s.gourisankar
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

Acoustimass 300 - Low Bass Volume

Hi, I recently bought SOundbar 300 with AM 300 sub and VI surround speakers. I am using latest sound touch app v 19 from android phone. Unfortunately, I listen no boss effect from AM300. I see almost no difference when I switch on or switch off AM300 in the app.  I have done all the calibration process with AdaptIQ as described.

I am missing power from AM 300.  I know there were lot of issues with earlier versions of soundtouch app in 2017. I am surprised even today 2018 we have the same issue even with app version V19. Could you please anyone let me know the solution this problem?

23 REPLIES 23
Tony_A
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: Acoustimass 300 - Low Bass Volume

Hello gourisankar

Thanks for posting in the community!  Sorry to hear about the troubles, but would be happy to help!

• When running through the AdaptIQ calibration process, did you notice the bass notes were loud and clear during the calibration?
  • How does the AM300 sound when playing music from either the SoundTouch sources or Bluetooth?
  • How far away is the AM300 from the soundbar?
  • Have you tried connecting it directly to the soundbar with a 3.5mm cable yet to see if it could be interference?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

s.gourisankar
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

Dear mr. Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I would like answer your questions.

• When running through the AdaptIQ calibration process, did you notice the bass notes were loud and clear during the calibration?  Ans: I could hear
  • How does the AM300 sound when playing music from either the SoundTouch sources or Bluetooth? Ans: SoundTouch sources, Bluetooth and also HDMI ARC TV connection
  • How far away is the AM300 from the soundbar?  Ans: 50cm to 1 m away
  • Have you tried connecting it directly to the soundbar with a 3.5mm cable yet to see if it could be interference?  Ans: No

Actually AM300 delivers almost no boss (Can only be noticeble at very high volumes). Then I wrapped AdaptIQ headset with a towel and re-calibrated. This time boss was improved, but not good enough. Then I called Bose customer care, Germany. They suggested to cover the AM300 module with a thick blanket and calibrated again. I did it and it worked.

With all these work arounds, I am sure I am not enjoing the Bose intended sound quality. Either too high boss or too less. Uneven balance of Boss and treble. Could you please let me know Bose is workimng to fix the issues with Soundtouch app? Or some functionalities to manually adjust Boss AM300 ? I mean bydefault deliver to the full posible potential and user can change on his own later? As we know Bose recommended calibrtation process is not working for majority of users.

In addition, one of the surround speakers (VI) is louder than the others. I wanted both of them to be equally powered as both are equidistent from my listening position.

Tony_A
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hello s.gourisankar

Thanks for replying back.  The tough situation here is everyone's ears are tuned differently.  We do not recommend covering the AM300 with a thick blanket during calibration as this is going to give false reads to the headset, and over compensate, which could lead to premature issues with the system.  

There are ways of adjusting the bass by using the Bose remote.  Once you press the bass button, you will see a single LED lit up on the soundbar.  You would want to press the volume + to increase the bass until the LED on the far right is fully lit.  Also, placing the AM300 tightly into a corner can help increase bass performance tremendously as you will be achieving something called boundary loading.  

Regarding the surround levels, we do not have individual controls for left or right, but there are surround volume settings in the app.  You shouldn't be getting constant audio from both left and right surrounds when watching TV as the rear speakers are designed for sound effects.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

s.gourisankar
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply. Dont you think, I realized the option to change Boss from remote volume keys and also keeping the module at tight corners (These are very well described in the manual right?, In addition, bose you tube channel also described very well right?)

If things are so simple, then why professional bose customer care suggestets to use blanket method? Is it a work around? 

Yes, eveyones ears tuned differently. But I dont want horribly high meaningless boss effect or at the same, I dont want unnoticed boss effect. I want optimum boss effect. In fact my living room is a standard appartments living room. 

I want to be thrilled with the sound quality and hence I bought Bose, "the bass of sound technology".... But there are software and firmware issues.........

s.gourisankar
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

Hi Toni,

I already calibrated with thick blanket solution as suggested by Bose customer care Germany. Would this create  potential techincal issues?  Should I calibrate again normally?

Kindly let me know.

But I tried calibrating normally. I dont have Boss effect at all. 

Tony_A
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi s.gourisankar

If that is the case, there may be an issue with the system especially if it is happening with all sources.  I would recommend reaching back out to the service group to see if there are service options available for the system.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

s.gourisankar
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

Hi Tony,

Ok. May be I should contact my dealer as the system is just 3 weeks old as of now. I would ask for a replacement?

Tony_A
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi s.gourisankar

Yes, I think that might be a good idea, as I have this same setup in my living room at home, and the bass performance is huge where I do not bring the bass adjustment more than half way after it's calibrated.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

s.gourisankar
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

Hi Tony,

I cant return the AM300 module as it is now more than a month old. Infact, I can do it if it is defective. But it produces Bass effect when I calibrated it when it was covered with a thick blanket during calibration.  But you suggested doing this way is not good for the hardware and hence not recommended.