Airplay 2 Integration

Audible Advocate

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

Bose already let me down introducing Bluetooth right after i bought a lot of SoundTouch 1 stuff. The available music services was the second big disappointment that never seemed to be making any foot forward. Now we’re on the edge of another big descision and frankly i’m already in the negative scenario with Bose. If they f*ck this up again i’m Going to throw everything out the window and buy something progressive that actually’s worth paying for the innovation that Bose’s still not delivering. On the flip side: if they do make the SoundTouch 1 versions support this i’m back onboard. Bluetooth took hardware, AirPlay 2 takes Code and internet to drop that code onto my device. You guys better make sure to deliver that to ALL your SoundTouch supporters!

Animated Arbiter

I went to the BOSE store where I bought my Lifestyle 650 and SoundTouch 20 and spoke to the associate that sold me the units. He has been under the impression that BOSE was bringing AirPlay 2 to the latest SoundTouch line all along. He told me that if it doesn't materialize that he would work with me on an exchange. I really want to keep the systems and hope that AirPlay implimentation comes to the current SoundTouch line. Apple's WWDC is today, so let's hope for an update from BOSE regarding SoundTouch.

Quiet Contributor

I am quite positive Bose will update most current models with Airplay 2 unless it is technically impossible, which is doubtful. Bose is not Samsung, which will rather bring new model every 6 months than to upgrade some older model. However like with other Bose upgrades, it will probably take half a year or more before we get the upgrade.

Silent Starter

+1

My bose is already up for sale.

Silent Starter

Mine too, 2 soundtouch 10 without airplay! i think i will buy sonos if any news appear in next week

Audible Advocate

Since it hasn't even been announced which speakers will get AirPlay2 and Bose aren't listed with their speakers on the Apple Airplay site, I can't imagine that they will get an update soon.
Tomorrow (6.06.) a Sonos event will take place and a new playbar will probably be announced. If this has HDMI and DTS, I will buy them and my SoundTouch 300 and Acoustimass 300 will be on eBay.

Audible Advocate

Could Bose be more transparent about the AirPlay 2? Sure. Are they obligated to? No. Apple is currently listing those spearkers who officially announced an update for AirPlay 2 (besides the HomePod no other speakers support AirPlay 2) - and no timeframe when it will be released. 

My guess is, that Bose is exploring the possibility on how to implement AirPlay 2 the best way. Suprisingly such a process takes usually some time. I rather prefer to have a "perfect implementation" which takes its time for developing and testing than having a buggy implementation which needs several updates to fix all issues. Sometimes it is impossible to give a timeframe. Apple itself needed almost a year to release AirPlay 2.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

wrote:

Could Bose be more transparent about the AirPlay 2? Sure. Are they obligated to? No. Apple is currently listing those spearkers who officially announced an update for AirPlay 2 (besides the HomePod no other speakers support AirPlay 2) - and no timeframe when it will be released. 

My guess is, that Bose is exploring the possibility on how to implement AirPlay 2 the best way. Suprisingly such a process takes usually some time. I rather prefer to have a "perfect implementation" which takes its time for developing and testing than having a buggy implementation which needs several updates to fix all issues. Sometimes it is impossible to give a timeframe. Apple itself needed almost a year to release AirPlay 2.

I just want confirmation that it's happening at any level. They made a Tweet about it a year ago. BOSE please confirm that AirPlay 2 is still coming to the existing SoundTouch line.

Bose on Twitter
"Apple Music in every room, plus Siri. SoundTouch with AirPlay 2 coming soon. #WWDC20...

Audible Advocate

Hi Scott, Bose has responded/confirmed on this chain (though it was on a post much earlier in this chain) that they are adding Airplay 2 to Soundtouch products. I recently asked if there was an update on timing and Bose responded that there was not an update available. Bose also did not explicitly state which generations of Soundtouch products other than suggesting the update would come to products already purchased by users.

Since I already own five Soundtouch devices, I will simply wait for the update.
Animated Arbiter

Apologies...  I appear to have double posted.  Mods, can we delete this duplicate please?