Flip McVicker
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Re: 11/20 Update: TuneIn/internet radio information

My money is on a commercial exclusivity deal Bose have signed with TunedIn. I honestly cant see any other reason they'd commit an action of 'self harm' like this.

Example : I recall I used to use the 'running' feature on Spotify. It'd work out your cadence, then play songs that matched it. Worked laregely okay, many people used it and enjoyed it. Spotify sign a deal with Nike to promote a similar service of theirs : the spotify running feature vanishes. The community using it is very upset, spotify dont take any notice, cos they've got their cash from Nike.

So, Bose people : is this the same kind of thing? Is this a deal you've signed with TunedIn?

FWeyn
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 30, 2017

@Flip McVicker wrote:

My money is on a commercial exclusivity deal Bose have signed with TunedIn. I honestly cant see any other reason they'd commit an action of 'self harm' like this.

Example : I recall I used to use the 'running' feature on Spotify. It'd work out your cadence, then play songs that matched it. Worked laregely okay, many people used it and enjoyed it. Spotify sign a deal with Nike to promote a similar service of theirs : the spotify running feature vanishes. The community using it is very upset, spotify dont take any notice, cos they've got their cash from Nike.

So, Bose people : is this the same kind of thing? Is this a deal you've signed with TunedIn?

Of course it is !!

AlainP
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Seems that NOWHERE in the world people are happy with the changes. In my country (Belgium) main radios are not available anymore.

Bose obviously does not care, only way to get them to react is an official complaint to the local authories.

geney
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

My presets stopped working, and I googled online to stumble into ALL OF THIS. Wow, what a debacle!

My experience: I have had repeated problems with the SoundTouch app for MacOS, which is usually how I admin my Soundtouch device. First prompted for an update, and then it can't find my device, and then "we can't connect to the Bose server right now." And all my presets remain empty. Even restarting my computer didn't solve the problem. 

The good news: I then fired up my SoundTouch app in my iPhone, and voila, my presets all returned via the new TuneIn service. Sound is good and connection is immediate. And the button presets on my device have all returned to functional.

I realize this may not solve all the problems listed by others. But if you've had difficulty with the desktop app, try the smartphone app and see what happens. It seemed to be an immediate fix for me. I was beginning to think my Soundtouch was going to become a doorstop/paperweight so I'm glad to keep using it for its primary purpose: streaming internet radio stations.

Bose: let us know when the desktop app problems have been addressed.

Dreams666
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Again...

You have no solution to propose.

You offered a global streaming service. Instead of increasing this service (somewhat we should expect from you), you cut half of this service. How many developers were working on that? Did you followed some methodology for switching to another service? A good project manager would be nice in this kind of project.

We are telling you since 2 days that what you have done is really the badest thing you had to do...

TuneIn is not the solution that you think it is.

Maybe TuneIn is nice for US and part of Europe. Do you only care about this limited amount of customer?

Do you really think that this strategy will drive you to a new success story?

The only thing you have to do, now, is to work day and night to find a way to add URL for streaming content.

It's your only way to calm down thousand (and maybe more in the next weeks) of really angry Bose consumers.

You have to increase your level of communication.

The countdown has started for you... 

Press is aware of what you are doing (or not doing). In the next week many audio (and other) blogs will tell to the world how you deal with your consumers, what you have done with some products that don't have any future.

So if you don't care, you can just ignore my message.

We don't need apologies. It's too late. Don't tell us to be patient.

We need action, and quick! We need results. We need an acceptable workaround.

You already lost a buyer for one of your future products. Too bad.

avour
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jul 15, 2016

+1

charlieejn
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Well I might as well give this I try, although I'm almost certain these stations won't get added to TuneIn. These are UK stations, but I live in CANADA so they will need to work in Canada (you know, like they do on vTuner, the perfectly good internet radio service we were using 4 days ago).

Absolute Radio

http://tx.planetradio.co.uk/icecast.php?i=absoluteradio.mp3

Absolute Radio 80s

http://tx.planetradio.co.uk/icecast.php?i=absolute80s.mp3

Absolute Radio 90s

http://tx.planetradio.co.uk/icecast.php?i=absolute90s.mp3

These are just the stations I listen to regularly. I haven't had chance to try any of the other stations I listen to.

The best solution has been suggested by me before (and many others on this thread) just give us the option to enter our own URLs. If you're not going to add new services, let us choose what we listen to.

Also, your Android app is a pretty terrible user experience. Every time it goes in to the background and you reopen it, it shows the whole loading screen again and takes about 10 seconds to come back to life. I'm an app developer and I wouldn't accept this kind of shoddy work on an app I was working on.

If this was a low-end set up products I'd be more willing to accept these problems. We're paying a premium for SoundTouch products, so you have a duty to provide us with a service to match.

VinceThePrince
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

Agreed. Same issue all RTBF Belgian radio not provided thru TuneIn.

BillCo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Missing:  RTBF Belgium stations

Tunein can not add this radio due to a legal context.

Please add a function to add the direct link to the radio (as sonos have done)

trimley-dave
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 21, 2018

Since the change to TuneIn, I can no longer play rivieraradio.mc - this is a Monaco based station that transmits in English and is a particular favourite of mine.

Very disappointed.