Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Re: 11/20 Update: TuneIn/internet radio information

4 of  the internet radio stations in my preset list no longer work. Bose imposed this on us and should buy back our equipment so we can move to another provider of internet radio.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

The silence from responsibles on this forum is astonishing .... !!!!

I post the following message on the contact page of the belgium website... waiting desesperaly to got a satisfing answer !

Depuis votre dernière mise à jour 20/11/2018, il ne m'est plus possible d'écouter Musiq'3, ni les autres stations de la RTBF. D'après consultation de votre forum, il apparaît que ce problème est très généralisé https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/11-20-Update-TuneIn-internet-radio-information/td-.... Malgré des dizaines de complaintes dans ce forum, il n'y a absolument aucune réponse satisfaisante provenant de votre société.

Avant cette mise à jour, il était possible d'écouter Musiq'3 et les autres stations de la RTBF en excellente qualité comme si l'on allumait un poste de radio normal. Il était également possible d'écouter Klara (et les autres stations de la VRT) en direct. Actuellement, il y a un délai de 15 minutes.
Je souhaite simplement retrouver ce que j'avais avant cette mise à jour que l'on peut donc qualifier de downgrade.
Il apparaît également, d'après consultation du forum,que des pubs sont diffusées par TuneIn. Auparavant l'écoute de radio internet n'avait pas ce désagrément (encore un aspect downgrade).

Je vous prierai donc de trouver une solution pour réactiver l'autre service qui était de qualité nettement supérieure et/ou de permettre de déterminer un URL (pls) pour ajouter directement des chaînes internet de manière à ne plus devoir dépendre de l'un ou l'autre agrégateur.

Jusqu'à présent, j'étais satisfait de cette enceinte et la recommandait. Si une solution ne devait pas être trouvée rapidement, je me verrai malheureusement contraint d'avertir les gens qu'ils feraient une grossière erreur en choisissant votre système... qui n'est pour l'instant guère plus qu'un vulgaire haut-parleur Bluetooth, si l'on ne dispose pas d'un abonnement payant auprès de Deezer ou Spotify.

Dans l'espoir de voir très vite que vous avez trouvez une solution qui satisfera tous les utilisateurs Belges et les autres se trouvant dans une situation similaire.

Bien à vous

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 21, 2016

What appears to have happened is this.

Last week when you used the "Internet  Radio" link in your Bose app, you connected to vTuner.

Whn Bose added TuneIn (of itself a perfectly reasonable thing to do) they also appear to have unilaterally cancelled their agreement with vTuner. So vTuner - understandably - closed dowen the server that Bose users connected to.

This appeared to be a surprise to Bose!

If Bose were able to restart their agreement with vTuner, this whole thing would cease to be an issue. That is something for Bose senior management.  I have great sympathy for Forum moderators like Joel whio have to try to help us but can only have very limited influence on Bose management.

Now if we all started posting to Bose's Facebook sites, or deluging their Twitter feeds, maybe we would get the attention of someone further up the management tree.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Thank you for the info as I am in the dark. Bose should be providing this service on theri servers and not using a third party and the third party should have informed Bose of the traffic hitting their servers so they can gauge the demand! It's clear Bose have made a critical business decision that has upset their customer base. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

I have exactly the same problem. Was in contact directly with TuneIn, Bose... but always anwers that are no answers to the problem revealed.

Very frsutrating !!!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Indeed Erik!
I hope they will solve the problem immediately because it was an expensive radio and what I also dislike is that all communication seems to be in English while we bought this radio in Belgium, Flanders...

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 17, 2016

TuneIn should just be returning a source locator to the Soundtouch app and hand off to Soundtouch the app to stream the requested source. This does not require much bandwidth and would not overwhelm TuneIn resource. If these comments are true, it appears that TuneIn may, instead, be cacheing and compressing the stream and adding advertising, which may or may not be legal in the US and elsewhere.

It is ironic that Bose initially added vTuner and removed the ability to allow users to put in URLs by the aprocryphal claim that allowing users to directly access URL potentially violated US copyright law. The shift from vTuner (which does not appear to have other commercial interests in the content of their catalog) to TuneIn (which is intent on providing and charging users monthly fees for content) opens a fresh marass of legal turpitude. Whatever $1 or $2 a user Bose Soundtouch group got from TuneIn corporation for the change was a bad bargain, for current users and for the commercial interests of Bose generally. 

Let's hope that Bose Soundtouch give us back the ability to enter URLs into the app and save the streams to presets. 

As long as Bose Soundtouch product cannot directly stream from a user provided URL, it cannot claim to play "Internet Radio" and, I fear, is the end of the Bose Soundtouch product.

SliMP3 redux. Sad. 

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

I Think also it's a good idea to contact people of bose via linked In an publish information to this professionnal social media

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

The only answer is restore internet radio service.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

To everyone here saying it will all be fine if Bose only provides a URL option - no it won't. By definition, those posting here are technically adept. Using the URL option, even if it is clearly advertised by the source (most aren't, in my experience), is a step more advanced and may be too much for the target audience of these products.

Last night my wife asked my why we couldn't set a preset for the KING FM Christmas channel like last year, and I couldn't explain in a way she could understand. I did stream it from my laptop wth Bluetooth, preventing the computer from sleeping (which, much as I love and admire her, she could never do herself).

She is now asking if we shouln't just get an Amazon Echo for a fraction of what we paid for this SoundTouch, and the better Bose audio engineering is not a very good answer right now.