Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2020

Bose Connectivity

I have a very frustrating problem with my Bose Soundtouch speakers. I have 6 devices around the house. 1 Soundtouch 30, 2 soundtouch 20's, 2 soundtouch 10's and a compatible Bose soundbar with soundtouch built in. All used to work perfectly and I was very pleased. I could fill the house with music! About 4 weeks ago 2 of the speakers could not be seen by the soundtouch App. No matter what I do to reconnect, they simply will not reconnect. Sometimes the app can see them but it cannot connect. Interestingly if I run spotify, it can see all devices and I can play all them separately. Spotify doesn't have the ability to group up speakers so they have to be played separately.  I've had the Wifi tested by the supplier and it is fully functional.  I'm beginning to think that the functionality of the bose system is now diminished and it can only handle four speakers at a time. Does anyone share this experience and is there a  known solution? 

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

Re: Bose Connectivity

Hey John,

Welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're no longer experiencing the grouping of your SoundTouch systems with stability.

Have you introduced any new electrical appliances into your home recently that could possibly interfere with your systems or with your router? Electronics can pick up interference from other electronics connected to the same power circuit or connected within close proximity. Try disconnecting the power cord from any such nearby electronics (i.e. wireless printer, another router, cordless phone, smart TV, etc.). If the issue is resolved, try connecting the device or your product to a different power circuit or further away. Or, if available, you can try channel the wireless settings of the interfering device (i.e. the wireless channel or frequency it uses).

Have you added any new devices to your network? The more devices, that are active on your wireless network, the more wireless network bandwidth is being used. Certain tasks, such as video streaming, gaming, video calls, data backups, etc., can use large amounts of data, which decreases available bandwidth for other devices. If you suspect a device is using too much bandwidth, turn off the device (or the app) to determine if it is the cause.
Tip: If feasible, connect devices to your network with an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi. This can free up wireless bandwidth for other devices that need to be connected wirelessly.

If neither of the above applies, I'd recommend that you reboot your router by disconnecting from power for 60 seconds and then reconnected. I'd also suggest that you power cycle each of the SoundTouch systems by removing the power for 30 seconds.

Please let me know how you get on with these steps and if the issue persists.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2020

Hi

I've just tried all of those suggestions;  a reboot of the router after being switched off for 30 minutes, All speakers switched off for 30 minutes and then re-powered. I have no new electrical equipment that might interfere with the wifi or limit the broadband bandwidth.  Spotify can see all of the speakers but the Bose App can't connect them together. ( 4 only and not the 6 that I have). I get a variety of error messages but a common one is that it can see the disconnected speaker, I then name it as part of the reconnection palarvour that it takes you through, but then it fails to connect it saying that it cant find the speaker. ( Even though its told me its there and asked me whether Id like to connect it.) Its getting very tiresome! Can anyone confirm that this App can still handle 6 speakers?

Highlighted

Thanks for coming back to us, John.

I can confirm the application can still connect to 6 speakers. 

Can you tell me if its the same two speakers which will not connect or do they change speakers? 

I would recommend forcing an update to the speakers by pressing and holding the 4 and Vol - buttons for 10 seconds. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Try logging out of you Sound Touchcacciunt then log back in.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2020

Thanks.  I'll try a reboot of each speaker as you suggest. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Rebooting the speakers is only part of the troubleshooting.

shut down the speakers. Log out of your SoundTouch account. Then log back in. Then restart the speakers.

Logging out of your account especially after updates seems to address a lot problems.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2020

Hi Everyone.

I have tried all of the above suggestions and went even further.  I got all systems in one room together. I then logged out of the app and systematically forced a rebooted of each speaker. I then went and logged on to the App. I found the same problem but worse than before. Now I can only use 1 speaker properly and that is the sound bar. The other 5 Soundtouch speakers have a variety of problems. Some can be seen by the app but cannot play and the App cannot see some of the speakers whatever is tried.  Of the three speakers ( two 20's and one 30) that have a display panel, they give a variety of error messages  and display different times!  Ive had my wifi and internet checked and use it satisfactorily for computing, streaming etc. Im on the verge of giving up!

Highlighted

Hi John,

Sorry to hear you're still having issues with this. 

There's a couple of things I would recommend in addition to the troubleshooting you have already attempted. 

1. Try using a different device to control the speakers. Check to see if the problem persists. 

2. If you're using an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad, go to your settings > Cellular (mobile) data > disable "WiFi Assist."

3. You mentioned you rebooted the speakers, have you tried resetting them to factory settings and starting fresh? On most speakers, you can perform a reset by pressing and holding Preset 1 and Vol- together for around 10 seconds. 

4. Your router may be set to automatically switch network channels to maintain the best reception. This can have a negative effect on our speakers so I'd recommend checking the Router's settings and set the network channel to a specific number.

5. Your router will more than likely operate on both a 2.4Ghz network band and a 5Ghz network band. More often than not, these bands are automatically synchronized, and your devices will switch between the strongest connection. Some of our older speakers do not support 5Ghz bands. If your SoundTouch app's device is jumping between bands, some of your old speakers may not be picked up. To remedy this, change your router's settings to split the bands, have a single network for 2.4Ghz, and another network for the 5Ghz band. 

If you'd like assistance with this, our call center support staff will be more than happy to assist. You can reach them by visiting this page.

I hope this helps! 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Try different passwords and names on each band (2.4 and 5.0Ghz)