Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

There is an option in the settings of the soundtouch app that allows you to configure the auxiliary port and how it is synchronized with the rest of the equipment, for music works perfect, I have not tried it in movies and series since I have the soundtouch 300 with the sub low and the invisible 300 connected to the TV by HDMI ARC so I do not need to add more speakers to that configuration. This signal was tested in the soundtouch 20 and 30 series iii in addition to 2 soundtouch 300, always with music works perfect. Regarding what you point out, I have a homepod airport express apple tv 4 and 4k where in addition to having the soundtouch system I have the option to use airplay 2, both separately or together when I use the soundtouch 30 via airport express and rebroadcasting via bose soundtouch app, if I compare both the apple has a delay in music and the bose no, maybe you have not tried touching that configuration which would solve the problem.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

I decided to test all my speakers, both Apple and Bose, to see how multiroom ran using SoundTouch and AirPlay 2. The hardware combinations I have are as follows:

2 SoundTouch 30s with Airport Express

1 Cinemate 130 with SoundTouch adaptor(BlueTooth) and Apple TV v3

1 Solo with Apple TV v3

1 Solo 15 with Apple TV v3

1 24 in TV (kitchen) with ATV v4

I tried a variety of combinations including individually targeting the speakers, using  Bose Play All and AirPlay 2 on my iPad and on my iMac, with the help of Airport Express routers and Apple TVs. I was able to view all the speakers from both my iMac and iPad in the SoundTouch app, iTunes app(Mac) and iPad music control panel.

There were so many combinations available, after a while my head and ears started to spin. 

Impression

After playing with a combination of speakers it seems to me only the iMac and Apple TVs were out of sync in some circumstances. The iPad did not play sound when other speakers were activated. As a result I could not tell if there was a lag between the iPad and the speakers 

In all cases the Bose SoundTouch speakers were in sync with each other, that includes in play all and non play all mode using SoundTouch(vtuner) and AUX using Airport Express(Apple Music) controlled by the iPad and the iMac.

The Bose speakers using Apple TV and the Kitchen speaker using Apple TV4 were slightly out of sync with the iMac playing through iTunes. There was a noticable lag between the iMac and with the Airport Express routers when SoundTouch was in Play All playing iTunes. The lag was minimalized when the SoundTouch speakers played independently in iTunes

The ATV v4 kept calling for security codes and key chain access. That was remedied by pressing the “always allow button”. 

The older ATVs did not play well with AirPlay 2 on the iPad in multi-room mode. They just shut off, sometimes taking down the other ATV and AE speakers, especially if tried to mix the Airport Express speakers with ATV speakers. Guess this was to be expected as the older ATVs are not AirPlay 2 ready.

I could stream to a single older ATV using the iPad and of course the iMac. 

I could also stream to the updated Airport Expresses and ATVv4 together using the iPad.

The iMac still did a better job of streaming Apple Music to the Airport Express routers and ATVs, all versions and combinations.

Conclusion 

The Bose SoundTouch app and speakers were rock solid when SoundTouch was used in play all and single room modes.

The Mac OS also implemented the multiroom fairly well.  MacOS could stream to the AE routers and all versions of Apple TV simultaneously. There was a noticable lag with the iMac speakers and the SoundTouch Speakers in play all. When the SoundTouch speakers played independentally as selected in iTunes, they were in sync. 

The iOS AirPlay 2 app played well with all the updated Airport Express routers and newer Apple TVs. But could only stream to the older ATVs one at a time. 

It wasn’t too many years ago when my streaming setup consisted of a single iMac running iTunes, an Airport Express and a simple stereo receiver. Now I am able to stream music all around the house using my iMac or iPad and some really good sounding Bose speakers in a variety of configurations. 

Very satisfied!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 1, 2018

The problem with Bose is they aren't transparent about the updates and with the launch of the new Smart Speakers, it's clear that they don't have a strategic roadmap for wireless home systems. It's clear in this comparison map they provided where the new speakers don't talk to the SoundTouch line.

I purchased a SoundTouch 30 at launch and I love the sound but since then no real fix to the Airplay issue and no integration of Apple Music. I'm thankful I didn't invest in the SoundTouch line because if I did I would have an entire system that is most likely being discontinued soon and probably won't receive updates moving forward. 

I have yet to compare a comparable Sonos speaker to my Bose SoundTouch, but at least they have committed to the compatibility of past models to continue to work in a multi-room setting. 

I've been a lifetime and loyal Bose customer and not angry as much as disappointed that they can't seem to get it together from a technology standpoint.BoseProductComparison.png

Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 9, 2017

Sorry Bose, but I couldn’t wait any longer.  I sold my SoundTouch 300 while it still was worth anything. If airplay 2 ever comes to it, then good for the new owner.

Now on to other brands....

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 9, 2017

I sold mine as well for the same reason. I think Bose botched it with the lack of transparency.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 3, 2018

Disappointed. I’ve bought all my Soundtouch serie II even after launch of serie III, as the serie II was Airplay certified and the serie III wasn’t. I have 4 of them, (one ST30 and three ST20). Now, Bose announces that only serie III will have airplay 2 compatibility (somewhere in 2019). I think I’ll do as many already and sell my Bose material and move to another brand. If Bose think not updating to Airplay 2 not so old speakers will help selling new ones, Bose is wrong. We invested for evolutive speakers (old ones playing with new ones) and not for renewing (all) our speakers. After 38000 reads in this topic, Bose is not understanding the needs and expectations of the customers. Sonos did. A matter of confidence, which is broken. Disappointed, yeap.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 30, 2018

I gave up as well. Just bought two Apple HomePods. After I purchased the first, I had to buy a second. I love the pairing option for stereo sound. No more lagging and cutting out that constantly plagued my SoundTouch II with AirPlay 1. And the sound quality is fantastic.

Bose, I’m sorry to say after using your products for 15 years, I am no longer one of your customers.
Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jul 8, 2017

Bello Joel_D,

When can we expect the update release for Airplay 2 to the existing SoundTouch products, like the SoundTouch 300?

I’m waiting for it a long time now.

Kind regards,

Levi
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi leviverhoeven,

We've received confirmation from development that Airplay 2 will be coming sometime in 2019. It will be for the Soundtouch systems that have Bluetooth capabilities and as well as our new Smart Home products.

Best Regards,

Joel 

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jul 8, 2017

Hello Joel_D,

Thank you for your reply!

Will you inform me in 2019 when the update will be released?

And will the Google Play Music integration in the Bose SoundTouch be a possibility?

Kind regards,

Levi