Yatess
Participant
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Aux input delay

This annoys me about my SoundTouch 20 speaker, the delay injected when I set the speaker to AUX input. My living room has a very good stereo system and I have an output of the living room amp hardwired to the Aux input of my SoundTouch which is wall mounted in my kitchen. There is about an 80 msec delay in the speaker output, enough to be very annoying especially on talk and percussive music. Bose has been no help in finding a solution for this. Thoughts, solutions?

Bose product name

SoundTouch 20

Country

Canada

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Aux input delay

Author Accepted Answer selected by Yatess

@Yatess 

The delay is related to the digital analogue conversion. The only way to correct this is to get yourself a SoundTouch Wireless Link Adaptor and attach to your receiver. From there you can use the group feature either by SoundTouch or Airplay if your SoundTouch 20 gear supports it.

The key is keeping your signal digital between devices.

This isn’t really a Bose design error.

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Author Accepted Answer selected by Yatess

@Yatess 

The delay is related to the digital analogue conversion. The only way to correct this is to get yourself a SoundTouch Wireless Link Adaptor and attach to your receiver. From there you can use the group feature either by SoundTouch or Airplay if your SoundTouch 20 gear supports it.

The key is keeping your signal digital between devices.

This isn’t really a Bose design error.

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.

View solution in original post

Yatess
Participant
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Maybe not a design error, but at least an oversight. My SoundTouch 20 receives an analog signal at the Aux input and outputs from the speaker, an analog signal. If there was no A/D or D/A, there would be no delay. Keep the Aux input signal analog. Why do any conversion? 

Yatess
Participant
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Hello,

I found the solution to my delay problem. I stream my music (Spotify & Amazon Music, etc) and TV viewing through Apps on my Apple TV box. So happens my Apple TV box sees my SoundTouch 20 as a destination via WIFI. When my Bose speaker is selected on Apple TV via WIFI the delay between the sound from my large living room stereo system and my kitchen SoundTouch is negligible. 

Scott

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Yatess wrote:

Hello,

I found the solution to my delay problem. I stream my music (Spotify & Amazon Music, etc) and TV viewing through Apps on my Apple TV box. So happens my Apple TV box sees my SoundTouch 20 as a destination via WIFI. When my Bose speaker is selected on Apple TV via WIFI the delay between the sound from my large living room stereo system and my kitchen SoundTouch is negligible. 

Scott

Indeed that would be Airplay at work.