Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 1, 2016

Airplay 2 vs sound touch app

I need to be that guy for a minute. What am I missing in the benefits of using Airplay? 

With the soundtouch app, all my soundtouch 10 can be stereo pairs, my not airplay devices still sync, and most importantly, the music being played is not tied to my phone. I can pick up any device and change the music.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Airplay 2 vs sound touch app

@Itjunky wrote:

I need to be that guy for a minute. What am I missing in the benefits of using Airplay? 

With the soundtouch app, all my soundtouch 10 can be stereo pairs, my not airplay devices still sync, and most importantly, the music being played is not tied to my phone. I can pick up any device and change the music.

Good question. SoundTouch as a platform is quite capable of playing music services like Spotify and Tunein, which for many people is sufficient. There are many other people however who are looking for the ability to play one of their own music services like Apple Music over wifi. Enter Airplay. Unlike SoundTouch, Airplay offers a more open standard for users to connect a variety of music services and devices to SoundTouch gear over wifi. BlueTooth is seen as a lesser quality connection standard.