Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 26, 2018

soundtouch app incorrectly detects wifi disconnect

Using the latest soundtouch app on ios 11 iPhone, I often get a message similar to ‘uh-oh no wifi connection’. In reality, I have a very strong wifi and strong connection to the internet. If I shut the app and immediately restart it, the message goes away. Also, when I get this message, I can still browse the internet, albeit very slowly.

My theory is that Bose did not design and or test well with internet supplied via Hughes Network. In this network, it is very common to have 650ms+ latencies and packet loss. Worse sometimes between 5-9pm when the load is heavy.

I have my bose speakers connected to an apple extreme router, which is hard wired to the hughes network satellite router.

I would love for Bose to chime in on this, or better yet, dig into it and fix it. Maybe a setting for satellite users that elongates timeouts? It seems to me a setting is appropriate so the app is default optimized for the bulk of users not using satellite.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 22, 2017

Re: soundtouch app incorrectly detects wifi disconnect

@philruff wrote:
I have my bose speakers connected to an apple extreme router, which is hard wired to the hughes network satellite router.

Apple Extreme AP is a dual-band AP:  2.4 Ghz & 5.0 Ghz.

Left alone, Bose products will join 2.4 Ghz (even though 5.0 Ghz is available) due to bad algorythm in the wireless chip.  Don't blame Bose for this:  Bose specialize in audio products.  And I'll leave it at that.  

However, try this: 

1.  Create an SSID (WPA2 AES/PSK) that is only broadcasted in 5.0 Ghz. 

2.  Disable the following 5.0 Ghz Data Rates:  1- to 11 Mbps;

3.  Configure the following Data Rates as MANDATORY:  12-, 18- and 24 Mbps; and

4.  Mark the rest of the Data Rates as "Supported".

Give the above a whirl and let us know if there is/are any changes.  

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 26, 2018

Thanks. I will give it a whirl, but I am skeptical. Did you have the same symptom before applying this solution? I am assuming this gives me a bigger pipe, but the bose reports ‘no wifi’, which seems to me that a timeout threshold was exceeded.

Do you know how to clear out the old SSID and password out of the bose? I have switched them to a new network before and often found them on the old network. I finally had to disable the old network.

Thanks!!
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 22, 2017

@philruff wrote:
Did you have the same symptom before applying this solution?

My Soundtouch 30 would connect only to 2.4 Ghz even when I have 5.0 Ghz & the Soundtouch could be seen by 3 of my APs.  

@philruff wrote:
Do you know how to clear out the old SSID and password out of the bose?

Just do a factory-default and use the app to re-configure the appliance.