nitrowelder
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

Airplay 2 Integration

As of the May 25th, Sonos has announced which of there speakers will be available for use with Airplay 2. Unfortunately for legacy Sonos owners the ability will only be available for the newest play one and play 5 models. I am concerned that something similar may be in the works for when Bose announces its devices for Airplay 2 integration. I would hope that at this point Bose engineers know which ones(if any) will work with Airplay 2 and that we, as your loyal customers could get the same courtesy offered by Sonos to there customers.

Thanks

347 REPLIES 347
gonzalohb
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

We need answers from Bose, Apple are in the beta cycle whit iOS 11.4 and whit the Sonos announcement its clear the launch of Airplay 2 is very close, so it’s important transparency whit the costumer like Sonos did. We need to know what model will be compatible whit Airplay 2 or if Apple Music will be implement in any time soon on the SoundTouch systems. Common Bose speak whit your costumers

Hello All,

Thank you both for the posts and inquiries.

We are committed to bring Airplay 2 to our existing SoundTouch products and new products that are forthcoming. We will share further details regarding timing and availability when possible.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

theBurtReynold
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 29, 2018

Ping! iOS 11.4 is live! Smiley Happy

vikranta
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 21, 2017

Airplay 2 is out. Can folks from Bose please give an update on when you plan to release updates to support airplay 2? I think it is high time you gave out a little communication on this. Thanks!

ThEnder
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 19, 2017

Would love to get an update from Bose on this as well. Initial announcement of Airplay2 compatability was motnhs ago...where are the details?

welfareboy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 21, 2017

Same here!

I hope they have somthing up their sleeve as the bose connect app which is used for their bluetooth speaker and headphones now have apple music interigated for iOS (Mind you this is strange as since your on bluetooth you can just use apple music but the additon of internet radio to the app has been most welcome by me)

Eferraz
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Sep 27, 2014

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 2.37.21 PM.pngThis is on apple page On apple page this is updated on its page Bose apper as a supporting speaker for Airplay 2, When you guys will sent the update

karpodiem
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 10, 2014

It's interesting that other manufacturers have legacy products (those available for purchase for some time now / prior to Airplay 2 being released) that list support for Airplay 2, yet the SoundTouch devices are absent.

I'm curious if Apple has released a protocol specification for Airplay 2 that has minimum hardware requirement levels. I understand that its up to the manufacturers to release firmware updates on the software side, but there also seems to be a hardware threshold here.

Bose has previously indicated they are 'committed' to bringing Airplay 2 to existing SoundTouch, but if the other manufacturers are able to promise hardware support for legacy devices, did they do this prior to reviewing a final protocol specification, or is Bose late in announcing official Airplay 2 support?

Highlighted
lw9090
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 29, 2015

Knowing Bose it will never happen or be in 2020.