RVJacobs
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 28, 2015

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

Hello Bose,

I bought myself a soundtouch portable 2, two soundtouch 10’s and a soundbar 300. The bose shop in which I bought the last one, told me it would get an update for airplay 2. Please Bose can you confirm that all these soundtouch products that I already have, will get a software update to support airplay 2, or do I have to sell them all and buy myself new speakers?
Highlighted
Scott L.
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2018

I was also told my Lifestyle 650 and Sountouch 20 would recieve an update that would enable AirPlay 2. Can someone from BOSE confirm this?

mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

It would be nice if someone from Bose would at least commect on this. However I fully expect as they have shown in the past that it will not be repplied to for a while and then we will be told that they can't comment on future updates but the will pass it along to the development team. Pretty much thier standard response without telling us a thing

Wergez
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

In the German community the moderator replied that they have currently no information on Airplay 2 to share.

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Lautsprecher/Update-zur-Airplay-2-Apple-Music-HomeKit/m-p/1...

tippex
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

I also think that it would be nice if Bose would give us some information, but given my experience as an owner over the last year I very much doubt that this will be the case.  I don't know why they can't have a much more open approach like Sonos and at least let us know which speakers will be firmware updatable even if it is not possible to give a date.  Surely that's not too much to ask?

All this lack of response is doing is making me more likely to get rid of my Bose kit and replace with Sonos which is already Apple Music compatible irrespective of which models are Airplay 2 compatible.

With the upcoming Sonos event next week on June 6th, if they announce a HDMI equipped soundbar as is expected then it wont be a difficult decision for me.  Bose really need to up their game given the current competition.

ThEnder
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 19, 2017

For the Bose moderators and staff - what exactly is the point of this forum if not to address issues and provide information? A casual look at the threads in here would suggest that you're doing neither. That's pretty dissapointing to a group of users who have invested thousands into your products.

Frenzy McFly
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 1, 2017

Yes, please let us know asap. I have the first gen ST20 (the one with airplay). I want to know if I can invest in more Bose or make the switch to Sonos.
Tohuwabohu
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Even my point of view - tell us the truth about your AirPlay2 plans!!!

no more lies. Are you going to realize it or not? Tell us! Yes or no - very easy! 

spagnu26
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 31, 2018

Good afternoon!  I'm not trying to be a troll, but may be able to help.  Bose already has an HDMI equipped soundbar, ST300, which was launched a couple of years ago.  You have always been able to use Apple Music with SoundTouch, albeit via Bluetooth, and then use the app to stream multi-room.  Speaking of Bluetooth, this is where Sonos lacks.  They don't have it, which limits the use of their tech.  Granted, Bluetooth is not the best, but it's hard to tell much of a difference between wi-fi and BT.  AirPlay2 is coming, Apple announced Bose would be a part of this last year.  Rememeber, this is Apple's proprietary tech, so other players need the go ahead from Apple in order to update and then you need the other players to be able to develop their adaptation to work with their hardware.  It's not as simple as you want it to be.  Relax, enjoy SoundTouch for what it is, an excellent sounding ecosystem that offers so much more than Sonos.

tippex
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

Thanks for the advice.

I am aware of the ST300, I own one as well as the sub and a ST20 III all purchased within the last year since the Airplay 2 announcement was made.  If both of these are able to recieve an Airplay 2 enabling update within the near future (or at least a promise that it will be available), I will more than likely stick with my Bose.

It is still extremely frustrating that no one from Bose is updating their customers who have invested a lot of money in their kit when their competitors are able to offer this info.  I see that other topics on the forum are being watched by mods so am sure that this is being read.  Bose customer service advice is to continue checking their channels and website when the competition announced which devices would be backward compatible nearly a month a go.  The last offical update from Bose was June last year.

I am aware of the bluetooth option and it is flawed both from an audio quality and range perspective when compared to wifi streaming, not to mention the interruption to music when recieving phone calls.  I fail to see how this 90s technology gives Bose the technical edge over what Sonos are currently offering... for example, being compatible with more streaming services and having Alexa built in just to name a couple.

At the end of the day, I want a system that sounds good, looks good and meets my requirements of working with the TV via HDMI ARC connection and being able to stream over wifi throughout the house with Apple Music.  If another system becomes available that meets these requirements while Bose have still made no comittments to their existing customers I will have no issues whatsoever with buying a new system.

Over to you Bose......