Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

AirPlay 2 on SoundTouch: Stonewalled by Bose

A month ago I wrote to Jason_G at Bose, asking if they might give some sort of an update. I wrote to him since he has made the official announcements for Bose in the past.

AirPlay 2 capability was announced 2 years ago; and in an update it was promised by the end of 2018.

I tried to word the request politely while suggesting that some words from Bose were overdue. I genuinely thought Bose might say something.

But I was stonewalled.

The silence and lack of apparent action on the part of Bose is becomingly increasingly untennable.

Here is my private email to Jason_G at Bose:

Sent: ‎2019-05-21 06:23 PM

On June 27, 2017 you announced availability of Apple AirPlay 2 for the SoundTouch product line. On June 25, 2018 (more than a year later) you suggested availability of AirPlay 2 for the SoundTouch line by the end of this (2018) year. (See: Bose Official Airplay 2 Announcement)

We are now well into 2019.

I have been both polite and patient on this issue. I have been supportive of Bose products for more than 45 years. In forum postings on this topic I have encouraged that users be patient and reasonable.

The silence and lack of apparent action on the part of Bose is becomingly increasingly untennable. Like so many others, I am frustrated by both the lack of having this feature and by the complete lack of communications.

Considering that it has been close to two years since the announcement and that the expectation was set for feature delivery by the end of 2018, I think it is appropriate to provide some clarity of what is going on and what may be expected.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: AirPlay 2 on SoundTouch: Stonewalled by Bose

I seriously doubt he is authorized to say anything about it.  I doubt it will ever happen, but maybe.  I solved it with an Apple TV 4K and all is good.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

That solution isn't a general one for the following reasons:

• It's an added $180 per device
  • It's not compatible with many SoundTouch devices like the desktop radios
  • It is far too technical for somebody such as my wife to navigate

Bose promised this capability in 2017.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@DavidKovanen wrote:

That solution isn't a general one for the following reasons:

• It's an added $180 per device
  • It's not compatible with many SoundTouch devices like the desktop radios
  • It is far too technical for somebody such as my wife to navigate

Bose promised this capability in 2017.

I have been using Apple routers, attached to SoundTouch gear, for a few years now. Before the aux input relay feature was implemented, I invested in a router attached to each SoundTouch speaker, all with good success. Now you only require one Apple device (ATV or Airport Express). The multiroom feature in the Bose app will do the rest.

Note: To create a master, remember, the SoundTouch 10,20,30 and smart speakers only AirPort Express will work because of the 3.5 input port. The home theater speakers offer more options like Apple TV over HDMI. Apple TV series 4 also gives you Apple Music directly.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Not only that, but do you want a solution, or do you simply want to come here and complain?

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

I want a solution my wife can use and enjoy.

Therefore, it must be simple, straightforward, reliable. Like AirPlay is.

it needs to play on all speakers as she walks through the house. It needs to work on any of our Bose devices.

The Rube Goldberg solutions being proposed would work for me, somewhat, but are far more complicated than my wife can navigate.

We have an Apple TV connected to the Great Room TV with SoundTouch 300 and could use it as an audio gateway. But we don’t always want music in the Great Room when we are in the Beach House or Conservatory, and sometimes the Great Room TV is in use for other purposes.

Simple.

The solution I want is AirPlay implemented, as promised, by Bose. And it seems that complaining may be the only path left to me to obtain that.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Why not buy a system that will do what you want for your beach house and your conservatory?

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

Some people actuall like Bose hardware. It really is well designed. But being that Bose is a high priced brand they need to stay up on what customers reall want. 

I have had lifestyle systems in my home theater for years now. But as much as I like my 650 for size I finally got to the point where it was not only apple promising arplay 2 but thet are behind in the tech. Thinks like 7.1 and atmos they seem to think thay we don't want because ethey do good enough with 5.1.

Well I have sold my 650 and replaced it with a airplay 2 compatible receiver. While my system has increased in size it also has increased in how much i enjoy it. The 650 is Bose's best home theater system. And for what I sold it for i was able to replace it with something i think is better.  

Defend Bose all you want but as there are losing people like me who really liked bose products. I was a long time supporter i have been buying bose for years. I am hoping that they finally get it together and fix the soundtouch line but it not something i am counting on. Bose seems to be droping from the good high quality product it used to be. 

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I think everyone on this forum actually likes Bose hardware.  That's why we're here.  However, constant complaining is probably not going to help.  When Bose starts losing market share, they will figure out it's time to do something different.  I'm sitting here now trying to figure out how I could get a 5.1.4 Atmos system, with 20 feet ceiling, that my wife wouldn't object to.  Probably not possible.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2019

Thanks DavidKovanen for your post about the delay in bringing Airplay 2 to the SoundTouch speakers.

Like many others, a "future" Airplay 2 support also influenced my purchase decision. The unfulfilled promise plus the vague information provided by Bose in this very same forum are very disappointing. I wish Bose support agents could stop playing dumb and inform whether Airplay 2 is actually coming or not. Hardware as old and capable as the SoundTouch already received Airplay 2 support.

A note. I do not find surprising that a company of the size and reputation of Bose manages this issue in such an ineffective way. My last experience was with the MacBook Pro Retina and the "staingate". Apple also played dumb until the problem was made public by  unsatisfied customers, then the company reacted adequately offering to replace the faulty screens. "Constant complaining" is a legit and effective strategy that I hope can work with Bose and the lack of Airplay 2 support in the SoundTouch.