Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 1, 2020

Alexa connects to radio 2 but there is no sound regardless of volume

Bose portable home speaker

Plays music from a mobile phone but when you ask Alexa to play radio 2, Alexa connects, says she's playing radio 2 but there is no sound?

Hoping someone can help

gesrey

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Alexa connects to radio 2 but there is no sound regardless of volume

Hey @gesrey,

I hope you're enjoying the sound of your Portable Home Speaker so far!

Are you asking the speaker to play BBC Radio 2? When you ask it to play, have you checked within the Bose Music app to see what the app thinks is playing?

Also, what country are you located in when trying to play this radio?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 1, 2020

Hi Sam,

I'm in the uk, Shropshire.

Alexa agrees to play BBC radio 2. Says,  "here's radio 2, BBC sounds", then nothing, no sound, nothing being played in the app.

Thanks

gesrey

Highlighted

Thanks for confirming this gesrey. Would you be able to test whether you are able to play a different BBC station? This will indicate if the problem is with playing from BBC sounds, or just BBC Radio 2. 

Let me know the outcome. 🙂

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 1, 2020

Unable to play music from any radio station. I have done 2 factory resets to have the best chance of success. I think i have accepted it isn't going to work for me. The speaker connects to my phone so i will use it to play music that way. Thanks for your help.

Regards Ges

Highlighted
Community Manager

@gesrey - My Home Speaker 500 may sometimes say "Playing BBC Radio One. BBC Sounds" when initiating the command through Alexa. The reason this happens is because when troubleshooting issues for other users, I regularly and routinely switch between both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice assistants.

I can resolve this by performing a full Alexa "cleanse" on my speaker, and get back to listening to the radio. This is largely due to the Amazon Alexa app, and my Alexa account, still housing the previous connection to the speaker, which later causes me difficulties. Try the following steps in the below order, and let me know how you get on.

Remove Alexa from your speaker

1. Open the Bose Music app
  2. Select your speaker
  3. Tap the icon of the speaker in the bottom-right of the screen
  4. Tap "Settings"
  5. Tap "Voice Assistant"
  6. Select Alexa
  7. Select "Remove" at the bottom of the page

Remove your Home Speaker from your Alexa account

1. ​​​​​​​Open the Amazon Alexa app
  2. Tap "Devices" in the bottom right of the screen
  3. Tap "All Devices"
  4. Select your Home Speaker
  5. Select "Deregister", "Deauthorize", "Remove", or any similar option you are presented with 

Remove the Bose skill within the Amazon Alexa app

1. Within the Alexa app, tap the menu button in the top-left of the screen (three horizontal bars icon)
  2. Tap "Skills & Games"
  3. Search for "Bose" using the search feature at the top-right of the screen
  4. Locate the skill called "Bose (not for SoundTouch)"
  5. Press "Disable skill"

Reconnect the Alexa skill back to your Bose Music application

1. Launch the Bose Music app once again
  2. Return to "Voice Assistant" page
  3. Select Alexa
  4. Progress through setup pages. Note: ensure the same Amazon account is used with the Amazon Alexa app when requested to sign-in to Amazon. Use your Bose Music credentials/account information when prompted to sign-in to Bose. These two windows will be noted separately. 

Let us know how you get on.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 1, 2020

Andy_B

Thankyou so much for your assistance, i wish i could say it worked. 

I followed your instructions to no avail.

I say to the speaker, Alexa play radio 2 or any other radio station and the speaker responds with "playing radio 2" followed by no sound.

Thanks again

Gesrey