Airplay 2 Integration

Audible Advocate

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

From what I read on 9to5mac, Bose has a media event June 20th. I hope we dont have to wait this long....

Sonos will support ONE, PLAY5 & PLAYBASE.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

I'm also anxious for BOSE to announce AirPlay 2 updates to all of their SoundTouch systems. Please BOSE, don't let us down!!! 

Friendly Fanatic

I made so far some testing with two apple Tv (New TvOs) connected both to bose speakers and the audio stremming did not look as sync as I wish. Compare wen we used multiply room on Bose Soundtouch systems. I thing that apple is not ready yet with this release, at least when striming to speakers attached to apple TV Using Airplay 2. 

Audible Advocate

That's interesting. So you're streaming to two Apple TV 4 devices (running tvOS 11.4) that are connected to Bose speakers, and the audio is out of sync? How are you connecting the devices to the speakers if the Apple TV only has a HDMI output? HDMI to RCA or optical, or to a receiver that has HDMI?

Audible Advocate

He's probably connecting via Bluetooth, and I'm positive that Apple will make no claim that such a setup even CAN be kept in-sync.

When you connect any speaker to an Apple TV via Bluetooth, you add some small amount of latency.  Since there is no possible means by which Apple could know how much (e.g. how far away the speaker is, what chipset it's using, what interference there might be, ...), there's no possible way for Apple to pull off the sync.

HomePods, in contrast, can be kept in-sync b/c they're doing all kinds of crazy stuff to communicate between eachother + have microphones to feedback to their processing units if/when to delay their sound output.

Friendly Fanatic

I have two apple TV, One is connected via HDMI to a Soundtouch Bar the 130, and the other a new 4K apple TV to a Bose V35 system also connected via HDMI (the only doubt I have is that the HDMI cable go first to a LG 4K TV and then to optical from the LG to the bose v35, I did this due to Bose V35 does not support 4K passtrhougth) 

But when playing using Iphone X ad select the two apple tv for multi room experience I notice that i didt not sound well and properly sync, the difference is minimal but there is a diference and delay.

Probably is my type of connection or probably is the Airply protocol, I do not know if somebody make other test but that was my result

Audible Advocate

Agree on the limitations for Bluetooth, but shouldn't be the case for Airpaly/wifi.

As long as the clocks are in sync between the devices (since the device can get a 'universal' time from reaching out to the internet, that shouldn't be an issue) and the buffer is somewhat a few seconds full of audio, you're good.

The iOS client device is acting as the 'conductor' in this instance, like in an orchestra. What Apple is doing is providing a streaming link to each of the host Airplay devices. So as long as they have 'some' wifi reception, I don't see why they couldn't all stream simultaneously. 

The amount of buffer backup is limited to the transfer rate of the slowest Airplay host to process/store that information.

I've been thinking about Airplay 2 in my head for a few months now, it's not an easy problem to solve. But it's not impossible either. Apple is attempting to do something that's a bit above and beyond current implementations - multi-minute buffer queue, high fidelity lossless audio multi-minute buffer taking up a large part of a host device memory, timing for audio sychronization, etc.

Audible Advocate

"(the only doubt I have is that the HDMI cable go first to a LG 4K TV and then to optical from the LG to the bose v35, I did this due to Bose V35 does not support 4K passtrhougth) "

I would guess that's the underlying issue that's causing the problem.

Friendly Fanatic

Bose is late like always on the last few years, so they have a event on 20 of June to announce new speakers and to told us the existing line don’t support AirPlay 2, but the new ones did. I’m suspecting this because they are so quaiet. But if is the case I’ll put on sale all my SoundTouch except de 300 because it connecting to my Apple TV 4K, and change to another brand or a HomePod line. This equipment it’s so expensive, and the client needs better support like Apple did whit his clients.
VC9
Audible Advocate

I bought ST130 bar and woofer 3 years ago with a promise from the Bose showroom salesman that it will support Airplay "soon". 3 years later, I am left with no hope that Bose will support Airplay on ST130, with some excuse around hardware of the wireless module and try sell me ST300. Hope can they can somehow multi-cast via my ST30 - II, that supported Airplay 1. Lets see. 

I too would like to get clarity on this, and Apple music, since Airplay 2 was supposedly the route to Apple music too.