Mathaka
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 11, 2019

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

This Week Ikea has released their Sonos Speakers ... they are affordable and support Airpay 2 ... Bye Bye Bose - time to move on. 

Maes33
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Cmon Bose wake up already on this. Getting frustrated 

Dwenson
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 29, 2017

I already gave up on Bose. They officially annouced that Soundtouch will support Airplay and 3 years later (and new generation of network speakers released), there is no sign that it will have it. All I read are generic promises and excuses from the moderators and sales people.

Hopefully, you all moved on and invest on new brand with excellent software and customer support. Bose was preceded with their old reputation that the company became so complacent, now they just focus on  advertising and ignores their customers.

Plasmanut
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Bose announced another new portable Bluetooth speaker which supports AirPlay2 today. Meanwhile, we are still in the outside looking in. 

Teinho95
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 23, 2019

Airplay 2 Soundtouch 300

I know there are others topics about it, but im frustated about it. it's since 2 years ago Bose promised the Airplay 2 on Soundtouch 300 and still I read.... "we are working on it" or "we will let you know as soon as possible". Now I'm asking to some Bose developer, is it coming for real or is just a joke?

Highlighted
mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

Re: Airplay 2 Soundtouch 300

I am sorry to say it is a joke. The only answer you will ever get from Bose on this board is we are sorry you are having an issue. Did you reset your device? Or thats a great sugestion and we will notify them developers of your request. 

If you really want a device with airplay 2 I am pretty sure you are going to have to but new Bose hardware. The only thing new that I have ever seen come to soundtouch is a clock on the display. I don't think there is any one at this company any more that really cares about any thing other than selling new hardware. 

My advice to you is after years of saying they will do it it is time to realize it is not going to happen. Buyt they will make nice new products that have it. So they know how to do it when it benefits Bose. But not when it would benefit the Bose Customer. 

I can say that I have started selling off the Bose equipment I have and I am replacing it with homepods and sonos. Only wish I had never bought Bose in the first place. But it relly is nice to have equipment that does what I want it to.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Life is too short to be frustrated over such as this.  I think it is quite possible Bose will never be able to add Apple Airplay 2 to their line of Soundtouch devices.  So, I suggest people find another solution that works for them.  In my case, I bought an Apple TV 4K that has Airplay 2.  I rarely use Airplay, but it is there for streaming Spotify if I want.  The Apple TV 4K has an Apple Music and Tidal app included.

If this solution does not work for someone, I would sell my Bose Soundtouch equipment and purchase something that has all the features I want and/or need.  Personally, I am starting to think about buying an entire new music system including streamer, DAC, amp, receiver, and speakers.  Another option would be to purchase a soundbar system, Bose or otherwise, that has what I want and/or need.

EDIT:  Just to add, not everyone wants or needs Airplay.  Therefore, your Bose Soundtouch equipment might be worth more to someone on eBay than it is to you.

Robanderson 249
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

I’ve had a play with the ikea ones and the product along with the interface is pretty impressive. That’s certainly made my mind up. I wouldn’t go with Bose again on principle.

I was was invited to give feedback on the Bose website. I gave an honest review of the service I thought that I had received. I then got a message back saying that I had been taken down as it didn’t meet their criteria. Typical Bose, only want people to tell them they’re great. That’s not how you build brand loyalty. Bose, it’s getting embarrassing now. 

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@jimgfitz wrote:

Life is too short to be frustrated over such as this...

I agree. The whole Airplay 2 for SoundTouch rollout has not been stellar for Bose. Coupled with the new Smart Home line that is not backwards compatible make for decisions that do make the manufacture be insensitive to their loyal customer’s pocket book.

Unfortunately Bose is not the only company that carries out these practices and sometimes they have no choice. The upgrades can be so considerable that the software just can’t keep up.

I have always practiced “buy for the present”. I for one remain very happy with the SoundTouch line. My gear is serving me well and has given me listening pleasure and functionality for the foreseeable future. In addition to minor updates Bose has added customizable URLs for the radio section, more services such as Radioplayer and still has very good multiroom sound. I think better than Airplay 2.

Over the years I have bought and sold audio gear, sometimes only months after purchase, in search of that right combination of good sound and features. I went through a slew of products to land on a good wireless internet speaker system. Trialling Bose SoundTouch (series 1) and B and W which both had Airplay built in incidentally, that didn’t work so well. I also tried some mini receivers by Denon and Yamaha and powered speakers like AudioEngine all supplemented with an AirPort Express for Airplay. When I came back to SoundTouch (series 3) I coupled the speakers with AirPort Express. Apple Music was just launching. 

Going forward I have a number of SoundTouch speakers. Fortunately I had already acquired Airport Express routers and that combination works very well. Built in Airplay 2 would be nice. But I am not going to lose sleep over the lack of the feature. Likewise I would like to see an upgrade patch that is backwards compatible to SoundTouch but that likely won’t happen. So I am going to be happy with what I have... a very good, moderately priced multiroom speaker system that has proven to be as functional as it is good sounding.

Apple TV and Airplay functionality is a good solution for AV sound bars like the 300 and 700 line. But for SoundTouch I recommend hunting down an AirPort Express, they are still around. Or sell your SoundTouch gear and move up to the Bose Smart Home line or move on to another brand if Airplay 2 is that necessary.

Azzaman
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 16, 2018

Just wondering if the moderators can chime in again to reassume the BOSE Community that it's still in the pipeline that the Soundtouch lineup will get Airplay 2. I am looking into purchasing a second hand Airport Express but will hold off if the ST line will be updated at "some point". 

Thanks