Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 14, 2016

Re: Airplay 2 on SoundTouch Speakers Update

Ok, so you‘re talking about the „SoundTouch® Series II wireless adapter“ that was meant to be connected to the CineMate system.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/products/bose_speakers_support/bose_smarthome_speakers_support/so...

I think most of us are revering to the „SoundTouch® Wireless Link Adapter“, the square black box that can be connected to anything with an audio-input.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/smart_home/soundtouch-adapter.html

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@GEORGzer wrote:

Ok, so you‘re talking about the „SoundTouch® Series II wireless adapter“ that was meant to be connected to the CineMate system.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/products/bose_speakers_support/bose_smarthome_speakers_support/so...

I think most of us are revering to the „SoundTouch® Wireless Link Adapter“, the square black box that can be connected to anything with an audio-input.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/smart_home/soundtouch-adapter.html

Qui: My experience has been with the SoundTouch adaptor for Cinemate 130 series speakers. The Wireless Link adaptor is more versatile and would be the quintessential device for adding SoundTouch, BlueTooth and Airplay to a whole array of audio devices.

The original Airplay announcements from Bose indicated any SoundTouch equipped device with BlueTooth would be Airplay upgradeable. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 27, 2019

So the SoundTouch Series II adapter was eventually bundled with:

CineMate 120

CineMate 130

CineMate 220

Which then became:

SoundTouch 120

SoundTouch 130

SoundTouch 220

There's also the SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter which is designed to give an existing stereo system SoundTouch capabilities.

So the question to Bose is, will the SoundTouch Series II adapter and the SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter be supported?

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 12, 2016

This is the third deadline given by Bose since 2017. If it is not available by feb end, would I be eligible for a refund for my product, since promises were not kept?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 11, 2019

Am I right in thinking that this will enable SoundTouch and Smart speakers to be linked to create multi room groups? If so this might be enough to persuade me to get the Soundbar 700 over the Sonos Playbar

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@CH080579 wrote:

Am I right in thinking that this will enable SoundTouch and Smart speakers to be linked to create multi room groups? If so this might be enough to persuade me to get the Soundbar 700 over the Sonos Playbar

What I see when I look at my Airplay control panel, while using Apple Music, Stingray or Amazon Music:

3 SoundTouch Speakers with AirPort Express attached

2 Solo speakers with Apple TV attached

1 Samsung TV (AirPlay built in)

1 Bose 300 speaker (AirPlay built in)

Each Airplay device name shows up in the Airplay control panel. I just make my selections in the Airplay control panel from the music app I am playing. As far as I can tell this does not allow SoundTouch or Bose Music to share their built in music services via Airplay. This is just for Airplay enabled apps over the Airplay network. So that means using an iOS or macOS device. The Bose speakers become Airplay clients.

I am not too sure how this will work on a PC or Android based device. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

OH MA LORD!!!! FINALLY!!!!!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 14, 2020

Hi, I just bought the SoundTouch SA-5 amplifier and I am very (very) disappointed about the situation of high latency over the AUX input (which I use with an airplay device). Unfortunately, I have heard this discussion from several forum posts and so far there is no solution offered by Bose. Will this be solved by the future integrated airplay? If not, I will send the amplifier back and decide for another solution.
Thnx, Thomas

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 15, 2020

Thank you for your update,  my concern is the soundtouch wireless link,  originally I did bought a couple of them with the promise of integrating my existing AVRs to my soundtouch ecosystem and get to stream my apple music library.  Could you please double check if this device will also get the update to enable airplay 2?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Wayne_M wrote:

Hey everyone,

We had every intention to release Airplay 2 in 2019 and we apologize it was not launched in this timeframe. Please be assured that we are still working very hard to bring Airplay 2 to SoundTouch speakers and appreciate your patience. We now expect it to be launched by the end of February 2020 for the following products:

• SoundTouch 10
  • SoundTouch 20 Series III
  • SoundTouch 30 Series III
  • Bose SoundTouch SA-5 Amplifier
  • Bose Wave SoundTouch Music System IV
  • SoundTouch 300 soundbar
  • Lifestyle 550 home entertainment system
  • Lifestyle 600 home entertainment system
  • Lifestyle 650 home entertainment system

Hi @Wayne_M 

Further to your welcomed announcement, can you confirm if the following Bose Bluetooth enabled devices will be included in the Airplay upgrade per the original notices:

SA-5 with SoundTouch

SoundTouch Wireless adaptor series 2(rectangle)

SoundTouch Wireless Link adaptor(square)