Silla
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 30, 2016

Apple hi-res audio

Hello,

Apple today announced hi-res audio:

The service's 75 million-strong catalogue will be available in CD quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) or hi-res (24-bit/48-192kHz). There will be 20 million songs in lossless audio at launch, with the full 75 million available by the end of the year.

Can we enjoy the improved quality on our ST devices (SA-5 amplifier)? Is an update required, which quality is/will be supported when using Airplay - CD or higher?

Silla

12 REPLIES 12
Peter143
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 23, 2017

Re: Apple hi-res audio

Hope this "just works" I have an appletv connected to my ST300, and 3 other ST devices either wired or WIFI, my wifi works at 400 plus mb, cable connection is Gb. 

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Apple hi-res audio

@Silla wrote:

Hello,

Apple today announced hi-res audio:

The service's 75 million-strong catalogue will be available in CD quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) or hi-res (24-bit/48-192kHz). There will be 20 million songs in lossless audio at launch, with the full 75 million available by the end of the year.

Can we enjoy the improved quality on our ST devices (SA-5 amplifier)? Is an update required, which quality is/will be supported when using Airplay - CD or higher?

Silla

@Silla   Good question. Unfortunately the answer is not that simple:

https://apple.news/AqZFZPvSmSLOjscjYpZLdmQ

We can only hope the DAC’s in the Bose wifi gear will be up to the job. Looks like a big no to BlueTooth connections.

Silla
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 30, 2016

Apple hi-res audio released

Hello,

pls provide guidance on the settings we have to select in Music/audio for streaming via Airplay (CD quality?). 
Brgds,

Silla

Silla
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 30, 2016

Apple hi-res audio released - settings iOS streaming wi-fi

Hello Moderator,
Can you help me, l’m lost in these settings?
Your guidance is appreciated,

Silla

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Apple hi-res audio released

@Silla Go to Apple Music or some other music player in your iOS, macOS player. Choose your music, play your song. Then look for the music share icon. Selecting that will create a pull down menu which will display your Airplay devices. Select an connect.

Note the quality of the music will be dependent of the source music encoding and player. Airplay will do the rest. 

Also the Airplay sharing icons in the Bose apps are for information purposes only.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Apple hi-res audio released - settings iOS streaming wi-fi

@Silla I have found the source dictates the quality of the sound on the Bose speaker. For example a higher bit rate song simply sounds better than a lower quality song. Be it internally through a higher bit rate music service or over Airplay from a higher bit rate source.

I see Apple Music is starting to show Apple Lossless and Apple Digital Master titles. This stuff keeps better and better.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Silla I did a little more investigation…

Apple Music is streaming some titles in lossless and hi res lossless formats now.

If you go into your iOS Apple Music settings you can now choose higher resolution music formats. Your choices are 256kbs AAC, Apple HiRes and Apple Lossless. There has been some information that in order for the Lossless to work an external DAC. BlueTooth is out. Airplay is limited as well. 

Here is the Apple Support article on the subject. 
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212183

Silla
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 30, 2016

Apple hi-res audio released

@rickatk 

Thank you for your input, in essence my question boils down to: is there added value in selecting Losless ALAC (24 BIT/48 kHz), is this bitrate supported by Airplay and the Bose amplifier SA-5 or is it max AAC 256kb/s?

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Silla this is a typical comment on the question about airplay and Hi res files:  

https://www.technologyfocus.net/author/houshasen/

“So technically speaking, Airplay 2 is capable of Hi-Res audio but sampling rate is limited to that of CD. More common 96kHz or 192kHz are not supported.”

Airplay will support High Quality AAC 256kbps and Lossless

24-Bit / 48kHz (CD Quality) 

Sorry I don’t know if the Bose S-A5 amplifier down samples the Airplay signal. 

I suspect it does not as CD audio is still a pretty good standard. 

Try playing a few samples. If you have Apple Music give Adele 25 a try. You can download AAC and Lossless files. I really couldn’t tell the difference listening to my SoundTouch 30 at lower volumes.

I am still giving this all some thought. AAC is very convenient and sounds good on all my gear. In my car BlueTooth eliminates any possibility of Lossless. Same for my Sport ear pieces. I am not interested in additional hardware for Hi -res.