Bose SA-5 and 4 speakers and where to place the AMP

Quiet Contributor

Bose SA-5 and 4 speakers and where to place the AMP

Hello!

Have 2 B&W AM1 right now outdoor but want to buy 2 more.
Is the Bose SA-5 able to deliver good sound to all 4?

Another question: the best place to put the Amp is my attic, is that a OK spot to place the AMP. Can be hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter (around 4-60degrees celcius)

B&W AM1 spec:

Nominal Impedance
8Ω (5.2 Ω min) 

Recommended amplifier power
20W - 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Bose SA-5 and 4 speakers and where to place the AMP

Hi Choffe85, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. 

The output connections for the SA-5 can have two pairs of speaker outputs (1 pair for Speakers A; 1 pair for Speakers B) meaning that you can have all 4. Also I wouldn't recommend placing the Amp in the attic as the temperature range for the SA-5 is 0 to 40 °C. 

In regards to power output the maximum would be 100 W per channel, nominal 8 ohms per pair. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Quiet Contributor

Thank you very much for you answers.
Does that mean that my 4 speakers will sound fine with the amp? I promice I wont place it in the attic Smiley Happy

Another questions please: Is it possible when I have installed all my 4 speakers to only run 2? Lets say that I dont want sound on the "A" speakers that are outside but I want sound on my "B" speakers that are inside my glass room, is that possible?

Hi Choffe85, 

Thanks for reaching back out. The 4 speakers will be fine with the amp. 

It won't be possible for you to run the two speakers separately.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B  

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

As for quality of sound, this amp only does 100W per channel, so 2 speakers will sound best, 4 speakers will share the 100W per channel and give better coverage, but not quite the sound quality (however I would think many people wouldn't be able to tell the difference).

So if you are just after the sound to cover a larger area, connect 2 pairs.  If you are after better sound in a small area, it may not be worth it.

As they said above though you cannot split the sound, so if you play sound through them, all four play the same volume and you can't seperate them or control them seperately.