Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

Hi Levi,

You're very welcome!

I would suggest to keep an eye out on the community here for future updates.

As for Google Play Music integration, there have been no updates on if this will be added as a source. I will pass this idea along to development for you.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 12, 2016

What does "sometime in 2019 " exactly mean? is it like early 2019 or in December 31 2019?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2018

My guess is that it means exactly what it says. Just hold tight and wait until next year when they’ll be more information followed by a firmware update.

Don’t be expecting something imminently after the new year.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

It means December 62, 2019 or earier.

Usually when a company states sometime before the next year it means they are expecting it in the second HALF of the year and not before.

Company code-words usually go like this:

• Early 2019: March-May
  • Mid-2019: Summer months through about September.
  • First half of 2019: Before July 4, 2019.
  • Late 2019: Fall of 2019.
  • Sometime in 2019: It hasn't been scheduled yet, it hasn't been started, but it is on the 2019 development list and we will try to fit it in, but it could always spill over into the next year.

The above list is not a joke. It is usually what the code words mean.

Note that the code word "available" may mean in Beta testing, or with limited functionality or for only certain models, etc. The word "available" doesn't commit to full functionality or a full release.

The code word for a full function release will be words like: "Full support for XXXX is expected in" or "Release" or "Shipping".

So what Bose is committing to is a best effort to work it into their 2019 development goals, sometime, and even they probably don't yet know. It will probably happen only after they develop other products.

From all of the signals I have read, they are developing the Bose Home product line on a priority basis, and it is prempting other development efforts. This is a new code base and a new product line for them, and all of their resources are dedicated to this product.

Then, once they have completed this (including Apple AirPlay 2) they will look at the code that they have developed and see if it will directly port back onto the SoundTouch hardware. If it does, then it will be easy to bring SoundTouch products up to the Bose Home software functionality. But if the software is too large or doesn't fit into the SoundTouch hardware they will probably need to butcher the Bose Home libraries to wedge them into the (now mature) SoundTouch code base. They will make it work, but then th SoundTouch products will be declared to be at "End of Life" and they have fulfilled their obligation.

I have no inside track here. But I believe the above is what they are trying to sinal, but of course cannot at this point directly say. I've worked with product development enough that it is a well educated guess.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

I agree with DavidKovanen. I also worked a lot with product development in others areas and they all use the same language.

I would not expect anything related to Airplay 2 for SoundTouch Systems prior end of Q3/19.
Participant
Registered since

Jul 8, 2017

Nu Joel_D,

Thank you!

I should say Google Play Music integration in the SoundTouch app is not a complex update. Other services like Spotify are already integrated. Thank you for passing this idea to the Bose Development team!

Kind regards,

Levi
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

Hi Joel_D,

I am about to launch into music streaming for the first time and have an existing but old Bose Wave AWRC3P which I want (maybe wanted depending on your answer!) to use in addition to purchasing a Soundtouch 10 or 20.  I was then looking at getting a Soundtouch wireless link adaptor to stream the music held in iTunes on my Mac to either, or both of these speaker set ups, in different rooms.

However, a lot has been said in the 20 pages of chat on here and my head had dropped thinking this would not work but then I saw your 11-08-2018 post 'that Airplay 2 will be coming sometime in 2019. It will be for the Soundtouch systems that have Bluetooth capabilities and as well as our new Smart Home products.'  My first frustration was that although I liked the Home Speaker 500 it was not compatible with Soundtouch, meaning I couldn't go down the wireless adaptor route described, hence I turned to the 10 or 20 but I would ask you to clarify whether my proposed system would work with Airplay 2 when it does come in please, or indeed if you have any other configuration ideas enabling me to continue to make use of the Wave.  Is the wireless adaptor up to handlig Airplay 2?

I have looked at Sonos and the good thing is that they would work now with the music on my Mac and their App is very good but the Bose sound is superior and if possible , I would like to pursue that route.  Hope you can help.  First post on here, thank you.

Kind regards

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

IMHO Bose will not be developing any further enhancements to the SoundTouch range.

They are now pushing a new non-compatible home streaming device, it will take all their resources to develop/support that in a timely manner if the last 3 yrs of SoundTouch support and updates is anything to go by.

Accept that SoundTouch is what it is, nothing more...

Just look at how many promises made by Bose over the last 3 yrs have come to fruition, close to zero....

Move on now before you spend big on soon to be discontinued/archived product.

Many of us here are tied into this system that doesn’t work with no options to get out. 

Would stongly advise you to not get into the same situation...

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

Many thanks for your comments ST30, I do appreciate them and await BOSE's comments before plunging one way or the other...I am nervous, hence the post.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

Anyone at BOSE able to respond to my query of a few days ago please, thank you.