mighty_bomb_jac
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

soundtouch 20 display reads "unknown" when paired with imac

hello,
i just paired my bose soundtouch 20 with my imac and noticed the display on the soundtouch just read "unknown." it did not display the artist name, song title and album title like it normally does when paired with my iphone or ipad. not the end of the world but would be nice to see all that info instead of just the world "unknown" on the screen. i did go thru the settings on my imac but didn't see anything that helped. maybe i missed something? any suggestions? thank you. 🙂
6 REPLIES 6
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: soundtouch 20 display reads "unknown" when paired with imac

Hi jack,

Bluetooth connection for these systems is intended primarily for connection to mobile devices (phones, Tablets, etc.). Most devices which support AVRCP 1.3 or later will send this artist and track information back to the speaker via Bluetooth. However, this may or may not work correctly when connected via Bluetooth to more complicated multi-purpose devices. (Computers, televisions, etc.)

Our own testing with several OSX machines running the latest version of iTunes currently shows a similar "UNKNOWN" message on the system display. While we will be submitting this as feedback to our engineering team, we will need to call this as normal operation for now. 

Thank you for your question. 

Mr-Will-i-am
Registered since

Mar 5, 2016

Just replaced my Soundtouch Portable II for a new SoundTouch 30 III 
My new Soundtouch is without airplay support so i also have to stream my music from iTunes on my iMac with bluetooth.
We have to agree that Bose not longer support Airplay for several resons, only we, Mac-users would like to see our album / artist / song back on the display. 
Would Bose consider to solve this in the near future?
thanks
zecabjr
Participant
Registered since

Oct 24, 2015

I have just asked the same question. I replaced my ST 20 airplay with the bluetooth one, on the contrary of many unsatisfied users. But  I have no regrets so far, except ( not very important) the lack of  the CD info on the speaker display coming from my macbook Itunes. But having all the sounds from my mac on the system is awesome. Bluetooth has some restrictions of
distance , but on the other hand, you are no longer "slave" of a nice internet signal, and you can also put your system in your backpack and listen to your music library on barbecues or even at the pool.

wvynck
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2014

"While we will be submitting this as feedback to our engineering team, we will need to call this as normal operation for now. "

One year later and still not solved .. great & fast engineering team @bose Smiley Sad

fneyron
Participant
Registered since

Jul 28, 2017

I also have the unknown device issue, still nothing to do to repair this ? 

Also, whenever my macbook is on, it tries to connect to the soundtouch 20 system and when it does the music stop playing... This is annoying.

Florent.

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Florent,

Thanks for the question.  I do not know of a future change for Bluetooth reporting, but if there is a change it will be included in the release notes of a software update.

In order to stop your macbook from connecting to your SoundTouch 20, you will need to go into the bluetooth settings of your Mac computer, and disconnect the SoundTouch system from your computer.  You will still be able to use it through the SoundTouch app while it's not connected through Bluetooth.  To use it on Bluetooth again, go into the Bluetooth settings of your Mac, and reconnect it.

Thanks,

Brandon