AbqMichaelJ
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

Airplay Failing each day

For the past several mornings, I have been unable to stream audio via AirPlay to my Wave SoundTouch speaker. Oddly, I can still use the remote to play the radio and even to stream from TuneIn. I also have a Soundbar 700, which works fine every day. 

The only way I've been getting it to work is to do a soft reset (pull plug, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in). Once it boots, it's fine all day. But power cycling each day is a drag because for one, the power plug is hard to reach and there's no front panel switch. Do I need to do a hard reset? Is there something wrong with my unit?

The reason I'm using AirPlay instead of TuneIn is that I want the music to stream throughout the house. I can't do that through the Bose apps because the Soundbar and Wave radio use two different apps. As such, the two speakers can't synchronize and the unsynchronized effect is awful. Airplay, on the other hand is terrific. It lets me play music from both Bose and non-Bose equipment and everything stays synchronized. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AbqMichaelJ
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

Re: Airplay Failing each day

Author Accepted Answer selected by AbqMichaelJ

By moving my Bose Wave and Portable around, I was able to determine that I was, indeed, having a problem with WiFi at that spot in the home. This was quite surprising as I have a 3 node EERO wifi network in my 1,200 sf house. Moving the closest EERO node 2 feet to the right of where it was cleared up my problem.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Vicky_W

Hello AbqMichaelJ, 

Welcome to the forums. 

I can understand why this is frustrating, let's get it fixed for you. 

We can start with the steps here

Let me know if you have any questions, no matter how small and let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
AbqMichaelJ
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

Sorry. That’s no use at all.

The instructions there infer that the problem is with my Apple device or my network. My problem is with the Bose Wave Radio. I have that, a Soundbar, a Portable Speaker and two apple airplay devices. I also have an iPad, an iPhone and an iMac. The Wave Radio is the only problem device.

When everything is working, I can connect any of my sources to any of my Bose products just fine. I find is that the Wave Radio works fine for 1 or 2 days and plays beautifully with everything else. Then, the next time I try it, the Wave Radio won’t work while all my other devices are working just fine. Then I unplug the Wave Radio, wait 3 seconds, plug it back in and it’s good to go for the day. Couple days later, rinse and repeat.

The problem is with the Wave Radio. The instructions above focus solely on all the other things that go wrong. It’s a classic “point fingers” article. 

Sam_F

I can understand your reasoning, AbqMichaelJ. Thank you for taking the time to read through the support page.

How far from your WiFi router do you have your Wave SoundTouch system located? Is this closer or further to the router than your other music systems in your home?

Also, have you been able to reboot your Wifi router? Just doing this once may have a positive effect on the systems and how Airplay operates. I'd recommend giving this a go - simply unplug the router from power for two minutes. Let me know if you notice any improvements!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
AbqMichaelJ
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

I power cycled all three 3 nodes of my EERO wifi system. I have 3 Bose devices. The problem one is 18 feet from one of the EERO nodes (with direct line of sight), the Soundbar is near an EERO node, Portable Speaker moves around, sometimes 18 feet and a wall away from the EERO base node and sometimes outside, a long way from the WiFi. I also have two original Apple Airports that I use regularly for AirPlay. (I no longer use them to extend the network.) The furthest is in the garage, 20 feet and two stucco walls away from the nearest EERO. The Wave Radio is the only AirPlay device giving me problems at all and it is loosing it almost daily.

Does the AirPlay have any means of updating the firmware? Does Bose do anything to address bugs on their products? Is there anything I can do with the actual Bose Wave other than power cycling it daily? 

AbqMichaelJ
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 15, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by AbqMichaelJ

By moving my Bose Wave and Portable around, I was able to determine that I was, indeed, having a problem with WiFi at that spot in the home. This was quite surprising as I have a 3 node EERO wifi network in my 1,200 sf house. Moving the closest EERO node 2 feet to the right of where it was cleared up my problem.  

View solution in original post

Vicky_W

@AbqMichaelJ, thanks for sharing, I am sure it will help others!