Re: 01/15 Update: TuneIn/internet Radio Information

Hey Yellergixer123, 

That's great news! It may be a coincidence, but it took us a very long time to get Absolute Classic Rock to establish when we checked it on our systems too, potentially a server side issue for the radio station host. I'd recommend checking back on TuneIn every now and then to see if it has rectified itself, but for now, I'm glad you are able to continue listening via the customer URL I provided. 

Have a great rest of your day and happy listening!

Kind regards,

Jeff G

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Small World

This has been a very popular string, upwards of 80 pages. While there has been a variety of comments, some satisfied and dissatisfied participants one thing for sure Bose and Tunein have a global reach. I think it very impressive people are checking in from around the world. Places like Saudi Arabia, Australia, Canada and the Netherlands and many more locations. All done like they were just down road or in the next city.

Tunein / Bose service

Some people are reporting connection issues.  Bose and Tunein have been working at correcting those issues. I have been fortunate all my stations have worked pretty well from day one. As a result I have been pretty happy with the changes. Granted I have been a long time Tunein App user. I did actually come across a couple problems and both Bose and Tunein were very responsive.

One problem was with Tunein on my Samsung TV. Smooth Jazz Global did not work. Tunein maintains it was because SJG was using a format incompatible Tunein on the TV platform Tizen. They suggested contacting Smooth Jazz Global and ask they use mp3 standard.

Another issue with dropped connections turned out to be WiFi interference in my new house. Bose suggested connecting directly to Ethernet...no problems since. My router sits next to the SoundTouch speaker.

My point is that Bose and Tunein have been very responsive to my inquiries.

Tunein seems to be a growing company and now has another division for comercial use and can be found in Yamaha products via firmware upgrade. Airable Radio. Bose like many other audio companies made a decision to move to Tunein. Only time will tell how good that decision was.

Aush
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 28, 2018

So interesting that most of people here missing AbsolutClassicRock (from countless of internet stations)

vTunerCEO
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Rickatk: there would not be 80 pages of chaos if Bose cared about quality and kept vTuner. Having users add the urls for stations streams. Crazy.

I am the CEO of vTuner and the reason Bose unleashed all this chaos is because they did not want to keep paying .40 cents per product to vTuner. Tunein has a pathetic station database mostly because they are venture funded to the tune of millions of dollars and need to make money by throwing ads in front of stations and doing other greedy things.

Also airable has nothing to to do with the tunein company Bose uses. There are two companies called tunein. And they are both parasites. Yamaha removed vTuner on Yamaha because airable offered the service for free to them. Let me tell you airables database sucks.

Another point is it costs money to keep a really good database like vTuner does that is open and does not restrict stations from being listed. I and people in my company have not gotten rich providing a internet radio service since 1998. We have done it because we love the idea of all the stations in the world being available. But now looks like I will need to close vTuner soon.

What these consumer electronic companies want is free no matter how bad the quality of the service is. 

bart1000
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 6, 2018

I have purchased so many products with the vTuner service over the years, only to see quality go down, and service interuptions.  You messed up Sony, Bose, Yamaha, and NOW my Roberts Radio was down for half a day yesterday.  Turning off servers/throwing another tantrum, or general incompetence?

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@vTunerCEO wrote:

Also airable has nothing to to do with the tunein company Bose uses. There are two companies called tunein. And they are both parasites. Yamaha removed vTuner on Yamaha because airable offered the service for free to them. Let me tell you airables database sucks.

I stand corrected. I misinterpreted the information I was reading. I will be sure to make an adjustment on my post.

Another point is it costs money to keep a really good database like vTuner does that is open and does not restrict stations from being listed. I and people in my company have not gotten rich providing a internet radio service since 1998. We have done it because we love the idea of all the stations in the world being available. But now looks like I will need to close vTuner soon.

I was always very happy with VTuner (like so many) albeit it I only used it in Bose products. Before that it was Shoutcast on iTunes. Cutting and pasting URLs was a feature built into iTunes and worked well for those hard to find and terrestrial radio stations .

Sorry to hear VTuner may be shutting down.

clearcomms
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 21, 2016

Of course it costs money - and effort - to keep a good database working.

Is this, I wonder, why for I think, the fourth time since Bose moved to TuneIn, one of my favourites has gone pear-shaped again. The station is Radio Mozart, based in France which is also where I am.

As before, the station still shows up in the TuneIn listing, and when I click on my Favourite, I get the right screen for it. Trouble is the music is not Mozart, but second-rate (to me, anyway) rock/pop. Obviously yet again the link has gone wrong.

It's really very boring, and since it has been this way for several days, any checking being done is not frequent.

But then as a Bose customer, I should be used to having to do the work that ought surely to be done by Bose or their suppliers (like enter url's, for instance).

I hope somebody can get Radio Mozart back.

Perhaps I shouldn't mention that I can get it on my Roberts Internet Radio (vTuner database, I think).

Nirfolis
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 14, 2019

I have a Soundtouch 10, a Soundtouch 20 and a Wave. The only station I listen to a lot is Virgin Dubai, and I suddenly can't listen to that on any of them. No email notification, no warning of an impending change that I've seen, just suddenly it's gone. To find out why I have to do a Google search!?!

What is being done about the hundreds of stations that people report as having gone missing?

Why have I been left with 3 Soundtouch radios that did what I wanted, but now don't?

Very disappointed.

Hi Nirfolis, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I have just looked into this a little further for you and it appears that TuneIn reports that the service is Unavailable. This could mean that Tunein could have possibly removed this station. 

I would recommend reaching out to Tunein about this issue. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Highlighted
bart1000
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 6, 2018

Hi,

All the Dubai stations have become Geo-blocked.  I get a "not available message from your location" message when trying to listen on the web site.  That Unavailable mesage from Tunein is the standard message when they don't have the permission to play the station.