Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 6, 2018

Apple Music XMLMy Music Library Issue

I selected SoundTouch as my topic because those are the speakers I own, along with the sound bar.

My issue is with the new Catalina OS update I can no longer access My Music Library. Apple announced far in advance that the new Music app, which replaces iTunes, removes support for automatically syncing playlists with third-party apps using XML. XML file support. 

Since I have a library of over 7,500 albums and over 105,000 songs I like to listen to my own curated playlists. The fact that there has not been a solution or work around for this issue is frustrating. 

What does Bose plan to do to rectify this issue? 

Thank you.

PS> I am still not crazy that Bose can not play tracks at once, but rather has dead air in between songs. It ruins the vibe of listening to live music and concept albums. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Apple Music XMLMy Music Library Issue

Hi @shawnfahy!

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community.

I am sorry to hear you have been affected by the recent iTunes playback changes as a result of the Catalina OS update. I certainly want to make sure we can find a way to allow you to play all of the music you have compiled.

In regards to playing your saved Apple Music through our SoundTouch systems, I would advise trying through the mediums of either Bluetooth or Airplay if possible. This will give you the best access to your iTunes music files. Have you been able to try this already? If not, I'd be more than happy to help you get that setup and working.

Alternatively, there is the possibility of looking into the use of a NAS drive to store the saved music you have, which can then be accessed through the Bose SoundTouch app.

I hope that gives you a couple of options in terms of what direction to take next.

Warm regards,

Sam F

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Sam_F wrote:

Hi @shawnfahy!

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community.

I am sorry to hear you have been affected by the recent iTunes playback changes as a result of the Catalina OS update. I certainly want to make sure we can find a way to allow you to play all of the music you have compiled.

In regards to playing your saved Apple Music through our SoundTouch systems, I would advise trying through the mediums of either Bluetooth or Airplay if possible. This will give you the best access to your iTunes music files. Have you been able to try this already? If not, I'd be more than happy to help you get that setup and working.

Alternatively, there is the possibility of looking into the use of a NAS drive to store the saved music you have, which can then be accessed through the Bose SoundTouch app.

I hope that gives you a couple of options in terms of what direction to take next.

Warm regards,

Sam F

Apple Music files and iTunes files are different.

I don’t believe you can play Apple Music files outside of the Apple hardware and only more recent gear at that. Any Apple Music files you have on your Apple gear won’t be playable on another device. Only iTunes files will be playable and only from a NAS device, not your iTunes library due to the problem with XML on Catalina.

Highlighted

Hi @rickatk,

Thank you for correcting my wording in the previous post.

Yes, Apple Music files specifically are apple encrypted, meaning they are only able to be played using the Apple Music service. You are also correct in that iTunes files are slightly different and can be accessed from a NAS drive (to be used within the SoundTouch app), whereas Apple Music files cannot. 

Again, you are correct that Catalina is blocking us from allowing the XML library files to be used within the SoundTouch app, which of course, is a shame. I hope that @shawnfahy is able to find a suitable workaround for the time being with their current iTunes set up.

Warm regards,

Sam F

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 25, 2018

I too am frustrated.  It has been close to 6 months now.   One of the reasons why I selected BOSE was because of this feature to sync with my iTunes library.   Since that is gone I have to play through my iPhone bluetooth connection which is not optimal considering that I cant host my entire collection on my iPhone.  Also because I have to keep it charging.   Really disappointment and no updates from BOSE on this issue.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 25, 2018

The bluetooth connection option is what I am using currently and consider this to be a temporary solution as I would like to believe that BOSE is working on this problem.   One note in your reply.   You offer a work around but do not indicate that BOSE is working towards a resolution.  This makes me believe that no resolution is in site.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@dslaney wrote:

The bluetooth connection option is what I am using currently and consider this to be a temporary solution as I would like to believe that BOSE is working on this problem.   One note in your reply.   You offer a work around but do not indicate that BOSE is working towards a resolution.  This makes me believe that no resolution is in site.

I dont think there will be a resolution. Itunes which used XML no longer exists. Apple Music doesn't use XML. There really isn’t anything to be resolved. 

Streaming Apple Music over Airplay 2 is probably the closet you will get to a fix.