sailnavy
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 21, 2015

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

Joel,

Which SoundTouch speakers? Specifically, which model numbers will support it? This bit me with my Lifestyle Series 1 systems. Was going to support Sound Touch, then ony Series 2, and then only with a dongle. I've been waiting as I have 4 Sound Touch speakers. They're great, but the AirPlay only works so so. I've been hopeful for a long time, but it's looking like Bose is less and less serious about updating old products, and if I'm going to upgrade, I'm going to a company that is willing to update older products. It'd be great to integrate my lifestyle systems, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards for bose unless I buy an entire new system.

Highlighted
Tohuwabohu
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Are you serious that you need another half a year to implement Airplay2? What are you doing the whole day?

Highlighted
Andy_K
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 27, 2015

Apple has been kind enough to release a firmware update for their Airport Express to make it Airplay 2 compatible

https://www.cultofmac.com/572373/apple-airport-express-airplay-2-support-firmware-upgrade/

A product that was released over 5 years ago in 2013 that was recently discontinued but has support pledged for another 5 years - Quality that they do this for a $100 product and a reason why Apple maintain customer loyalty

Let’s see what Bose do - still no possible model list or release insightful for Airplay 2

But a mysterious new product and eco system announced - Bose Home and Bose Music - with no mention of SoundTouch

Threads being closed down quoting mis-information, whilst Bose refuse to provide any meaningful formal information or release plan

Bose have known for at least 4 years how important Apple users are to their Bose Audio - Sound Touch ecosystem - Which I am certain is by far the largest market - We were promised Airplay 1, Apple Music, AirPlay 2 support for many devices over the years - All very haphazard and disjointed with promises of more features coming soon... 4 years later....

I really am unsure if Bose really cares about its customers and eco system anymore

Have they stopped putting customers first? Are they the equivalent to Nokia or Blackberry in the audio world... Do they have a future or a strategy to differentiate ?? Bose Home and Bose Music vs Apple HomePod and Apple Music, Alexa and Google voice integration, when I guess 70%+ of the customer base are Apple and Siri users

A great history of hardware design and a war chest of Intelectual Property, whilst never really having been able to deliver modern software with leading functionality and agile app delivery to ever frustrated customers

Let’s see how interesting this gets...
Highlighted
mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

I am starting to think that Bose does not want repeat customers. They price thier products so high and once you have it don't expect them ever to give you and update for it. You need to buy a new one. 

I started buying homepods from Apple. Thats 4 sales so far Bose has lost. 

Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Andy_K wrote:
Apple has been kind enough to release a firmware update for their Airport Express to make it Airplay 2 compatible

https://www.cultofmac.com/572373/apple-airport-express-airplay-2-support-firmware-upgrade/

A product that was released over 5 years ago in 2013 that was recently discontinued but has support pledged for another 5 years - Quality that they do this for a $100 product and a reason why Apple maintain customer loyalty

After reading this post I immediately went to my Mac, launched Airport utility and there they were, two Airport Express icons ready to be updated. One click on each - updated! Then on to my iPad Pro to see if it could recognize the AE routers as AirPlay 2 speakers - voila! The AE routers were now listed with check circles along with my new Apple TV v4. My older Apple TVs don’t appear to be AirPlay 2 ready. 

Back to the Airport Express routers. All working fine. I can now deploy multiroom control of those devices, plugged into the back of my Sound Touch 30s, from my iPad. Not a huge gain for me as I had multiroom control from my Mac for some time and more recently via the AUX ports on the SoundTouch speakers using the SoundTouch software.

Let’s see what Bose do - still no possible model list or release insightful for Airplay 2

Bose has promised AirPlay 2 on it now legacy SoundTouch gear and I expect they will deliver. I suspect this is going to be combined with Siri support.  In the meantime seems my choice to go with Airport Express to get Apple Music over AirPlay remains a sound one. 

But a mysterious new product and eco system announced - Bose Home and Bose Music - with no mention of SoundTouch

Definately too bad Bose Home and Music isn’t available on legacy SoundTouch speakers, that would have been really nice but that is how consumer tech goes. Apple did exactly the same thing with its line of routers. They are discontinued in favour of Home Pod and AppleTV all tied together with AirPlay 2 and HomeKit. 

Let’s see how interesting this gets...

Indeed, lots of coolness to look forward too!

Highlighted
Jereld
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 24, 2016

For those who are following this thread, but haven't seen the product announcement, I recommend you head over to the official product announcement community post:

https://community.bose.com/t5/New-Products-and-Announcements/Product-Announcement-Bose-Smart-Speaker...

Like many of you, I am not happy with how this is being handled, and I am hoping that the overwhelmingly negative feedback will reach the ears of someone who knows what they are doing over at Bose.

Highlighted
Andy_K
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 27, 2015

And just as we have new Bose kit - Sonos take it all to a completely different level

New Connect amp, which will replace my SA4 and SA5 set-up If Bose do not deliver Airplay 2 soon...

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/29/sonos-launches-new-sonos-amp/
Highlighted
Jereld
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 24, 2016

Wow @Andy_K, I especially like the bit about Sonos opening up their platform to enable more API integrations!

Highlighted
Andy_K
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 27, 2015

I agree - Whilst I do not own any Sonos equipment so far the approach to:
1. Apple partnership and eco system
2. Third Party app and hardware integration
3. Eagerness to communicate and support customers
4. Core App, software functionality and stability

Vs Bose, who “may” have an edge on Audio quality perception

I honestly think that Amar Bose is turning in his grave on what is happening to his creation and values
Highlighted
DavidKovanen
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

The fact that this is a new “Family” and not a line extension of the SoundTouch family would certainly imply that the SoundTouch line is at end of life. Why else wouldn’t they be part of the whole existing ecosystem?

Splitting and ecosystem and having incompatible groups of speakers certainly isn’t to anybody’s advantage. The only reason I can think of is that the SoundTouch software and architecture is exhausted and they need to cut loose from it.

Darn. I just bought into SoundTouch pretty heavily.