Setup > Airplay Optimization. Also, please check the signal strength going to your system using this procedure: 

In the SoundTouch app, choose the menu icon in the upper left

Choose "Settings" -> About"

Select the desired system to view that system's information. Signal strength is listed as "RSSI Signal Strength"

I'm curious if there could be some interference at play near the Mac. If you temporarily relocate the Mac away from any nearby electronics, does the issue clear up? Have you tried rebooting the Mac? Please let us know. 

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support

hadeohadeo
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2018

Hi Brent,

1. Thank you for responding. To clarify, the songs are all stored on the external SSD, correct? Can you try to enable "Airplay Optimization" on your SoundTouch 20 and see if it helps? To do this go to Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings > Advanced Setup > Airplay Optimization.

Airplay Optimization was already turned on but I did it on my iPad. I turned it off and on again from my macbook pro.

2. In the SoundTouch app, choose the menu icon in the upper left

Choose "Settings" -> About"

Select the desired system to view that system's information. Signal strength is listed as "RSSI Signal Strength"

The signal strength is shown as FAIR.

3. I'm curious if there could be some interference at play near the Mac. If you temporarily relocate the Mac away from any nearby electronics, does the issue clear up? Have you tried rebooting the Mac? 

I tried it and it does help a little but it doesn't eliminate the problem completely. As for rebooting the mac, I've been experiencing this problem since long time ago so I don't think rebooting would help at all because obviously I've been restarting, updating the itunes, and turning my mac on and off. On top of that, the problem persists not only with my 2015 macbook pro (iTunes library on SSD) but my 2010 iMac (iTunes library on internal HDD) and 2007 Macbook Pro (iTunes library on both ext HDD and internal HDD) as well.

My initial thought was the signal strength but as I explained before, I don't experience any stutter when streaming my music from my iPhone, iPad and iPhone's spotify. The soundtouch stays where it is all the time. I also tried to stream the music from my iPhone on my desk where I put my MBP and it plays flawlessly.

Thanks