Adding internet Radio to soundtouch

Animated Arbiter

Adding internet Radio to soundtouch

With Bose removing Internet radio and replacing it with Tunein, existing Bose Soundtouch owners will find that their favourate stations are missing and Tunein is no longer adding stations (there is a very long thread about this).

In three weeks Bose has not resolved the problem, backed out of the failed downgrade or responding to peoples issues apart from asking owner to post the stations they are missing, presumably so they can pass them on to a service provider thats not adding new stations!!!

That said, the Bose soundtouch are excellent sounding wireless speakers, allow wifi as opposed to just bluetooth, and provide an AUX input that allows the use of anouther content source, it's the AUX port that allows existing owners to add Internet radio. For poeple considering Bose I would recommending they make sure it can access the stations they listen to before purchasing, or consider something else like Sonos.

My solution has been to get my old SqueezeBox out, and connect it to my Bose SoundTouch20, this provides Internet radio, an excellent music library and good DLNA compatability. One SoundLink is connectd to my PC, and anouther SoundLink connected to my stereo which has broadcast radio (also DLNA support). While a little more complicated (wife's not so sure she likes it, apart from now being able to listen to her stations of course) it provides a alarm, everything can be controlled from a Smartphone, and of course everthing can be sync throughout the house and outside.

Long term I won't be buying any more Bose products and will slowly migrate to something like Sonos, but I have a dozen Bose SoundTouch devices to swap out and don't have the money to just dump Bose outright.

If other have a better solution to adding Internet Radio to Bose e.g. Raspberry, BeagleBoard X15, please post suggestions.

3 REPLIES

Re: Adding internet Radio to soundtouch

Hi paudux,

Thanks for the post.

We are still actively accepting requests for stations that are missing or not playing correctly on TuneIn and acting on those to get your favorite stations back to working order as soon as possible.  If you have stations you would like to have added to TuneIn, please request them in the TuneIn thread HERE.

Where did you see that TuneIn is no longer adding stations?  This is misinformation, and I would like to correct it if I can find the post.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

Reply from Tunein when asking for local stations to be added.

Thank you for the reply, paudux.

I apologize for the conflicting information, but you are more than welcome to suggest stations in the thread that I linked above.  We escalate those to TuneIn directly.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Brandon