01/15 Update: TuneIn/internet Radio Information

Friendly Fanatic

Re: 11/28 Update: TuneIn/internet Radio Information

@rickatk

I think you're the first person on here that's satisfied with this change and you just happen to luck out that your stations are on TuneIn.  So what is actually better with TuneIn?  The quality is drastically worse, availability is horrible, TuneIn seems to have deals to not allow certain stations, there are more ads. Why not add TuneIn but also keep vTuners, so everyone is happy?

Why was Bose confident we'd love TuneIn or were they just happy to cash in at the expense of their users?

Friendly Fanatic

Re: FM channels request

I am one of the lucky ones and manged to return my Bose for Sonos... 

Sonos also do not have vTuner however they do have a list of 30 to 40 re-broadcasters to choose from however none of these show the quality of the stream and I don't use them anyway because of this...even though all the stations that I listen to are on one or the other services available. I assume Bose also will also not have any indication of quality on their future app improvements

For me, I use the Sonos ability to create the station using the station URL and I am assuming this month Bose will incorporate this into their App..

It is not easy... you do not just put in the station URL. you need to hunt down the station stream URL.

My own process is to first access vTuner on laptop or similar and find the station and determine the quality of the stream which is shown on the vTuner web site.. you cannot use the vTuner link to put in the station to Bose app it will not work. I only look for 320kbps streams but really you don't want anything below 128kbps for anything other than talk stations. I then look up the radio stations of interest web site and sometimes if I am lucky, they list their stream URL's and sometimes even a few different ones with varioud stream qualities. You need to look carefully at the streams and  ensure that they are not re-broadcaster links (ie TuneIn) as you cannot determine what their quality will be.  If they do not list their stream URL the next step for me is to contact the radio station and ask them.. The problem being that most often they do not bother replying or sometimes they will just give you the re-broadcaster stream URL ... which will work but again but for me.. I will not be sure of the quality so I want to avoid them. If all else fails I then read through the page after page of the web site source codes and look for a URL that looks like it might work and try it out on programs like VLC to get the stream working. There is software available like URLSnooper which sniffs out the URL's but it is not easy and I have not had much success.

It is difficult to start with but it gets easier and  once you have done it once....that is it... you only need to do six stations  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

@AudioCriticEric wrote:

>

@rickatkI think you're the first person on here that's satisfied with this change and you just happen to luck out that your stations are on TuneIn. 

I am certain there are many customers who have just carried on with the TuneIn stations with little interruption. At least that is how the update and transfer was designed to go. Often we only hear from people having problems with their setups in this forum, which is to be expected. Great place to sort out problems and to voice concerns.

>So what is actually better with TuneIn?  The quality is drastically worse, availability is horrible, TuneIn seems to have deals to not allow certain stations, there are more ads.

I don’t profess to know why Bose elected to drop VTuner but I don’t think TuneIn is that bad, at least in my experience. I like the idea of having TuneIn as the core service, again because I have been using the app for a few years now and the service has performed well.

> Why not add TuneIn but also keep vTuners, so everyone is happy?

I think this was more of a case Bose dropping VTuner and keeping TuneIn making it the core radio service. I think TuneIn has been available on SoundTouch for a while.

Why was Bose confident we'd love TuneIn or were they just happy to cash in at the expense of their users?

That would be a good question directed to the Bose moderators. 

Hopefully January will bring some resolution to the TuneIn station issues, custimisable URLs and better performance of TuneIn.

Wistful Whiz

I went through a lot of the steps trying to figure out the URLs, using iTunes a few years ago. Takes a little bit of work but the results were pretty good. This will be a good feature for SoundTouch radio.

Friendly Fanatic

The think is Bose took off fully working app and replaced with tunein. We know they will be plenty of customers struggling to set it up if they introduce option to add URL source, so Bose substitutes made product degraded
Quiet Contributor

Re: 12/14 Update: TuneIn/internet Radio Information

BBC Radio 4 plays fine but then switches off after random time intervals - sometimes after a few minutes, up to 6 hours. Blue right hand light winks for a few minutes but then goes orange. I haven’t checked other BBC stations. Other foreign stations seem fine.

Animated Arbiter

All Singapore radio stations I tried constantly shows 3103. It is so unstable. Sometimes it works for a few hours then everything stops. Please fix it.

Audible Advocate

Didn't we have Tunein along with everything else before the update?  Why can't Bose just bring back what we had before their screwed up  update?  

Will I be able to get stations on Radio.com like I did before the last update. 

JUST FIX IT NOW!!!!

Silent Starter

Please add 92.3 FM in Portland, Oregon to your list of available stations. It is classic rock in my area and would like to stream it.

Audible Advocate

Dear Joel
Requested and almost a month we are waiting ... Anything will happen or not?