sam234
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

My apologies DavidKovanen. I thought I was replying to a different post by a different person.
Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

There is such a thing as false advertising.  Maybe it could be argued that owners of SoundTouch equipment purchased prior to the Airplay 2 announcement technically have no right to complain.  Plenty of people have purchased SoundTouch equipment after the announcement and during this period of repeated assurances by Bose that despite all appearances to the contrary, Airplay 2 really is coming.  Bose continues to sell new SoundTouch units under these conditions to this very moment, and by reading customer accounts here in this forum, Bose's salespeople in their stores use Airplay 2's pending arrival as a selling point.  I'd say customers who have purchased after the announcement have every right to expect Airplay 2 and have every right to complain if it doesn't materialize in a reasonable amount of time.  

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@sam234 wrote:
"Are you sure you’re not a Bose rep? Because to me you sound like someone working for Bose posing as a customer in an attempt to put out a fire."

No, if I worked for Bose as a manager I would be highly angry and livid at the lethargic engineering department that has failed tyo deliver AirPlay on a timely basis. I would be even more livid at the marketing department for not communicating better and for not managing customer expectations. The poor communications and lack of timely delivery of this feature is a complete faiulure of the organization, justifyable only if all of the key engineers that worked on the SoundTouch product simply quit and took their notes with them.

I can’t complain too much about Airplay integration. I dove back into the SoundTouch series 3 after trying other products for a while, including a ST30 series 1. The Airplay didn’t work very well back then. I was never really happy about the sound with the other products. I even sold my aging 5.1 gear and bought a Cinemate 130 with SoundTouch for home theater. I decided to use Airport Express and Apple TV to bring Airplay to my Bose gear and have been very happy with the solution ever since. 

Built in Airplay will be really nice, for the reasons I have stated.  When and if the standard arrives for SoundTouch it will be a very good enhancement.

SoundTouch and Cinemate has served me well, I have extracted every bit of life and usability out of the lines which says something about Bose products. I am not a Bose employee, never have been. Just an audio enthusiast. My posts are intended to share information I hope others will find useful. 

@DavidKovanen sums it up well. No sense getting twisted about what is perceived to be poor corporate decisions. Don’t get me started about Apple dropping 3.5mm port and wifi networking!

vandrew
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2015

As expected ST range has been forgotten with empty promises from a company that cannot deliver. Replies from Bose in this forums are just prove that it has decived its customers. 

@rickatk wrote:
@sam234 wrote:
"Are you sure you’re not a Bose rep? Because to me you sound like someone working for Bose posing as a customer in an attempt to put out a fire."

No, if I worked for Bose as a manager I would be highly angry and livid at the lethargic engineering department that has failed tyo deliver AirPlay on a timely basis. I would be even more livid at the marketing department for not communicating better and for not managing customer expectations. The poor communications and lack of timely delivery of this feature is a complete faiulure of the organization, justifyable only if all of the key engineers that worked on the SoundTouch product simply quit and took their notes with them.

I can’t complain too much about Airplay integration. I dove back into the SoundTouch series 3 after trying other products for a while, including a ST30 series 1. The Airplay didn’t work very well back then. I was never really happy about the sound with the other products. I even sold my aging 5.1 gear and bought a Cinemate 130 with SoundTouch for home theater. I decided to use Airport Express and Apple TV to bring Airplay to my Bose gear and have been very happy with the solution ever since. 

Built in Airplay will be really nice, for the reasons I have stated.  When and if the standard arrives for SoundTouch it will be a very good enhancement.

SoundTouch and Cinemate has served me well, I have extracted every bit of life and usability out of the lines which says something about Bose products. I am not a Bose employee, never have been. Just an audio enthusiast. My posts are intended to share information I hope others will find useful. 

@DavidKovanen sums it up well. No sense getting twisted about what is perceived to be poor corporate decisions. Don’t get me started about Apple dropping 3.5mm port and wifi networking!

Plasmanut
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

I can see both sides of this. Obviously, overreacting to something that moderators or users of the forum can’t control can be perceived as counterproductive. At the same time, posting discontent also serves the purpose of educating potential customers about Bose’s apparent inability to adhere to reasonable timelines and it will hopefully provide the impetus for Bose to act quickly. They said early 2019 and it’s no longer early which doesn’t sit well with me. 

DavidKovanen
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

"We have prioritized AirPlay 2 for future inclusion into many of our SoundTouch systems via software update. We are working on the technical evaluation of AirPlay 2 and cannot provide schedule details at this time, but we are aiming for later this year." (Originally pubhliched June 27, 2017, then updated June 25, 2018)

Bose SoundTouch AirPlay 2 official announcement

DavidKovanen
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

I sent a private message to Jason G at Bose as follows:

On June 27, 2017 you announced availability of Apple AirPlay 2 for the SoundTouch product line. On June 25, 2018 (more than a year later) you suggested availability of AirPlay 2 for the SoundTouch line by the end of this (2018) year. (See: Bose Official Airplay 2 Announcement)

We are now well into 2019.

I have been both polite and patient on this issue. I have been supportive of Bose products for more than 45 years. In forum postings on this topic I have encouraged that users be patient and reasonable.

The silence and lack of apparent action on the part of Bose is becomingly increasingly untennable. Like so many others, I am frustrated by both the lack of having this feature and by the complete lack of communications.

Considering that it has been close to two years since the announcement and that the expectation was set for feature delivery by the end of 2018, I think it is appropriate to provide some clarity of what is going on and what may be expected.

Highlighted
spudohio
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

I called yesterday and spoke with a Bose representative on their 800 number. According to him, AirPlay integration for my SoundTouch 300 soundbar was being viewed as a “potential future enhancement” which was “not guaranteed.” His suggestion was for me to “upgrade” to the Soundbar 500 out of my own pocket. 

I’m not sure if this was a case of a Bose rep giving bad information or if the admins on these forums have been over-promising. If I decide to upgrade, I seriously doubt it would be for another Bose product after this fiasco. 

Peter143
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 23, 2017

This is not was has been repeated said since 2017, and personally I will be more than annoyed.  As others have said, Bose appear to be doing everything possible to lose customers, personally I will never by one of the new systems as I will not have anything Alexa in the house, or google for that matter.  If this is true then I have been miss sold

Robanderson 249
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

They won’t reply, they have no regard to us peasant customers. It’s just like the government. They take your money and don’t care what you have to say. B**e (I’ve had to use asterisks as the “B” word is offensive) are the same as politicians, they take your money and screw you over.