Highlighted
jcit
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 9, 2017

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

Hi. How did you get the Sonos connect equipment to play nice with Soundtouch?

Thanks!

Highlighted
pmart
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 15, 2017

Wonder why Sonos, a relatively new company, is so far ahead of Bose!!!
Highlighted
mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

I would say it is because sonos has really good customer support. They know what thier customers want and let them have it. 

Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@pmart wrote:
Wonder why Sonos, a relatively new company, is so far ahead of Bose!!!

Interesting and thought provoking question.

My first thought is what does “so far ahead of Bose mean” ?

Sonos gets full marks for being everywhere these days and that includes in advertising and promotion and for having a large selection of music services available on their platform. The grand daddy of course is AirPlay and Apple Music. Who knows why Bose dropped support for AirPlay a couple years back. The official reason(lacking multiroom support) was minimally enlightening.

Sonos has a pretty broad selection of wireless speaker products and were very early to the game.

But does that mean they are selling more wireless speaker products? Reading posts from Sonos users, they have their complaints as well. Not surprisingly Sonos / AirPlay 2 is buggy. 

I have watched some of the Sonos product marketing videos, thought I was at Bose.ca!

Perhaps there are a few ex Bose employees working at Sonos these days. 

I had a good look at all these products before making my purchases a couple years back. I found Sonos sound lacking, kind of boring. Similar observations for of the other brand name products out their - boring sound. Devialet, BlueNote and Naim were certainly contenders and they have very good sound, but are pricey. I could never get AirPlay/ Wi-Fi to work properly on B and W. 

My observation of Bose is that they are a large company, move slowly, carefully and play tightly to the market. Bose, like Apple, will not hesitate to drop a product if that product is perceived not to be selling very well. Bose has really trimmed their speaker line up these days. I think the Bose line up represents what people are buying. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the next speakers to go are the book shelf speakers (161 and 301).

Instead consumers are putting integrated SoundTouch speakers on the shelves these days.

Finally, Bose has a broader array of products such has personal gear like head phones(which are very popular) and BlueTooth Speakers not to mention their commercial division. Hence my first comment.

Update: Wired magazine is running a story this month about Sonos. Reading the article, I better understand how difficult it is to bring these audio technologies to market. 

Highlighted
tippex
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

I know that I have moaned a bit on this thread in the past, but at least the Bose mods have now pinned the post to say that Airplay 2 is coming and on that post it says by the end of the year.  I am happy with that timescale but would be even happier if they were to let me know if the ST300 would be likely to be getting the update.

I was really unimpressed with the announcement of the Sonos Beam, in my opinion it's the product that nobody needs.  Looking at a lot of the AV forums, my opinion seems to be shared.  If they would have bought out a full blown soundbar with the same functionality and some better surround codec support I would have more than likely made the switch.

In the meantime, I have purchased a homepod for the kitchen and it blows my ST20 III out of the water for sound quality, the balance is a lot more natural than the ST20 which tends to have too much bass and not enough mid (my assessment may be slightly unfair here as the homepod is streaming over wifi whereas I am still relying on bluetooth for the ST20)...  yes I know it's more expensive but it also has the added bonus of voice control for my Homekit lighting / thermostat etc.

It looks like the ST20 in my bedroom will be going soon to be replaced with another Homepod as I have been really impressed with it.  I have been holding off buying the surrounds to go with my ST300 and sub for the last 18 months until Airplay 2 becomes available.  If it does, I think that the Homepods in other areas of the apartment and the ST300 with Airplay 2 in the lounge would be the perfect system.  I really want Bose to make this happen as I will reiterate that the ST300 and sub is a fantastic setup for film / TV.  It's just lacking with music support.

What I will say here is that Sonos appear to have stolen a march on not just Bose but a number of other established audio vendors.  Bose was a launch partner of Airplay 2 in June last year, Sonos didn't even announce a partnership until October last year.  Other companies are giving timescales of August / September for their implementations.  I work in software specifically for media and there have been a number of traditional hardware companies in my sector which have pretty much dissapeared due to relatively young, but more innovative companies entering the marketplace.  If Bose were to put the effort into development that they do in other areas, they could have the sector sewn up.

Highlighted
dcassidy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 31, 2018

While it does say "by the end of the year", you're failing to notice that the post was made over a year ago.  Airplay 2 wasn't released until the 29th May 2018 as part of the iOS 11.4 update, so it would have been imposible for Bose to support Airplay 2 before then.

I would like to purchase more Bose devices, but I'm holing off until there is support for Airplay 2.

Perhaps Bose could confirm if they're activly working on this or if it's something that's in their backlog of improvements?

Highlighted
leviverhoeven
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jul 8, 2017

Hello,

Is there any news about the release of the software update to bring Airplay 2 to the existing SoundTouch products (SoundTouch 300 for example)?

Kind regards

Levi

Haitham
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 5, 2018

Not yet i believe, not a single timeline/ progress announcement.

Which makes me really coming to an end with Bose, i've jumped in only 2 years ago and since then i've been frustrated with Crappy iOS/Mac apps, lack of communications as in this Airplay2 issue.

I'm exploring my options to move to Homepod / Sonos speakers but can't take Bose anymore, Airplay 2 is announced more than a year ago and Bose announced support, not acceptable completely that long time after nothing is anounced at all, no clear timeline or so forth.

I think it's becoming "Nokia" of the Audio world.

Highlighted
lparsio007
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 11, 2018

After being disappointed by Bose and their lack of attention on this topic, I bought an Apple Homepod.  I couldn't be happier.  In fact, after a trial period I purchased more of them.  They work and sound great.  Not only did I save money (because they are cheaper) but I can talk to Siri.  These are Apple's entry into the market and they did a great job.  I could see Apple introducing larger Homepod which would compete with Bose's larger more expensive speakers.  Therefore, no need to wait for Bose, give the Homepod a try and put Bose in the rear view mirror. 

Highlighted
mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

I have to agreee i now have 4 homepods. both pairs in stereo mode. And the only Bose system in the house that sounds better is my lifestyle  650.But i have to connect a sonos to it for apple music All the soundtouch speakers I have don't measure up to the homepods. 

I imagine this time next year we will still be waiting for airplay 2 from bose. bose likes to announce upcoming features but never really delivers on them.