vTunerCEO
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Re: 01/15 Update: TuneIn/internet Radio Information

Hello this is the vTuner CEO.

So now tunein is adding stations that customers requested. These stations used to be on vTuner but where not on tunein.

The reason I am pissed off wiht tunein. Is a couple years ago vTuner caught tunein stealing data from vTuner. Tunein had this detailed document that directed their entry staff to rip off stations from vTuner. I found these documents by doing a google search that only searched the tunein domain and search for the word vTuner. Two detailed documents showed up.

Here is the email from the Tunein CEO trying to get out of this mess when confronted by vTuner.

He is still the current CEO of Tunein.

> > *From:* John Donham <john@tunein.com>
> > *To:* XX@vtuner.com ;
> > *Cc:* Puzella, Mark S <MPuzella@goodwinprocter.com> ; McCusker,
> Anthony<AMcCusker@goodwinprocter.com>
> > *Sent:* Monday, August 13, 2012 10:58 PM
> > *Subject:* TuneIn and vTuner
> >
> > vTuner,
> >
> >
> >
> > To follow up on our discussion concerning TuneIn and vTuner, I have had a
> > chance to look into the issues you identified and I can report the
> > following. TuneIn’s content editors previously included vTuner as one
> > among many publicly accessible sources to validate information, however, I
> > confirmed that it is not a current practice among our editors. The
> > documentation your lawyer mentioned in his letter is no longer used or
> > referenced by our current team of editors. Nevertheless, we will remove
> any
> > remaining references to vTuner in our documentation and explicitly
> instruct
> > our editors not to use the vTuner website.
> >
> > john

Yeah right to validate information. Right before confronting tunein with these documents vTuner put in a couple stations in the vTuner database that had errors in them. These errors showed up in the tunein database. And tunein is this company that has millions and millions of dollars of venture captial money. vTuner has never taken venture money. Venture money makes you evil!

Peter

Frej
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 3, 2017

in my (our) case the stations that did stop working when Bose took away internet radio and vent over to Tunein was a little bit surpricing because they was still working on iphone and ipad and int the web browsr but not on the Bose unit so there was only some implemation problem i think 😉

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Frej wrote:

in my (our) case the stations that did stop working when Bose took away internet radio and vent over to Tunein was a little bit surpricing because they was still working on iphone and ipad and int the web browsr but not on the Bose unit so there was only some implemation problem i think 😉

Unlike VTuner, which is designed as built in radio API for comercial and consumer audio hardware and other comercial applications, TuneIn does offer a fully functioning consumer iOS app and macOS web app. TuneIn is also available as an app for smart TVs. I found that one station I listen to, Smoothjazz.com out of Monterey California, is available on most platforms including Shoutcast (Apple) VTuner and TuneIn. The station comes in very well except oddly Samsung’s version of TuneIn. This is apparently something to do with the encoding SmoothJazz.com uses, according to TuneIn. So while I can listen to my favourite jazz station on SoundTouch, iMac(web), iPad(TuneIn app) and Apple TV, it doesn’t come in on my Samsung TV. 

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

I was looking around the audio gear sites and came across something from Yamaha, another company I have a lot of time for. Seems they dropped VTuner as well and have gone to a variant of Tunein called Airable by Tunein. http://www.airablenow.com/airable/

Seems Tunein is making inroads into VTuner territory and Bose is not the only company opting to change. Airable looks like a comercial variant of Tunein and is intended for professional markets and hardware resellers, operators of public spaces, restaurants etc.  

I was quite happy with VTuner and really liked it on SoundTouch. Fortunately I was able to bring in all my regular stations with Tunein and had been a subscriber for some time prior to Bose taking on Tunein. So I didn’t really encounter any problems with the transition. 

I thought I would post this note to illustrate that Bose likely had its reasons, some already stated, for going with Tunein and is certainly not the only company making the switch. 

Springbok
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 22, 2018

My guess is that Tune-In severely undercut the cost vs vTuner to offer what Bose users have realized from the get-go is a majorly inferior service that Bose is forcing its users to rebuild to retain the functionality that we paid $$$ for in the first place.

Once the users have built Tune-In up to the standard that vTuner currently offers, Tune-In will revise their cost to Bose and others upward because they have us hooked on their system.

What will Bose do then? Move to yet another base, and force us to change, again?

DavidBrooks
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

I'm at my daughter's house and using her Sonos speaker for the first time in a while. The app did a forced upgrade, and now the station I selected is coming via TuneIn. I can't be sure that it's changed, but I don't remember TuneIn being highlighted before as the source for that station.

In these discussions going back to November, people have been recommending Sonos as "like Bose used to be, except without presets" but have they been swallowed up by TuneIn now too?

MichaelJH
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 30, 2018

David, I also have several Sonos units in the house. TuneIn has been on there for as long as I can remember.

However, the difference with Sonos over Bose is that that Sonos give you the option to install multiple radio and music apps including IHeartRadio, Ranionomy, Radio app, Radio.net, Spotify, Soundcloud (and loads more), even some of the radio networks own apps.

Once you install them through the Sonos app you can search them all at once to find the best source for just about any internet radio or track your looking for. This is one of the reasons why I love the Sonos and think it is far superior to Bose.
DavidBrooks
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

Ah, my mistake (about the Sonos). I withdraw the implication. Carry on.

Highlighted
Yellergixer123
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 1, 2019

Hi again, is there any chance you can post the aac link for absolute classic rock. Whatever I try just seems to be a bluetoothed stream from my laptop and won't then save as a presset.

I have a soundtouch 30 speaker and am using the windows app on my laptop. I only purchased the speaker the weekend before last so the software has only been loaded a couple of weeks. I have a Samsung S8+ and am using the Bose app version 8.0. Thanks again for your help

Hello Yellergixer123, 

Thank you for reaching out to the community, Sorry to hear that you are having issues with that radio station. 

I would double check with the TuneIn website to see that the Absolute Classic Rock radio station is playing. It could be under maintenance. 

If you do require the AAC link for the radio station. You can visit Absolute Radio's website to access all the AAC links for their radio stations. You can see them all by clicking on this link: https://absoluteradio.co.uk/listen/links/

Hope this helps, 

Warm regards 
Liam G - Community Support