Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2018

Airplay with Airport Express

Hi all, 

Awaiting an Apple Music support from Bose, either with AirPlay nor with Apple Music integration inside Bose app, I’ve lost patience and get an Airport express, connected with mini-Jack to one of my SoundTouch speakers (AUX), so I can stream my music on others speakers by adding them inside Bose app. 

I’ve read that many users did so and I think this thread could help guiding on the best way when choosing this solution, by gathering all informations about how to do it.  

To me it’s not clear if one Airport is enough or maybe it’s better to use as many as speakers. Maybe there will be latency if doing so ? The advantage could also being able to stream different songs in different rooms using different Apple devices. It’s not a need to me yet.

Also, what’s the best about settings ? I mean what Volume should I set my Airplay (Airport Express) to get best results in quality ?

And, using a mini-Jack rather than direct Airplay doesn’t affect sound quality ? 

Many thanks for your answers and other tricks about helping making possible what Bose should have give us for long time...

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Airplay with Airport Express

@AK75 wrote:

Hi all, 

Awaiting an Apple Music support from Bose, either with AirPlay nor with Apple Music integration inside Bose app, I’ve lost patience and get an Airport express, connected with mini-Jack to one of my SoundTouch speakers (AUX), so I can stream my music on others speakers by adding them inside Bose app. 

Sorry for being a little late...I do have a few comments:

I’ve read that many users did so and I think this thread could help guiding on the best way when choosing this solution, by gathering all informations about how to do it.  

I have been using Airport Express for many years. Even before Airplay. I found the little device very helpful getting iTunes and now Apple Music to my speakers around the house.

Sound quality has alway been very good and the whole setup is quite convenient. For the longest time I used my iMac to control the music streams. Lately however I have been using my iPad to fire up Apple Music.

To me it’s not clear if one Airport is enough or maybe it’s better to use as many as speakers. Maybe there will be latency if doing so ? The advantage could also being able to stream different songs in different rooms using different Apple devices. It’s not a need to me yet.

Now a days one Airport Express is sufficient. Bose SoundTouch and Smart Home executes multi-room quite well. Of course you will require matching speakers from the respective platforms to work.

Airplay does a pretty good job with multiroom as well. But you need to ensure all your speakers are Airplay capable. That means either with Airplay baked in like Smart Home speakers, certain tv’s and receivers or devices like Airport Express and Apple TV.

I found Airplay, connecting with Airport Express over iOS takes a few attempts sometimes. While built in Airplay on Smart Home speakers and my Samsung TV connects first time. Connecting to Apple TV devices seems to work fine. Connecting using macOS also works fine.

One workaround is to connect via the sound control panel in iOS rather than from within the music app you are using.

Also, what’s the best about settings ? I mean what Volume should I set my Airplay (Airport Express) to get best results in quality ?

This is a very good question. Be careful with the volume settings when using Airplay. Airport Express seems to act as a buffer and is adjustable. Airplay on Smart Home speakers is much more sensitive.

Exercise care not to leave the volume tuned up in the Airplay volume settings.

And, using a mini-Jack rather than direct Airplay doesn’t affect sound quality ? 

Airport Express has a very good DAC built in. This takes the digital audio conversion outside of the device it is plugged in to. 3.5mm is limited in bandwidth but for most users the standard is sufficient for day to day use. 

I use high quality Audioquest 3.5mm cables to connect my Airport Express routers. Subjectively, I find the results pretty good.

Many thanks for your answers and other tricks about helping making possible what Bose should have give us for long time...

Again, Apologies for such a late response. All in all I have been very happy with Airport Express over the years. I made a decision to buy the devices long before promises from Bose to implement the Airplay standard to SoundTouch. Going forward I do like the fact Airplay is showing up in many devices. Hopefully this will occur for SoundTouch.

One final note about Airplay and external devices. There doesn’t appear to be any delays with Airport Express and iOS. However I have noticed a delay with my iMac and Airport Express and Apple TV. This requires a little more testing to be sure.

@AK75  How has your experience been with airport Express?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 3, 2018

Re: Airplay with Airport Express

Thanks Rickatk for your point to point answer ! 

After using airport for few times now I see advantages and disadvantages, depending on my needs... 

On the good side, sound is great and multiroom managed by SoundTouch app works very well. I set the volume in the middle of Apple settings and then adjust with SoundTouch. 

I’m using an Apple TV connected with Jack to one speaker (ST30) and an Airport connected to another speaker (ST20), which is dedicated to my IOS devices. I use only one of them at the same time and as said, using Bose App for Multiroom. 

On the bad side, rather than using SoundTouch directly the speaker needs to be turned on with the remote or Bose App and set to AUX, before listening music from my Apple TV or sending  the music with Airplay. Also, latency is important. So for listening songs with Apple TV it’s ok but not for videos. Same latency problem if I send my Apple TV steam via Aiport. Delay doesn’t seem to be regular and I was unable to fix it with latency tools of My Apple TV. 

Now, awaiting the update promised by Bose for the end of February, hoping using direct AirPlay (2) will turn on automatically the speakers and maybe improve latency for videos. 

Airport will still be usefull for people having SoundTouch series I & II to my opinion, as it’s the only way to listen songs multiroom when using AirPlay. 

Best regards 😉