Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

Joel:

I have a SoundTouch adaptor (rectangular)  that happends to have Bluetooth along with SoundTouch. Do you know if that will accomodate Airplay 2.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

>Thank you for your recent updates @Joel_D and providing as much information as you currently have.  I'm sure they'll be some exiting news to come next year

I am thinking along these lines as well. The SoundTouch architecture, in consumer tech year's, is getting on. I wasn't entirely surprised to see this announcement and understand that in order to move forward with newer technologies, sometimes the older architecture has to be left behind. At least with SoundTouch, Bose has committed to backwards Airplay 2 compatibilty, for models with BlueTooth.

Indeed the Airplay 2 rollout has been slow but heck, I just upgraded my Apple AirPort Express routers to Airplay 2 yesterday, as that is when Apple finally released the firmware upgrade. In fact, using Airport Express and SoundTouch's built in AUX redirect feature, I have been streaming Apple Music to my SoundTouch speakers around the house for a few months now - well ahead of Airplay 2. 

Moving forward... the new line up looks interesting as the first Bose smart speaker products with built in voice commands via Alexa. I have to wonder if one of the reasons there is going to be a further delay of Airplay 2 is because we may see a Siri option on the Bose Smart Speaker line up in due course. The 500 and 700 speakers are good entrants into the smart speaker realm. I am sure they will perform every bit as well as the competition (Sonos Beam) and likely exceed in sound quality.

I was particularily happy to see that presets have remained. While this seems redundant for voice controlled systems, still nice to see the feature remain. I was also happy to see there is still a 3.5mm port, albeit both features will some day really become unecessary.

The new Bose Music App looks promising as well and I like the overall streamlining of the product model names. Smart Speakers, SoundBars, Music App and Bose Home all seems to describe the line nicely. I was never a fan of "SoundTouch." The term never resonated with me and seemed a little unconventional. The newer naming scheme seems more in keeping with a modern product line.

I wont be making any purchases for a while yet. I am firmly in the 2015 era with SoundTouch, Airport Express, 1080p and all. Certainly when it is time to upgrade I am sure Bose will continue to interest me.

Sound Touch 30 x2

Cinemate 130 (with SoundTouch Adaptor)

Solo 10 and 15

A bunch of AirPort Express's and Apple TVs.

Companion 20 speakers

IE2 earbuds

Bose Bluetooth Headset Series 2(collecting dust because of Siri Handsfree in my truck)

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 22, 2018

Ok, that sounds like the first bit of *solid* info. So my 2 x Soundtouch wireless link adapters, my SA-5 amp, and my Soundtouch 300 soundbar all have Bluetooth so they’ll get Airplay 2...eventually. I’m not sure I’m yet convinced enough to invest in more Bose gear though. I need 2 more soundbars and the 500 and 700 might fit the bill, but I’m not buying until you actually make Airplay 2 happen. 

Any idea how the new Soundbars will play with Soundtouch systems? On one app? 

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Aug 16, 2016

@paulbarry101

>> Any idea how the new Soundbars will play with Soundtouch systems? On one app? <<

They won‘t play with SoundTouch systems at all...for now. When all speakers are updated and Airplay2 enabled they might work together again, but not via the ST app.
regards
Ingmar
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

There is no multiroom option between SoundTouch and Bosé Home. I think you should buy another SoundTouch300. On the other hand I tell you that I have besides 2 SoundTouch 300 a SoundTouch 30 another SoundTouch 20 after the last update sent to me from Bosé the multiroom works excellent without cuts and the Bosé system has no lag. I also have a Homepod and the SoundTouch 30 connected to the airport express now with AirPlay 2 and the synchronization with AirPlay 2 in the multiroom from Apple is not perfect it has a small lag, instead when using AirPlay 2 in the SoundTouch 30 and then multiroom using the system of Bosé SoundTouch works great with zero lag, I think that even the Apple AirPlay 2 system needs to improve over time, but now the multiroom from bose works better in terms of lag.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@gonzalohb wrote:

There is no multiroom option between SoundTouch and Bosé Home. I think you should buy another SoundTouch300. On the other hand I tell you that I have besides 2 SoundTouch 300 a SoundTouch 30 another SoundTouch 20 after the last update sent to me from Bosé the multiroom works excellent without cuts and the Bosé system has no lag. I also have a Homepod and the SoundTouch 30 connected to the airport express now with AirPlay 2 and the synchronization with AirPlay 2 in the multiroom from Apple is not perfect it has a small lag, instead when using AirPlay 2 in the SoundTouch 30 and then multiroom using the system of Bosé SoundTouch works great with zero lag, I think that even the Apple AirPlay 2 system needs to improve over time, but now the multiroom from bose works better in terms of lag.

I agree: If you are considering adding more speakers to your present setup, go with SoundTouch. Multiroom is working very well. If you already have an Airport Express you can play Apple Music via AUX redirect to all your SoundTouch speakers simultaneously with individual volume control. This all works very well.

With AirPlay 2, your firmware upgraded Airport Express, HomePod and an Apple TV v4, plugged into a SoundTouch 300, all speakers will be seen as AirPlay 2 speakers either from your Mac or iPad.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

@paulbarry101

For which purpose you want to buy the soundbars? I would recommend you buy a further ST 300 instead. All works together! Or wait for another ST product which might come.
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

@rickatk wrote:  With AirPlay 2, your firmware upgraded Airport Express, HomePod and an Apple TV v4, plugged into a SoundTouch 300, all speakers will be seen as AirPlay 2 speakers either from your Mac or iPad.

That's exactly what I'm testing and when I compare the airplay 2 with the bose system, the bose multirrom system is much better, im explain, I currently have 2 soundtouch 300 connected to an apple tv 4 and another to an apple tv 4k, a homepod and the soundtouch 30 with airport express with airplay 2 , and when I use them with the airplay 2 protocol, there is a delay that is very noticeable between one speaker and another, while when connected using the bose multiroom system everything synchronized and works like a charm.

The best combination that I found is use airplay 2 on the soundtouch 30 via aux port whit the airport express and then I do the broadcast with the soundtouch app to the rest of the speakers and it works great, but the homepod is out of the system. If Apple does not improve this delay between the speakers, it will not help anything that Bose incorporates Airplay 2 since its own system is currently better in this regard. I hope to help the rest of the community with these tests.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@gonzalohb wrote:

>The best combination that I found is use airplay 2 on the soundtouch 30 via aux port whit the airport express and then I do the broadcast with the soundtouch app to the rest of the speakers and it works great, but the homepod is out of the system. If Apple does not improve this delay between the speakers, it will not help anything that Bose incorporates Airplay 2 since its own system is currently better in this regard. I hope to help the rest of the community with these tests.

Well put... presently I engage multiroom using the SoundTouch app for my VTuner selection and AUX rebroadcast for Apple Music. The stream is very tight with no lag between rooms. It all really does work well and sounds quite nice! 

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

If you guys aren't aware of it already, know that on the SoundTouch 10, 20 and 30, there's a delay using the Aux port no matter what audio source you have connected to it.  Not sure about the various SoundTouch sound bars and any aux inputs they have.  But in any case for sure if you have an Airport

Express connected to a SoundTouch 30 and are trying to use AirPlay 2 to sync audio from the Airport Express with a native AirPlay 2 device like a HomePod, they won't be in sync.