Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 31, 2016

Re: Airplay 2 on SoundTouch Speakers Update

I bought Wave Soundtouch IV a couple years ago, and honestly I didn't expect it to support Airplay 2.

All I hoped was Apple Music.

Now I'm so happy, and I'll keeping hoping on Apple Music.

Thank you Bose!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 30, 2017

I'm curious as to how this will work - I notice that the SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter isn't on this list.  Will I be able to use Airplay to send something from my phone to one supported speaker, then in the SoundTouch app, add the Link and whatever other speakers I want to the group?  Or will SoundTouch grouping and AirPlay 2 grouping have to be separate? 

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2016

The Wireless Link Adapter actually has Bluetooth, just saying.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 22, 2019

Finally some progress on this. Hope that the timelines are not pushed out.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

I would prefer for them to release it and prove that this is not just another broken promise. I can live with the updates afterwards. In fact, things normally get tested properly and resolved quicker when it is released on a bigger scale. Feedback from consumers give you a better idea of how it works in varying situations. Let’s get it out there, we’ve waited long enough. 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

@go_phish wrote:

I'm curious as to how this will work - I notice that the SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter isn't on this list.  Will I be able to use Airplay to send something from my phone to one supported speaker, then in the SoundTouch app, add the Link and whatever other speakers I want to the group?  Or will SoundTouch grouping and AirPlay 2 grouping have to be separate? 

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having AirPlay2? I'm looking forward to bypassing the SoundTouch app altogether and control volume and groupings through the built-in AirPlay 2 functionality through iOS. It should allow us to select speakers (rooms). It also allows for the creation of stereo pairs - I've seen a demo of this using Apple HomePods). 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 10, 2017

Whoop whoop!  Fingers crossed 🙂

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 30, 2017

@Plasmanut wrote:

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having AirPlay2? I'm looking forward to bypassing the SoundTouch app altogether and control volume and groupings through the built-in AirPlay 2 functionality through iOS. It should allow us to select speakers (rooms). It also allows for the creation of stereo pairs - I've seen a demo of this using Apple HomePods). 

Using Airplay2 is still a benefit to me because if I'm playing music from my phone I don't have to worry as much about wandering too far from the speaker if I'm currently playing via bluetooth.  My wifi signal is pretty strong so Airplay works well.  

I'd love to be able to not use the app as well - at this point I'm just wondering how I can incorporate my Wireless Link Adapter since it's one of the main devices I use in a group (kitchen has a SoundTouch 20 and my outdoor speakers are via a Wireless Link Adapter, so I like being able to walk from outside to inside and hear the same thing)  

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 27, 2015

Continued disappointment for me with my multiple SA 4 set-up.

- Initially promised Apple Music support in store back in 2015

- Discontinued very quickly with continued promises of better / more Apple integration

- Listed in the initial Airplay 2 announcement as being planned for AirPlay 2 upgrade

- Later mentioned that this may not be the case due to Bluetooth compatibility for Bose / Airplay 2

- Finally clarified in this announcement that there is no intention

5 years of broken promises, lies and misrepresentation

Bose really do not care and my faith in their ability to do what they say and deliver anything at all is completely shot.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

I hear you, Andy_K. 

One of the big reasons I want Airplay 2 so badly is it seems blatantly obvious that Bose is allergic to paying any licensing fees for integrating music services or updating apps to integrate with those services (maybe both). 

Once I can see my speakers using Control Center in iOS, I don't care if they ever integrate with Aple Music, which something you unfortunately can't look forward to with your setup 😞