Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 27, 2018

Re: 11/20 Update: TuneIn/internet radio information

By way of an update to an earlier question of mine posted on here a few days back.

i purchased a Sonos Play 1 and to be frank it’s amazing. Sound is nearly as good as my Bose but the app is a joy to use with simple controls and a lot of content. 

Most importantly is my choice of stations are all available and have been added to favourites for ease of use. 

Come on Bose catch up with the competition and don’t let this be the start of an exodus!

Steve

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 29, 2017

Still cant find radio FM+, 94,9 Sofia, Bulgaria on TuneIn

Radios Melody & Classic FM with error 3103

Radio Zrock 89,10 with verry bad quality.

Please make yout possible to help.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 29, 2018

Re: 11/28 Update: TuneIn/internet Radio Information

Qmusic is working fine now without delay, without TuneIn commercials and as it seems at the right quality. However when I choose another Dutch station, i.e. SLAM FM or Radio Veronica, there are still TuneIn commercials as a lay-over on the original stream. This also happens when I do not use the preset and enter the stream through TuneIn search. Are streams fixed one by one at the TuneIn interface? 

If that's the case I would request to setup all streams like Qmusic NL, this one is working ok now on my Soundtouch 300. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 21, 2016

@Jason_G wrote:

11/28 - Update:

We would like to sincerely apologize for the disruption of your internet radio service.

During the shift, we heard from many customers about three core issues:

• Audio quality on certain channels
  • Delays in radio streams sometimes by many minutes
  • Unavailability or inaccessibility to specific channels

As of November 27th we have released a fix on SoundTouch that should resolve Audio quality and Audio delays (issues 1 and 2 above).

With regard to missing channels, we are taking several approaches. First, we are keeping a list of the channels that you’ve notified us are missing. We are working closely with TuneIn to add those channels to their service where possible – they share our concern and have been working hard to help us remedy the SoundTouch experience. On this issue, we want to keep hearing from you so we can be sure to know what matters most – if you have a specific station request, please post it here in this thread. 

Beyond engaging with TuneIn directly, our team is working to add a method for users to add any radio stream URL to SoundTouch and set it as a preset.

We appreciate your patience during this time and are working to resolve these issues.

TuneIn blocks most radio stations outside of the US from being played in the US. This is not a new issue but rather an old issue that renders Tunein as non-desireable service. 

In the past I contacted both the radio stations and TuneIn trying to resolve the issues of being unable to stream my favorite non-US stations inside the US.

Aparently Tune-IN is considered as re-broadcasting service and therefore it falls under the PPL/SoundExchange agreements.

PPL negotiates and collects royalties for performing rights to owners of the master recordings, performers and non-featured musicians. Essentially, it’s the British version of SoundExchange. However, unlike US stations, UK terrestrial radio stations are required to pay performers as well as songwriters, and PPL collects for those royalties as well.

PPL has a reciprocal agreement with SoundExchange for online performance royalties, meaning that UK artists get paid when their music is listened to on American online radio stations, and vice versa. Or at least they’re supposed to – as online broadcasters are required to pay PPL when the music they play is listened to in Britain.

Here is the link to the full article:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2013/07/29/americanradio/ 

The problem is that Tune-In refuses to pay royalties to non-us artists listened to in the US and therefore is required to block those stations. I don't see how Tune-In is going to add these missing stations unless they start paying royalties.

You will be better off rolling back to the VTuner service which worked as a router (rather than an aggregator such as Tune-In) to online radio stations or alternatively, allow users to add their own URL's to online streaming stations of their choice as you mentioned. Obviously streaming a foreign stations in the browser is not blocked and is outside of the royalties limitations.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 24, 2018

I have a personal contact at Bose and i ask him the question about the advertisements.

Answer.

TuneIn does insert initial advertisements when you change to a new station before your station starts playing. That is the way they support their streaming service costs. So those ads do come from TuneIn and are consistent with the way most other online streaming services monetize radio content.  Those ads should only occur briefly when you change to a new station.

For advertisements that are inserted in the middle of the stream, such as between songs, TuneIn reports to us that they only insert advertisements in this way on TuneIn’s own internet radio stations. If you are listening to a stream of another station (such as the stream of a local radio station), any ads you hear should be from the stream itself, inserted by the stream provider, and not from TuneIn.

Best Regards,

Name of the employee

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 5, 2018

¿Para cuándo esta actualización en España?  Gracias

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello All,

Thank you for the requests, these have been pushed to our development team. 

We also are posting frequent updates at the beginning of this thread located HERE

Let us know your location when you request your favorite stations not found in TuneIn.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

Dear Bose team, I really do not understand why you do not roll back to Internet radio based on the customers feedback ( see the community site in German and French as well). Is better to lose the customers? Seems to be that case. I will personally will switch to Sonos or other competitor which let me my free choise to select radio station in my requested quality. I think you are not learning from this customer disappointment ... 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi ugi,

Thank you for posting.

We're currently working on a solution to bring our customer the ability to add custom URL's so you can stream your favorite stations on SoundTouch. 

We'll be posting updates at the beginning of this thread when we have more information.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

you might as well say you are sending requests to never never land. Which is what your developers seem to be. All they do is promise but when was the last time they actually delivered any thing. However bthey are real good at taking things away.